BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Questions on Remote Services/Using Phone as a key

02-06-2024, 09:53 AM   #1
Archie007
Private
Rep
Drives: None yet

Questions on Remote Services/Using Phone as a key

Hoping to clarify/confirm my understanding of some concepts.

Car is a 2020 M50i.

I dled and created an account on BMW Connect. I set up a driver profile so I can see info and trip data on the car via the app.

I know you can set up your phone as a digital key, but I haven't been able to get that to work successfully. I'm also not sure if that is required to get remote services to lock/unlock the car etc.

When I go to add my phone as a key, I place it in the phone holder area, and it just gives me a message in the attached screenshot. I've tried this with my Android and my wife's iphone, both give me the same message while the phone is in the tray

I've seen people mention paying for a subscription - do i need to pay for that feature?

Do i need to set up my phone as a digital key in order to be able to lock/unlock doors?

Lastly, isn't that a security concern? Will the car unlock if you approach with your phone in your pocket without having to unlock your phone?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
Andrey K
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 7 g70

as far as i know its is unavailable in android. if you tried it at your wifes iphone you should install bmwapp and add bmw id at this app. and on the photo that you show here you are trying to add key card, not a digital iphone key. digital key available at bmw vehicled prodiced from 07/2020 as i remember
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:10 PM   #3
mayorblurps
Rep
Drives: 2022 g07 x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey K View Post
as far as i know its is unavailable in android. if you tried it at your wifes iphone you should install bmwapp and add bmw id at this app. and on the photo that you show here you are trying to add key card, not a digital iphone key. digital key available at bmw vehicled prodiced from 07/2020 as i remember
Digital key and digital key+ are both available on Android.

Something weird going on in OP's case - not sure as neither Android nor iPhone worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:29 PM   #4
themama
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7, 2016 BMW 535xi

Security Concern:
It's no different than how your key for works. I recall we actually have to get the phone closer to handle before door unlocks. I only used once, so don't remember clearly.

I did leave my bmw card in the tray to code the key. Is your phone tray charging working fine?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #5
77SU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i; 2022 X5 40i

I've had trouble connecting my S23Ultra to my 2024 40i. During one of the numerous sessions with the geniuses, they asked me to remove my Otterbox just to see if that helped. It didn't, but maybe in your situation just to determine that you have a good connection in the phone tray.

With the 2020, I don't believe you would have the UWB capability, so you will have to tap the phone against the handle, using the NFC chip. This brings up the matter of checking the settings on your phones to make certain the NFC connection is turned on.

I was finally able to get my Digital Key Plus to connect by making my wife the primary on the X7 (and the X5) and her phone (also S23 Ultra) connected just as easily as everyone has described the process to be. Then she shared the digital keys with me. What is not happening though, is my phone does not unlock/lock as I approach/depart the X7. I'm having to touch the handle to lock/unlock and put the phone in the tray to start the car. My next step is going to Samsung and tell them my UWB is not working.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:00 PM   #6
Archie007
Private
Rep
Drives: None yet

I think I was confusing digital key plus with key card with remote services.

I bought it used so it didn't come with the key card. I think that means I can't add the key card to my phones wallet, digitally?

I also thought I needed to do that in order to be able to lock and unlock the car but apparently I just need to pay 150 a year for that?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 06:16 AM   #7
lloyd99
lloyd99
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Garage List
2021 X7 M50i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie007 View Post
I think I was confusing digital key plus with key card with remote services.

I bought it used so it didn't come with the key card. I think that means I can't add the key card to my phones wallet, digitally?
I purchased a 2021 CPO about a year ago - from an out of state dealer. Check the user's manual book - that is where I found the card. That said, I could not get that card to program, Genius at local dealer was also unsuccessful. They have to be coded to the VIN, so on a whim, I ordered a replacement key card from my local dealer. Cost was around $50. It arrived 2 days later, and I was able to successfully program it following the standard steps in less than 30 seconds. So if you don't find a card in your owners book, you might ask your local to order a replacement for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 06:58 AM   #8
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

I think using phone as key was made available starting in 2021 MY.

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:25 PM   #9
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by themama View Post
Security Concern:
It's no different than how your key for works. I recall we actually have to get the phone closer to handle before door unlocks. I only used once, so don't remember clearly.

I did leave my bmw card in the tray to code the key. Is your phone tray charging working fine?
Yesterday I had an interesting thing happen. I was wife my wife and we parked the car and as I am used to keep the key in my pocket I walked away from the car and it locked itself. When we were coming back go the car, I looked for the key in my pocket and could not find it. I panicked since I thought I had lost it since I remembered the car locked when I left so in my mind I had the key with me. I approached the car and touched the handle and the car unlocked. I found the key inside the car. Thus, it locked because of my phone but it is scary that it locks with the key inside since anyone could have broken into the car and take it as the original key was inside.
Appreciate 0