BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
737Drvr
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3

Transmission Question

From a recent web review I read on the 1M, the authors said they liked the tranny in the 1M over the DCT in the M3. Can't blame them as I am in the camp of rowing my own gears. So my question is this: Is the 6spd manual in the 1M the same that is in the M3? I like both cars and am possibly in the market for one of the two and researching them both. I haven't seen the 1M in person yet but my local CA is going to call me when one arrives later this week at the dealer. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

If you read some of the reviews i.e.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534577

"
Transmission
The 1M's gearbox is its one part we can say is better than the M3's, with no qualifications. It's an ultra-slick shifting transmission where each shift smoothly and neatly clicks into gear. There is simply no slop or stickiness, which the M3 exhibits on occasion. The 1M's gear knob also appears to be shorter, which leads to shorter shift travel, and a faster shift. It was a pleasure to use in all the conditions we encountered during the day."

It doesn't sound like its the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
I believe the manual in the 1M is from the 135i but with some lower friction parts. Some reviewers prefer the manual in the 1M over the manual in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
737Drvr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
If you read some of the reviews i.e.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534577

"
Transmission
The 1M's gearbox is its one part we can say is better than the M3's, with no qualifications. It's an ultra-slick shifting transmission where each shift smoothly and neatly clicks into gear. There is simply no slop or stickiness, which the M3 exhibits on occasion. The 1M's gear knob also appears to be shorter, which leads to shorter shift travel, and a faster shift. It was a pleasure to use in all the conditions we encountered during the day."

It doesn't sound like its the same.
That was the review I was referring to. It didn't sound the same to me either as I've read some complaints from M3 owners on the 1-2 shift occasionally grinding. Also, I've only driven a DCT M3 and can not comment on the M3's manual. The dealer that is getting the 1M also now has a 6spd manual M3. If possible, I plan on driving both back to back to compare the two cars. Oddly enough, I see that you drive a GTR and that is on my radar as well. I wish it came in a 6 speed manual but understand that the transmission is a piece of the puzzle that makes that car so quick. How do you like it so far? I know these 3 are completely different cars but I like all of them for their own reasons. Tough decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

The GTR is great to a certain extent. It beats everything on the street for sure. I don't care for the transmission when its in manual, it's unresponsive even in R mode. I just leave it on auto all the time. I only enjoy the car when I hit over 75 mph and I'm always afraid of getting a ticket when I'm at that speed especially on surface streets. If you're already driving Gallardo Superlegger you probably won't see a huge difference. The M3 and the 1M IMO are more practical. Get whatever floats your boat.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKG View Post
I believe the manual in the 1M is from the 135i but with some lower friction parts. Some reviewers prefer the manual in the 1M over the manual in the M3.
Correct!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Correct!
+ "semi" dry sump pan.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

The compact six-speed transmission with dry sump lubrication is a new development. Its suitability for high torques is combined with a weight of just 43 kg – much lighter than similar gearboxes. The short M gear lever underlines the crisp and precise gear change – the traditional sportiness of this elite class.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486591
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
Get whatever floats your boat.
Agree! Are you a girl by any chance spinster? I'm hoping so and if yeah, big hearty welcome. We need more girls around here.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
737Drvr
Private
Rep

Thanks for the responses. As I have not owned a BMW, I like to hear the input of the owners themselves. This helps me make the decision of getting what "floats my boat." I'll go drive all three and see what happens from there. Maybe I can talk the wife into 2 of the 3.
Appreciate 0