BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

07-07-2019, 06:23 AM   #23
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
I always use Adaptive on my G12, the ride gets slightly smoother as it evens out the repeating vibrations. It is softer than Comfort Plus.

Here are the notes form the G12 technical training docs

In order to prepare the chassis and suspension for the different road conditions as early as possible, the following data is read in from various control units and processed to allow predictive control:
• If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode. Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible.
If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic changeover to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route.
Route guidance need not be activated for this.
• The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in the information of the stereo camera in the windscreen independently of the selected driving mode and processes this.
In addition, a large quantity of additional information such as the driving style analysis is read in by the Vertical Dynamic Platform (VDP) control unit and used for predictive control of the standard Electronic Damper Control (EDC) as well as the electric active stabilizers (EARSV).
Obstacles can therefore be overcome predictively and with even more comfort. The driver is even less aware of bumps. The body of the vehicle does not have to move vertically to the same extent since the chassis and suspension react intelligently and predictively to road bumps.
The optional chassis and suspension package “Active Comfort Drive” therefore offers the following advantages:
• Reduced compression and rebound (EDC).
• Reduced pitch movement (EDC).
• Faster decay of vehicle body reverberations (EDC).
• High driving dynamics when cornering thanks to active roll stabilization (EARSV).
• High comfort for straight-ahead driving due to decoupling of anti-roll bar halves and thus avoidance of road bump "copying" (EARSV).
The functions of the chassis and suspension package "Active Comfort Drive” are available in different forms in the following positions of the driving experience switch.
This is great thanks... in typical bmw fashion, I find it somewhat contradictory in a few instances...

The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in the information of the stereo camera in the windscreen independently of the selected driving mode and processes this.

If “this” is referring to the text that follows, it’s at odds with my experience (and yours) - I also find the ride smoother in Adaptive, as though the bumps are better muted out in that mode. Yet that text

Maybe it’s me but I find BMW’s opening and closing sentences of this section somewhat contradictory:
If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary....automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route. Route guidance need not be activated for this.
Unless “navigation data” is just “map data” and not synonymous with “route guidance”?

Thanks again very much.

Last edited by Thrangster; 07-07-2019 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #24
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

I have been driving a 2016 7 series without the camera, and Friday borrowed a friends X7 that had it. I personally did not find the X7 doing better on bumps in any of the modes. Granted the X7 is much bigger then the 7 series, but I was still disappointed by how it handled New York City streets.

The truth is that Mercedes charges like 8k for just their camera suspension, while bmw charges around 4k for the camera plus other features. This would seem to indicate that its mostly a gimmick with limited actual value.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #25
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

The roll assistance is the one single reason to get this option esp with a large SUV like the X7
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #26
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
The DHP also gives us rear axis steering and anti tilting function, so I'm ok with the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 04:31 AM   #27
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
I have been driving a 2016 7 series without the camera, and Friday borrowed a friends X7 that had it. I personally did not find the X7 doing better on bumps in any of the modes. Granted the X7 is much bigger then the 7 series, but I was still disappointed by how it handled New York City streets.

The truth is that Mercedes charges like 8k for just their camera suspension, while bmw charges around 4k for the camera plus other features. This would seem to indicate that its mostly a gimmick with limited actual value.
I’m in your camp on this. I have the option, and I wouldn’t say it’s obviously working miracles for me. Through curves the vehicle is on par with my last big suv (2018 gls550 w/active curve) but with a shade more body roll than the GLS. It’s definitely more comfortable across all suspension settings, however.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #28
brennerckk
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueju1121 View Post
The DHP also gives us rear axis steering and anti tilting function, so I'm ok with the price.
But you can get the rear axis steering without full DHP for about 2k less. The rear axis certainly seems valuable. Not sure about full DHP, my dealer said they have never ordered an X7 with full DHP but do the rear axil frequently.
Appreciate 0