BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW Ambient Air

08-30-2021, 02:48 AM   #1
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

BMW Ambient Air

Dose 2021 or 2022 X7 come with Ambient Air as default?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Nope, it’s one of the top tier options like night vision that was removed after 2020 models because of parts shortages. It’s incredible and one more immersive tool that you don’t know how effective it can be until you experience it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Nope, it's one of the top tier options like night vision that was removed after 2020 models because of parts shortages. It's incredible and one more immersive tool that you don't know how effective it can be until you experience it.
@MystroX5. My 2020 has ambient air but I have yet to use it. I'm scared to lose the new car smell which is slowly fading. Is there a particular scent that you would recommend? Is there one that helps keep the new car smell around? I know new car smell is just a mixture of glues, plastics, leather etc. but I'm keen to it. Also, what "mode" do you have your ambient air on? Can't I adjust how strong it is and how often it sprays? Any other neat tricks with the ambient air that I should make sure to use? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jszlaga View Post
@MystroX5. My 2020 has ambient air but I have yet to use it. I'm scared to lose the new car smell which is slowly fading. Is there a particular scent that you would recommend? Is there one that helps keep the new car smell around? I know new car smell is just a mixture of glues, plastics, leather etc. but I'm keen to it. Also, what "mode" do you have your ambient air on? Can't I adjust how strong it is and how often it sprays? Any other neat tricks with the ambient air that I should make sure to use? Thanks.
Your missing out. The system is all automated and very elaborate using its dispersion and air ionization.
I love “Golden Suite No. 2”. It mixes with the Merino leather and smells amazing. Like a ultra high end leather boutique. I get so many compliments with this combination as my vehicle still smells new but with this fragrance most people say the combination smells like “money” or “sexy”. Don’t underestimate the power of the nose used to create a environment especially with the ambient lighting. I run the ambient air on level 1 or sometimes 2 depending how I want to mix the overall scent. I haven’t tried any other scents as I love the vide of #2 Golden Suite. I will branch out eventually with other sense overtime.
Appreciate 1
Jszlaga471.50
      08-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
NYCillini
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMX X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Your missing out. The system is all automated and very elaborate using its dispersion and air ionization.
I love “Golden Suite No. 2”. It mixes with the Merino leather and smells amazing. Like a ultra high end leather boutique. I get so many compliments with this combination as my vehicle still smells new but with this fragrance most people say the combination smells like “money” or “sexy”. Don’t underestimate the power of the nose used to create a environment especially with the ambient lighting. I run the ambient air on level 1 or sometimes 2 depending how I want to mix the overall scent. I haven’t tried any other scents as I love the vide of #2 Golden Suite. I will branch out eventually with other sense overtime.
How many miles does a cartridge last? Or, how much time/hours do you think it lasts?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCillini View Post
How many miles does a cartridge last? Or, how much time/hours do you think it lasts?
It depends on how much the climate system is on. You can also run two different fragrances as there is two slots for two different scent cartridges. These are controlled via the iDrive Which scent you want and what level.

I am still on my first cartridge from last September but my X7 wasn’t driven a lot because of Covid. I believe I can check the level via the iDrive control as the scent cartridges have a chip in them. I suspect mine is probably almost used up by now and ready for a new cartridge. I run mine on setting number 1 which would greatly extend its scent/life over setting 3. I think the cartridges are rather affordable considering how long they last. Around $35 if you look online.

https://www.bmw.com/en-au/offers-and...uite-no-2.html

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-30-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nope, it's one of the top tier options like night vision that was removed after 2020 models because of parts shortages. It's incredible and one more immersive tool that you don't know how effective it can be until you experience it.
Your comment made me want to cancel my M50i order and wait for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #8
Nath4n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7_M50d(2020), X5_30d(2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpanjy View Post
You comment made me want to Vance my M50i order and wait for it.
His comment made me to look for the two cartridge boxes which I "don't need this crap" threw them somewhere when I got my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath4n View Post
Quote:
You comment made me want to Vance my M50i order and wait for it.
His comment made me to look for the two cartridge boxes which I "I don't need this crap" threw them somewhere when I got my car.
That hurts me. Is your trash bin still out there?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep

It's funny, my 18 year old daughter loves the smell of the Ambient Air saying it smells like a high end department store. To each their own. I'm glad I got it on my 40i.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
mitch65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7

Quote:
Nope, it’s one of the top tier options like night vision that was removed after 2020 models because of parts shortages. It’s incredible and one more immersive tool that you don’t know how effective it can be until you experience it.
Not exactly, Night Vision, Rear Entertainment & Ambient Air were discontinued in the USA because of the low take rate, they are available in other countries, my cousin has them on his 2021 X7 in Australia, where they still offer the Offroad Package as well, very few Soccer Mom's in The USA care about those items and dealers don't order those for stock inventory because most buyers do not want to pay for them.
The Harmon Kardon and Wireless Charging missing from the options list are due to the parts shortage.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      08-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #12
superpanjy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If I can get parts, possible to retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 02:12 AM   #13
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I do wish BMW hadn't canceled Ambient Air in MY2021.
I for sure would have got it on my rig.

Quote:
If I can get parts, possible to retrofit?
Search the forum here. One guy looked into it, wasn't practical.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:31 AM   #14
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
Not exactly, Night Vision, Rear Entertainment & Ambient Air were discontinued in the USA because of the low take rate, they are available in other countries, my cousin has them on his 2021 X7 in Australia, where they still offer the Offroad Package as well, very few Soccer Mom's in The USA care about those items and dealers don't order those for stock inventory because most buyers do not want to pay for them.
The Harmon Kardon and Wireless Charging missing from the options list are due to the parts shortage.
“Soccer Moms” have nothing to do with it nor is it the direct demographic of the 7 series models. 7 series across the board had night vision, RES, ambient air removed because of parts shortages and having limited parts reductions to the over seas smaller market. This was reported when it was removed to dealers. BMW started with the top tier luxury options to start to eliminate and as time and parts shortages wore on, started to cannibalize basic options especially from mid tier 5 series all the way down now to no soft close doors on the X5 and base audio. There are a lot of little cut backs besides reported options like cloth sunshades instead on a full alcantara headliner that don’t get reported.

BMW Audi and MB are having to make these changes very quietly hoping no one noticed. I test drove the new MB S580 yesterday and all 7 on the lot had credits for luxury options on their new flagship for all kinds of luxury items that were not included. It was very off putting at this price point. “Luxury seating” was one very big omission they were crediting on every one of the new S class models I looked at. They even had a Maybach GLS 600 that the SA showed me some items that were missing because of parts/material shortages. It wasn’t the dealers fault but luckily the auto market is super hot now so desperate buyers will take what they can get. They (MB dealer) seemed to think full options won’t return until model year 2024. I got a similar projection from BMW. Everyone is hoping for 2024 models to be once again have all the options available for order in the USA but no one really knows.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-31-2021 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:55 AM   #15
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
I don't know why the don't offer it I. North America along with night vision . I work in assembly and see these options on a good few cars going to Europe.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      08-31-2021, 05:57 AM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx3805 View Post
I don't know why the don't offer it I. North America along with night vision . I work in assembly and see these options on a good few cars.
It should come back in 2023-2024.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 09:17 PM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
I don't know why the don't offer it I. North America along with night vision . I work in assembly and see these options on a good few cars going to Europe.
I even asked multiple times if I could special order Ambient Air and Night Vision for my car (in addition to Full Merino Black Leather), as I knew they were still available on other X7 variants/regions. Was told a hard no every time.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #18
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I think its an issue, as everyone here is saying, that is due to parts shortages. If you have a limited X number of Y option, then you want to allocate it to a market where you are confident X will cover all the orders. That way the offerings are still consistent within region.

Although I have seem regional differences due to interest. Several years ago I was looking at a 5 series, and 4 zone climate is note available in the US, but it was common overseas - in Europe even the BMWs for rent at Sixt had 4 zone climate. It was also available in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #19
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Here is how the Ambient Air works via manual.

Ambient air package Concept
The Ambient Air Package can be used to clean and scent the interior air with high-quality fragrances.

Ionization is used to clean the air from sus‐pended particles. Together with the selected fragrance, ionization contributes to well-being and relaxation while driving.

General information
Two different fragrances can be selected in the vehicle. A variety of other fragrances is possible by replacing the fragrance cartridges.
The following criteria can influence the percep‐ tion of scents in the car's interior:

▷ Automatic climate control settings.
▷ Temperature and air humidity.
▷ Time of day and season.
▷ Physical condition of the vehicle occupants, for instance fatigue.
BMW recommends the use of genuine BMW fragrance cartridges.
The genuine BMW fragrance cartridges are not suitable for refilling. When a cartridge is empty, replace it with a new fragrance cartridge.

Opening the Climate menu
Press the button on the upper side.
The Climate comfort menu is displayed.
Individual settings can be entered for some of the climate control functions.
Ionization
Concept
Ionization cleans the car's interior air of sus‐ pended particles.
Switching on/off
Via iDrive:
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Climate control"

4. "Air quality" 5. "Ionization"

Fragrancing
General information
Fragrancing is done at intervals in order to avoid a habituation effect.
Two fragrance cartridges in the vehicle allow switching between the fragrances.
The fragrance cartridges are located in the glove compartment.
To ensure a pleasant fragrance inside of the ve‐ hicle when starting the trip, fragrancing can occur prior to the trip. The system is automatically switched on with the parked-car ventilation if fra‐ grancing was switched on at the end of the last trip.
Functional requirements
▷ The fragrance cartridges are sufficiently filled.
▷ The interior temperature is be‐
tween 41 °F/+5 °C and 104 °F/+40 °C.
▷ Open the vents to allow the fragrance to flow out.
Selecting the fragrance
The car's interior is fragranced depending on the selected fragrance.
Two different fragrances can be selected in the vehicle.
Via iDrive:
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Climate control"
4. "Fragrance"
5. "Fragrance"
6. Select the desired fragrance.
The setting is stored for the driver profile cur‐ rently used.

Switching fragrancing on/off, adjusting intensity
Via iDrive:
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Climate control" 4. "Fragrance"
5. "Fragrance"
Fragrancing is switched on or off. 6. "Level"
7. Select the desired setting. Highest intensity at Level 3.
Display
The illustrations on the Control Display show the actual filling level of the fragrance cartridges.
Via iDrive:
1. "CAR"
2. "Settings"
3. "Climate control"
4. "Fragrance"
When an empty fragrance cartridge is indicated, the cartridge still contains a fluid carrying the fra‐ grance. However, it is not sufficient for fragranc‐ ing.
When the fragrance cartridges are empty, a Check Control message is displayed once.
Inserting fragrance cartridges
The fragrance cartridges are located in the glove compartment.
Appreciate 0