BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Winter Tire Or All season Tire ?

07-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #23
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
Mine are pirelli p zeros and they will suck in the winter I’m sure of that lol.

Re rim and tire, it almost never really makes sense to buy but a silver lining is if you buy the winter rim and tire package from your bmw dealer the rim and tire warranty will cover your winter set as well. Double check but that is almost always the case.

That being said the numbers don’t really work. The look a little less unfavorable when you are running run flats since each one runs 500+ and they usually can’t be repaired if you get a flat, though
Just took a look at the specs on those tires, and just like the Max Performance Summer tires that come on my M3, they definitely would not be "optimal" in the winter months - and in snow/freezing rain forget it. As much as I think the X7 is a luxury SUV, I could not see putting it in the garage for part of the winter due to inclement/freezing weather - it is an SUV after all. One of the reasons I will go for the 21" all season option (with factory spare).

But if I did go for the 22" performance run flat option (and lived in a climate that sees some snow in the winter), I doubt I would go for a winter wheel/tire package from the dealer. I could only imagine how much that would cost compared to a decent winter wheel/tire package from Tire Rack (w/TPMS) that can be had for approx $2200 or so.

So in the interest of adding more data to this thread, what does a typical winter wheel/tire package for the X7 from the dealer run for? Or is the X7 still too new and winter wheel/tire packages are not being offered yet (especially since it is still the summer time)?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 07-10-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:17 AM   #24
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Just took a look at the specs on those tires, and just like the Max Performance Summer tires that come on my M3, they definitely would not be "optimal" in the winter months - and in snow/freezing rain forget it. As much as I think the X7 is a luxury SUV, I could not see putting it in the garage for part of the winter due to inclement/freezing weather - it is an SUV after all. One of the reasons I will go for the 21" all season option (with factory spare).

But if I did go for the 22" performance run flat option (and lived in a climate that sees some snow in the winter), I doubt I would go for a winter wheel/tire package from the dealer. I could only imagine how much that would cost compared to a decent winter wheel/tire package from Tire Rack (w/TPMS) that can be had for approx $2200 or so:

https://www.tirerack.com/cart/AddIte...ms&button=cart

So in the interest of adding more data to this thread, what does a typical winter wheel/tire package for the X7 from the dealer run for? Or is the X7 still too new and winter wheel/tire packages are not being offered yet (especially since it is still the summer time)?
Totally valid considerations. Re bmw set up the official rim and tire package (21” 754m on run flat blizzak) can be bought for about 4250 or so. Pretty reasonable imo compared to paying 2250 for 21” scorpion winters before adding in rims. 20” options can be had for less on tire rack etc
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #25
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Totally valid considerations. Re bmw set up the official rim and tire package (21” 754m on run flat blizzak) can be bought for about 4250 or so. Pretty reasonable imo compared to paying 2250 for 21” scorpion winters before adding in rims. 20” options can be had for less on tire rack etc
Wow!! $4k+ for a set of winter wheels/tires from the dealer is ridiculous when you can get a decent set from companies like Tire Rack for almost half that price. I know that most people that can afford an X7 should be able to pay that high $4k+ price at the dealer, but I could not do it just based on principle. So are there any perks that come with that high dealer price for winter wheels/tires? A member above posted that some dealers will store your off-season wheel/tire set (I have never heard of this before). So is that part of that price as well, including installation? And if so, for how long does the perk last, the duration of the covered maintenance period (i.e. 3yrs/36k miles)?

One other thing to consider is the tire size as well. Low profile tires (i.e. 22" and even 21") do look good, but they do create a stiffer ride. "Stiffer" ride is not necessarily better when driving in inclement weather such as snow, ice, etc (this is why professional and amateur racers adjust their suspensions to a much softer configuration when racing in the rain - tires are an extension of the suspension system). A larger sidewall tire would be better for a winter/snow tire IMO for that reason. So I think a moderately priced 20" winter wheel/tire combo from a place like Tire Rack would be the better value when taking winter performance into consideration. Especially since your winter tire/wheel combo would only be on your car for a small portion of the year compared to the summer tires in most places that see 4 seasons. The only real limitation on how small you could go is brake caliper clearance. The M-Sport brakes, which are bigger than the standard brakes, may require a minimum wheel diameter size (but no smaller than 21" though).

The original Tire Rack link I provided as an example in my post above is dead so I removed it. But Tire Rack (and I believe Discount Tire Direct) allow you to create winter wheel/tire packages to see the potential cost for a set.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #26
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wow!! $4k+ for a set of winter wheels/tires from the dealer is ridiculous when you can get a decent set from companies like Tire Rack for almost half that price. I know that most people that can afford an X7 should be able to pay that high $4k+ price at the dealer, but I could not do it just based on principle. So are there any perks that come with that high dealer price for winter wheels/tires? A member above posted that some dealers will store your off-season wheel/tire set (I have never heard of this before). So is that part of that price as well, including installation? And if so, for how long does the perk last, the duration of the covered maintenance period (i.e. 3yrs/36k miles)?

One other thing to consider is the tire size as well. Low profile tires (i.e. 22" and even 21") do look good, but they do create a stiffer ride. "Stiffer" ride is not necessarily better when driving in inclement weather such as snow, ice, etc (this is why professional and amateur racers adjust their suspensions to a much softer configuration when racing in the rain - tires are an extension of the suspension system). A larger sidewall tire would be better for a winter/snow tire IMO for that reason. So I think a moderately priced 20" winter wheel/tire combo from a place like Tire Rack would be the better value when taking winter performance into consideration. Especially since your winter tire/wheel combo would only be on your car for a small portion of the year compared to the summer tires in most places that see 4 seasons. The only real limitation on how small you could go is brake caliper clearance. The M-Sport brakes, which are bigger than the standard brakes, may require a minimum wheel diameter size (but no smaller than 21" though).

The original Tire Rack link I provided as an example in my post above is dead so I removed it. But Tire Rack (and I believe Discount Tire Direct) allow you to create winter wheel/tire packages to see the potential cost for a set.
yes, 20" would be a better value but i'd rather my vehicle not look absurd (to me) with an undersized rim on it 4 months a year. that's why i go 21". looks are subjective tho, that's just my take.

soooo.... if i piece together a 21" package myself, 4 pirelli scorpion winters 285/45R21 = 2300 dollars delivered. i then would need to find 4 wheels that size. sure, maybe i could chooch out 4 rims from somewhere for a little less than 1950 (mounted on tire) or i could just buy the BMW package if i like that rim, which i do.

i've done my due diligence based on my preferences. sounds like mine and yours are not aligned.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #27
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
yes, 20" would be a better value but i'd rather my vehicle not look absurd (to me) with an undersized rim on it 4 months a year. that's why i go 21". looks are subjective tho, that's just my take.

soooo.... if i piece together a 21" package myself, 4 pirelli scorpion winters 285/45R21 = 2300 dollars delivered. i then would need to find 4 wheels that size. sure, maybe i could chooch out 4 rims from somewhere for a little less than 1950 (mounted on tire) or i could just buy the BMW package if i like that rim, which i do.

i've done my due diligence based on my preferences. sounds like mine and yours are not aligned.
Actually, I think we may be more aligned than you might think .... I just went to the Tire Rack site and configured three packages using the wheel/tire package configurator (the wheel/tire package configurator is under the Wheels tab), one with 22" wheels, one with 21" wheels and another with 20" wheels. Each package includes a 2 year road hazard warranty (free with the tires), new BMW compatible TPMS sensors, tires mounted & balanced, and free shipping to your door (or shop of your choice). All you have to do is swap out the wheels/tires and find a place to store your summer ones. If you have a floor jack, an electric impact wrench (or regular ratchet wrench) and torque wrench (or know somebody who does) this can all be done easily in your driveway.

22" Package price: $3962.40 ($606/wheel; $343/tire Pirelli Scorpion)
21" Package price: $3392.84 ($276/wheel; $531/tire Pirelli Scorpion)
20" Package price: $2220.64 ($255/wheel; $259/tire Bridgestone Blizzaks)

The primary cost difference for the packages is the tires - 21" snow tires are noticeably more expensive than 20" snow tires (although the 22" snow tires were much cheaper than the 21" snow tires - weird). There are several different wheel designs available at different price points, so finding a wheel design that you like, in theory, should not be a problem (but like you, I am picky about wheel design and admittedly most of the designs offered on the Tire Rack site are not to my liking). Although the larger the diameter, the smaller the wheel selection. Also, while "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", 20" wheel/tires do not look that bad on a full size SUV from a size perspective IMHO. My current Ford Expedition EL came with 18" rims and don't look bad IMO. Most full size SUVs you see on the road come with 19" or 20" rims (although 21"+ size wheels are becoming more popular from multiple full size SUV manufactures).

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. But before anyone pulls the trigger at the dealer on a winter wheel/tire package, I definitely recommend you take a look at the different wheel/tire package configurators offered by different online wheel/tire vendors. That way you can truly make an informed decision on what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Last edited by jmciver; 07-10-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #28
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I think we may be more aligned than you might think .... I just went to the Tire Rack site and configured three packages using the wheel/tire package configurator (the wheel/tire package configurator is under the Wheels tab), one with 22" wheels, one with 21" wheels and another with 20" wheels. Each package includes a 2 year road hazard warranty (free with the tires), new BMW compatible TPMS sensors, tires mounted & balanced, and free shipping to your door (or shop of your choice). All you have to do is swap out the wheels/tires and find a place to store your summer ones. If you have a floor jack, an electric impact wrench (or regular ratchet wrench) and torque wrench (or know somebody who does) this can all be done easily in your driveway.

22" Package price: $3962.40 ($606/wheel; $343/tire Pirelli Scorpion)
21" Package price: $3392.84 ($276/wheel; $531/tire Pirelli Scorpion)
20" Package price: $2220.64 ($255/wheel; $259/tire Bridgestone Blizzaks)

The primary cost difference for the packages is the tires - 21" snow tires are noticeably more expensive than 20" snow tires (although the 22" snow tires were much cheaper than the 21" snow tires - weird). There are several different wheel designs available at different price points, so finding a wheel design that you like, in theory, should not be a problem (but like you, I am picky about wheel design and admittedly most of the designs offered on the Tire Rack site are not to my liking). Although the larger the diameter, the smaller the wheel selection. Also, while "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", 20" wheel/tires do not look that bad on a full size SUV from a size perspective IMHO. My current Ford Expedition EL came with 18" rims and don't look bad IMO. Most full size SUVs you see on the road come with 19" or 20" rims (although 21"+ size wheels are becoming more popular from multiple full size SUV manufactures).

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. But before anyone pulls the trigger at the dealer on a winter wheel/tire package, I definitely recommend you take a look at the different wheel/tire package configurators offered by different online wheel/tire vendors. That way you can truly make an informed decision on what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.
yeah just a matter of finding a rim you can be happy with. i didn't see any third party out there that i was willing to pull the trigger on at any price point, tbh. but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #29
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

I'm not sure the question was answered in this thread but is the BMW 21" tire package all season? Also, are they staggered run flats?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #30
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
I'm not sure the question was answered in this thread but is the BMW 21" tire package all season? Also, are they staggered run flats?

Thanks
Last I checked, in the us there was one option and that was for 754m square 21” setup on Blizzak run flats.

Abroad, there are another couple winter 21” options plus a 20” option. All on winter tires, all run flat blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #31
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Is there a way to request from the dealer that they put all seasons on the 22” wheels instead of the performance tires?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #32
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Is there a way to request from the dealer that they put all seasons on the 22” wheels instead of the performance tires?
When they become available I’m sure they can work with you on that, but will cost you one way or another until BMW offers it as an official no cost option
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #33
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Would either of these tires work?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Ultra High Performance All-Season

Or

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) Ultra High Performance All-Season
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #34
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Not sure I understand the thinking of those not wanting the run flats. Which tire do think is safer on the highway at say 75mph? Would you want a normal tire or the run flat? I been there already with my X7 and can tell you I am now a firm believer in the run flat. The car tells you immediately that your tire is flat because you probably wouldn’t have noticed it yet. You can’t say that with a regular tire blowout at that speed! The run flat is also safer because you can keep going and get to that next exit safely instead of sitting on the side of a dangerous interstate waiting or changing your tire. You get 50 miles at no greater than 50mph on the run flat the same as a spare. The best option for me would be run flats with a full size run flat spare but alas one cannot fit in the spare wheel well on my X7.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #35
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
Not sure I understand the thinking of those not wanting the run flats. Which tire do think is safer on the highway at say 75mph? Would you want a normal tire or the run flat? I been there already with my X7 and can tell you I am now a firm believer in the run flat. The car tells you immediately that your tire is flat because you probably wouldn’t have noticed it yet. You can’t say that with a regular tire blowout at that speed! The run flat is also safer because you can keep going and get to that next exit safely instead of sitting on the side of a dangerous interstate waiting or changing your tire. You get 50 miles at no greater than 50mph on the run flat the same as a spare. The best option for me would be run flats with a full size run flat spare but alas one cannot fity in the spare wheel well on my X7.
The vast majorty of divers don't want them. They do have a place, but

They can still blow
They wear out faster and they cost more (double whammy)
You can't use them with sidewall damage (and then you have no spare in many cases)
Tough to find one quick on short notice in stock.
Harsher ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #36
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post

Well, A/S tires for the 22" dont exist. If they did, I am sure you could pay your dealer to replace the RFT tire with Non RFT. I don't think many bmw dealers are going to take a tire off a new car and try to resell it as new to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #37
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post

They can still blow
You can't use them with sidewall damage (and then you have no spare in many cases)
Harsher ride.
Exactly!

The two tire options I posted are 21" A/S, very highly rated on TireRack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Speed+Rated%29

Or

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 (DWS for Dry, Wet & Snow) Ultra High Performance All-Season

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #38
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
For those that have the performance run-flats AND decide to get a separate winter wheel/tire package, why not get a true winter/snow tire and not an all season tire set? Most all-season tires can perform adequately in light snow, but they are still a compromise compared to true snow tires. So if you are going to buy/install a spare wheel/tire set for a few winter months anyway, why not get the best option for the task at hand? I don't think the price difference between all-seasons and true snow tires are all that different (but admittedly I have not done a price comparison)....

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #39
ppagiga
Major
Rep

Quote:
For those that have the performance run-flats AND decide to get a separate winter wheel/tire package, why not get a true winter/snow tire and not an all season tire set? Most all-season tires can perform adequately in light snow, but they are still a compromise compared to true snow tires. So if you are going to buy/install a spare wheel/tire set for a few winter months anyway, why not get the best option for the task at hand? I don't think the price difference between all-seasons and true snow tires are all that different (but admittedly I have not done a price comparison)....
It’s silly to buy all seasons with your second set if you’re going through the trouble of a second set. Agree with you
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #40
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseControl View Post
Quote:

They can still blow
Harsher ride.
Exactly!

The two tire options I posted are 21" A/S, very highly rated on TireRack.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Speed+Rated%29

Or

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06
You realIze you posted links to 21" tires but they're not available in sizes for the X7.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #41
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Quote:
Well, A/S tires for the 22" dont exist. If they did, I am sure you could pay your dealer to replace the RFT tire with Non RFT. I don't think many bmw dealers are going to take a tire off a new car and try to resell it as new to someone else.
I may have found an option for the staggered 22" setup. Try looking at Tire Rack under the X5 50i standard tires and these come up:
Pirelli P Zero All Season. They are not run-flat and would fit the Bimmer 275/315 staggered setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #42
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
You realIze you posted links to 21" tires but they're not available in sizes for the X7.
Now I do. My post above asked if they would work. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #43
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I could get a winter/snow but it would be overkill. I live in eastern NY and when we do get a lot of snow, most things close down and the snow is plowed pretty quickly. The temp does dip pretty low at times though and I understand run-flats are not good at low temps. An A/S will give me enough protection while not impacting the appearance.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 10:36 AM   #44
FutrBMWOwner
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
I may have found an option for the staggered 22" setup. Try looking at Tire Rack under the X5 50i standard tires and these come up:
Pirelli P Zero All Season. They are not run-flat and would fit the Bimmer 275/315 staggered setup.
hmmmmmm hadn't seen these. The different aspect ratios isnt a problem?
Appreciate 0