BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

06-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #1
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Active Comfort Drive with Road Preview

Anyone know if this is an always on feature, or only in certain drive modes/conditions? I don't see any documentation or settings relating to this at all in my car... (and yes I ordered the option...)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
I believe it’s always on. And it’s AHHHHMAZING! most comfortable ride ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I have the option and I love it. I believe it is always on but if you don't have navigation activated it will only make adjustments based on inputs from front cameras. It will also consider navigation info if you have it activated.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

While I agree that the overall ride is great on the car, I sort of expected this feature to erase smaller road cracks, patches, and potholes, but it doesn’t seem to do that.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      06-27-2019, 02:46 AM   #5
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
[QUOTE=Thrangster;24961983]While I agree that the overall ride is great on the car, I sort of expected this feature to erase smaller road cracks, patches, and potholes, but it doesn’t seem to do that.[/QUOTE

I feel like mine does just that. Maybe not erased completely, but I’ve never driven a car that makes these nuisances disappear as much as this one. Even in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

LOL.

I can't verify the accuracy of this, but the G05 forum discussion said you have to have an active navigation routing going, for the road preview function to work.

Would make sense, that the car needs to know where it's going, to be able to anticipate the road coming up.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
While I agree that the overall ride is great on the car, I sort of expected this feature to erase smaller road cracks, patches, and potholes, but it doesn’t seem to do that.
It will not save you from potholes. Those still feel like they always have with 21 or 22" low profile SUV tires.

That being said, the day to day comfort under normal circumstances is extraordinary IMO. I don't know if that's because of cameras scanning the road, or if it's because BMW has a lot of experience with run flats and suspension tuning. The Rolls Royce Ghost has been riding on low profile run flats for more than a decade, for example. So I think some of that know-how has trickled down to this vehicle.

Generally, BMW's SPORT mode suspension has ridden better than Benz's, for example, for a long time and across the whole range of vehicles. From 3 series to X7 it's been true. So I'm not sure what exactly these cameras are doing and how much of a difference they are making but nonetheless the end result is a fantastically comfortable car
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #8
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

I agree it’s a great ride - I’m just not sure the option is worth it - I drove three x7’s before purchasing, none with that option, and while it’s impossible to say this is a scientific evaluation, I would say I don’t notice much difference between the ride on those test drives as compared to my car with the option
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
MarkH62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, 750Li

Quote:
The only vehicle I've test-driven that did that was a Mercedes S560. At the time I neglected to write down what specific options it had that allowed that. We were primarily interested in SUV-class vehicles with extremely comfortable ride, and only tried that one because a number of sources had indicated that the S560 was the gold standard for ride comfort. BTW, I wouldn't recommend doing what we did unless you want to be disappointed in just about everything else you drive . The X7 comes close, but as others have mentioned, doesn't absorb the pot-holes quite as well. The Audi Q7 (as long as you get the air suspension, what they call adaptive chassis) is mostly on par with the X7 as far as ride smoothness is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
I agree it’s a great ride - I’m just not sure the option is worth it - I drove three x7’s before purchasing, none with that option, and while it’s impossible to say this is a scientific evaluation, I would say I don’t notice much difference between the ride on those test drives as compared to my car with the option
totally valid. i don't have the frame of reference of a vehicle without this option.

my gut is that the comfort is highly comparable without it, if not the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

I think the Mercedes systems use tech beyond video to analyze the road (lasers, radar whatever). I presume that’s a big factor in terms of sensing and responding to road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 05:52 AM   #12
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

So if you have the “Active” button near the suspension settings, and if—when you press the button—a screen comes up that indicates that you have switched the mode to “Active”, does that mean that you actually have the Active Suspension option? I know this is a weird question, but we didn’t order the Dynamic Driving package, which I believe the Active suspension is a part of, but instead selected only the M brakes and the independent Active steering as options, so I am bit surprised that it at least appears that we have the option.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:06 AM   #13
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Can you please post a picture of the button and screen? It would be very helpful

Thanks

Last edited by Thrangster; 07-06-2019 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

On the 7 you need to be on the adaptive mode for the system to turn on. If you are not on adaptive it will not be on. Not sure if it is the same on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
So if you have the “Active” button near the suspension settings, and if—when you press the button—a screen comes up that indicates that you have switched the mode to “Active”, does that mean that you actually have the Active Suspension option? I know this is a weird question, but we didn’t order the Dynamic Driving package, which I believe the Active suspension is a part of, but instead selected only the M brakes and the independent Active steering as options, so I am bit surprised that it at least appears that we have the option.
Are you sure you’re not referring to the “Adaptive” button instead of something named “Active?”
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure you’re not referring to the “Adaptive” button instead of something named “Active?”
You are correct, my apologies. The button (and resulting screen) says “Adaptive”, not “Active”. The button is located in the center console, just beneath the “Eco Pro” button, on the left hand side. I checked my sticker, but it did not have the Dynamic Handling Package listed.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #17
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You are correct, my apologies. The button (and resulting screen) says “Adaptive”, not “Active”. The button is located in the center console, just beneath the “Eco Pro” button, on the left hand side. I checked my sticker, but it did not have the Dynamic Handling Package listed.
Thanks for clarifying...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #18
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying...
No problem, but my question remains. Does anyone know why I would have this without the DHP? Do you all have this button, and is this the button which activates this Road Preview function?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #19
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Adaptive is not “part” of the dynamic handling package, it’s one of then available drive modes like Comfort, Sport, Eco Pro... Adaptive is supposed to learn your driving habits, presumably at different speeds and other conditions, and change throttle response and suspension as you drive.

some have posted that you need to use this feature to also enable DHP if you have the option... afaik there is no separate control for DHP

Adaptive mode also will work with the nav system to “prepare” for the marked road you are traveling (straights, curves, speed markings, who know, as BMW is extraordinarily opaque about a lot of things you spend money on!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #20
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Adaptive is not “part” of the dynamic handling package, it’s one of then available drive modes like Comfort, Sport, Eco Pro... Adaptive is supposed to learn your driving habits, presumably at different speeds and other conditions, and change throttle response and suspension as you drive.

some have posted that you need to use this feature to also enable DHP if you have the option... afaik there is no separate control for DHP

Adaptive mode also will work with the nav system to “prepare” for the marked road you are traveling (straights, curves, speed markings, who know, as BMW is extraordinarily opaque about a lot of things you spend money on!
Hmmm...ok, well that sounds pretty cool, actually. Thanks! If you don’t mind my asking, would you please tell me where you gathered this information from?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #21
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...ok, well that sounds pretty cool, actually. Thanks! If you don’t mind my asking, would you please tell me where you gathered this information from?
Don’t take all as gospel....

But various posts here, my dealer, other enthusiasts forums, and the innnernet in general... and the BMW Drivers Guide you can download from the App Store...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #22
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:
No problem, but my question remains. Does anyone know why I would have this without the DHP? Do you all have this button, and is this the button which activates this Road Preview function?
I always use Adaptive on my G12, the ride gets slightly smoother as it evens out the repeating vibrations. It is softer than Comfort Plus.

Here are the notes form the G12 technical training docs

In order to prepare the chassis and suspension for the different road conditions as early as possible, the following data is read in from various control units and processed to allow predictive control:
• If ADAPTIVE driving mode has been activated via the driving experience switch, the Dynamic Stability Control control unit processes the navigation data to analyses the route and influences the driving program to be activated if necessary. If the vehicle is approaching a sharp bend at high speed, for example, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) activates Sport mode without any action on the part of the driver. The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in this information and activates the corresponding chassis components for Sport mode. Conversely, an automatic change in driving program from Sport to Comfort is also possible.
If the vehicle exits a twisting section of road through which it has been driven at speed and then drives at constant speed on a straight section, this results in automatic changeover to the Comfort driving program. This means that the optimum driving mode with respect to comfort (Comfort) and driving dynamics (Sport) is automatically set without manual operation of the driving experience switch depending on the driving style and probable route.
Route guidance need not be activated for this.
• The Vertical Dynamics Platform (VDP) reads in the information of the stereo camera in the windscreen independently of the selected driving mode and processes this.
In addition, a large quantity of additional information such as the driving style analysis is read in by the Vertical Dynamic Platform (VDP) control unit and used for predictive control of the standard Electronic Damper Control (EDC) as well as the electric active stabilizers (EARSV).
Obstacles can therefore be overcome predictively and with even more comfort. The driver is even less aware of bumps. The body of the vehicle does not have to move vertically to the same extent since the chassis and suspension react intelligently and predictively to road bumps.
The optional chassis and suspension package “Active Comfort Drive” therefore offers the following advantages:
• Reduced compression and rebound (EDC).
• Reduced pitch movement (EDC).
• Faster decay of vehicle body reverberations (EDC).
• High driving dynamics when cornering thanks to active roll stabilization (EARSV).
• High comfort for straight-ahead driving due to decoupling of anti-roll bar halves and thus avoidance of road bump "copying" (EARSV).
The functions of the chassis and suspension package "Active Comfort Drive” are available in different forms in the following positions of the driving experience switch.
Appreciate 1