BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Please explain window tinting in simple terms for a mom who is confused

06-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Please explain window tinting in simple terms for a mom who is confused

Does anybody have recommendations for window tinting in the Portland Oregon area? If not specifically in my area, what tint combos have you used on your x7? I attempted to do a search and I found one thread, but as a single mom (my ex husband was the one who would handle all things car related) who isn't really knowledgeable about things like this, most of what was said went right over my head lol.

Here's my issue...I have a 1 year old that is in a rear facing car seat and when the sun blasts her face, she gets PISSED. I can't use the window shade things that you buy on sites like Amazon bc she somehow manages to yank them off every time. Ideally, I'd like to get all the windows tinted to match as closely as possible. How do they accomplish that if the back windows are already tinted? Can they tint the back ones darker then the stock tint that it came with and then put extra dark tint on the fronts to make them even? If somebody could explain this in really simple terms I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Is this the thread your talking about? It looks like it has some fairly good, but yes, very specific information: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687862

You'll see that term "VLT" throw around quite a bit, it stands for the Visible Light Transfer and you'll see it as a percentage, the percentage of light that passes through the window. So the lower VLT numbers mean less light thus a darker tint. Most shops will help determine what should be used on what windows to get a match, so picking a good shop is key. Finding a good shop on your own if you don't have any local guidance would usually mean looking for certified dealers for the top brands (Xpel, Llumar, Suntek, Huper Optik, etc.) and looking at their reviews.

A lot of people are saying a good 15% ceramic film on the front is a close match to the back/factory windows. If you want to go darker all around, you could certainly add a lighter film to the back and darker to the front to achieve your desired match. That might mean going something like 5% on the front and 60% on the back.

Also note there are laws that vary by state with how dark the front windows could be. Looks like OR has this at 35%, so going 15% on the front to match the back as-is would be "illegal"... many people ignore this but YMMV. Your front windows are not 100% currently, so getting to 35% or whatever you desire might mean adding 40% to achieve it. Again, this is something a good shop should help determine. You should be able to make an appointment and let them know you want to end up with a close match on the sides resulting near 10% (or whatever you desire) and 70% (or whatever you desire) on the windshield (or let that stay as-is), and let them figure it out.

Regardless of how good the shop is, just to set your expectations, it's not going to be 100% match front to back, but they should be able to get it close enough that you can't tell (like you see in the thread linked above). Similar you might ask for 15% and they end up +/- 5%. While there certainly is a science to it, each film line might only have 3 or 4 different options, and you're putting it on some windows that already have a non-100% VLT glaze on them, so they just have to work with what's available.
      06-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
bri1042 , snowbimmer , 02M3ForMe ... any recommendations on a Portland tint shop to help a new member out?
      06-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

While I haven’t used them personally, I’ve heard good things about 503 Motoring.

https://yelp.to/8M5c7HHiNgb
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Yup, 503. Great shop. Ask for Iain Gordon.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #6
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
Is this the thread your talking about? It looks like it has some fairly good, but yes, very specific information: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687862

You'll see that term "VLT" throw around quite a bit, it stands for the Visible Light Transfer and you'll see it as a percentage, the percentage of light that passes through the window. So the lower VLT numbers mean less light thus a darker tint. Most shops will help determine what should be used on what windows to get a match, so picking a good shop is key. Finding a good shop on your own if you don't have any local guidance would usually mean looking for certified dealers for the top brands (Xpel, Llumar, Suntek, Huper Optik, etc.) and looking at their reviews.

A lot of people are saying a good 15% ceramic film on the front is a close match to the back/factory windows. If you want to go darker all around, you could certainly add a lighter film to the back and darker to the front to achieve your desired match. That might mean going something like 5% on the front and 60% on the back.

Also note there are laws that vary by state with how dark the front windows could be. Looks like OR has this at 35%, so going 15% on the front to match the back as-is would be "illegal"... many people ignore this but YMMV. Your front windows are not 100% currently, so getting to 35% or whatever you desire might mean adding 40% to achieve it. Again, this is something a good shop should help determine. You should be able to make an appointment and let them know you want to end up with a close match on the sides resulting near 10% (or whatever you desire) and 70% (or whatever you desire) on the windshield (or let that stay as-is), and let them figure it out.

Regardless of how good the shop is, just to set your expectations, it's not going to be 100% match front to back, but they should be able to get it close enough that you can't tell (like you see in the thread linked above). Similar you might ask for 15% and they end up +/- 5%. While there certainly is a science to it, each film line might only have 3 or 4 different options, and you're putting it on some windows that already have a non-100% VLT glaze on them, so they just have to work with what's available.
Omg you're amazing!! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that in a way that I can understand it, especially the abbreviations bc those were making my head spin lol. I have gotten one recommendation from a friend and the installer uses Suntek. I'll keep them in mind if I don't get more ideas on this post from the members you tagged here. Thank you again for the thorough response!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
One other tint variable for you to consider that was not mentioned is heat rejection. If you want to keep your car cooler, then you may want to consider this feature (even though you live in the Pacific NW ). Not all tints reject heat the same and just because a tint is dark does not mean it rejects heat well. A good tint shop will be able to give you a good recommendation for tint that has good heat rejection properties. But be warned, you get what you pay for with tint. So the higher quality tint with good heat rejection will be the more expensive stuff.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 06:56 PM   #8
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
One other tint variable for you to consider that was not mentioned is heat rejection. If you want to keep your car cooler, then you may want to consider this feature (even though you live in the Pacific NW ). Not all tints reject heat the same and just because a tint is dark does not mean it rejects heat well. A good tint shop will be able to give you a good recommendation for tint that has good heat rejection properties. But be warned, you get what you pay for with tint. So the higher quality tint with good heat rejection will be the more expensive stuff.
Quote:
Excellent point, thank you! For heat rejection, do you think it's a good idea to get the windshield tinted as well? It seems that the sun's largest point of entry into the vehicle would be the windshield so that kinda makes sense to tint that as well right?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocogrey1985 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Excellent point, thank you! For heat rejection, do you think it's a good idea to get the windshield tinted as well? It seems that the sun's largest point of entry into the vehicle would be the windshield so that kinda makes sense to tint that as well right?
Yes, I would recommend you get the windshield done if you the full benefit of heat rejection window tint (along with the front side windows at a minimum). 70% for the windshield is as dark as I would go as it does not affect visibility or "look" illegal (this is what I have on my X7). Also keep in mind that just like there are legal limits for the front side windows, there are similar limits for the windshield (typically no tint). But if you stick to 70% on the windshield you should not have a problem.

For my X7, I went with 3M Crystaline tint on the front side windows (35%), windshield (70%), and sunroof (70%). This does not match the rear windows, but that was not the look I wanted. I left the factory tinted windows alone as their heat rejection was good enough for me. 3M Crystaline is one of the higher end heat rejecting tints.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

I was worried about my tint being too dark, inhibiting my outward view on very dark nights. But my final tint result turned out pretty perfect, IMHO. It's fairly dark from the outside, inhibiting people being able to look in. But just right, for looking out. Also tinted the windshield ever so slightly, but focusing on IR and UV rejection. Overall, keeps the heat out, nice and comfy inside. I think if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the exact same products and tints.

EDIT: most of the time, I don't even have to wear sunglasses. The tint's that good, with no worries of UV and IR, since my tint catches it.

Details and many pictures on pages 2 and 3 of my road trip thread. And more information here as well: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=66
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!

Last edited by Wild Blue; 06-04-2021 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #11
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I would recommend you get the windshield done if you the full benefit of heat rejection window tint (along with the front side windows at a minimum). 70% for the windshield is as dark as I would go as it does not affect visibility or "look" illegal (this is what I have on my X7). Also keep in mind that just like there are legal limits for the front side windows, there are similar limits for the windshield (typically no tint). But if you stick to 70% on the windshield you should not have a problem.

For my X7, I went with 3M Crystaline tint on the front side windows (35%), windshield (70%), and sunroof (70%). This does not match the rear windows, but that was not the look I wanted. I left the factory tinted windows alone as their heat rejection was good enough for me. 3M Crystaline is one of the higher end heat rejecting tints.
I would love to see some pictures of what yours looks like if you don't mind sharing! I know for sure I'll need to do the rear factory windows at least a little darker to address the sun in my daughter's eyes issue, but I'm really curious what your windshield tint looks like.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 05:27 AM   #12
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Out of curiosity, does your X7 not have the powered rear shades? Wouldn't raising those solve your issue. I agree tinting is also a great way to go but I'm not sure if you were already aware that the X7 has that feature.
Appreciate 1
RAJENT60.00
      06-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Out of curiosity, does your X7 not have the powered rear shades? Wouldn't raising those solve your issue. I agree tinting is also a great way to go but I'm not sure if you were already aware that the X7 has that feature.
Mine does not have those. I wish it did.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Don't forget to check your local state laws regarding window tint. Some states like CA don't allow tint on the front windows. While other states only allow a certain % VLT on front and/or rear windows.

You could get a ticket if you go too dark.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #15
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

we tend to just tint anyway

crystalline 40 all around, 60 on the windshield. The tint is -good- on the rears with the roll-up shades. Without the shades, tint alone, it's still quite good, but the boys can't pass out like that. I'd not go darker in the back because night visibility begins to suffer a little bit.
      06-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #16
Malu59RT
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

I just had my X7 tinted, and went with XPEL's XR Black. The XR Prime has the highest heat rejection, but has a slightly bluish tint, and I didn't want that making the front two windows look a different color from the tempered glass in the back. I did 70% for the front windshield, 20% for the front two windows, and 35% for everything else. I wanted the IR rejection for the passengers, and a little extra privacy. The front windshield is a must here in Texas. I definitely feel the heat on my arms when I drive, otherwise.

06-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #17
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would love to see some pictures of what yours looks like if you don't mind sharing! I know for sure I'll need to do the rear factory windows at least a little darker to address the sun in my daughter's eyes issue, but I'm really curious what your windshield tint looks like.
Here are a few pics of mine at different angles (cloudy day unfortunately)…
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #18
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Meant to add in my previous post, most of the time, I don't even have to wear sunglasses. The tint's that good, with no worries of UV and IR, since my tint catches it.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #19
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Understood. I don't know why I thought "0417 Rear electric side window shades" was standard. I guess I was mistaken. My tint info is in this thread with pics etc. hope it helps:

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=Hurricane
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #20
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Understood. I don't know why I thought "0417 Rear electric side window shades" was standard. I guess I was mistaken. My tint info is in this thread with pics etc. hope it helps:

Thank you! Yours looks amazing! I'm thinking of doing the exact same % as yours, but maybe a little lighter on the windshield. It doesn't effect your ability to see at night?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #21
Cocogrey1985
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you so much to everyone who gave me some fantastic advice in a way that I can understand! Truly means a lot that y'all helped me out here. I feel like I can make an informed decision now instead of just passing my car off to a tint place and letting them choose. Much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #22
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! Yours looks amazing! I'm thinking of doing the exact same % as yours, but maybe a little lighter on the windshield. It doesn't effect your ability to see at night?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks it does not bother me at night but I used to have darker tint before so by comparison this is easy. I would always suggest lighter to anyone who feels not as confident with this size of vehicle in the night. I also have night vision so that helps as well in the dark. Safety first
Appreciate 1