BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Driving Assistance Professional Updates

07-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Driving Assistance Professional Updates

I drove an X7 for a hundred miles or so to test out the self driving capabilities. I drive about 60 miles on the turnpike every day, so it makes a significant difference for me.

Extended traffic jam assist
This feature worked really well. When I hit highway traffic, it prompted me to hit the mode button, and once engaged I did not need my hands on the wheel at all. The actual process to enable it was slightly confusing, but not too bad.

Automatic lane change
This featured worked surprisingly well. I had assumed that it was mostly a gimmick, and of limited actual value since how hard is it to change lanes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually felt helpful to click the stalk and have it do the lane change.

Regular active driving and lane keeping
This was the only feature that was a disappointment. Considering that this is using mobileye's eyeq4 platform which is top of the line, I was expecting much better performance. It kept on bouncing within the lane, especially on any curve. I found it to be equivalent to the lane keeping of the Volvo XC90 which uses either eyeq1 or 2.

It was nowhere near as confident as cadillac's supercruise or Tesla.
It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, as eyeq4 should be more then able to keep a car within its lane. It appears to be not fully baked software that is limiting its potential.

Does BMW usually do software updates over time for such features? or should I assume that the current model X7 will always perform at this level, and not expect improvements?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

How do you enable extended traffic jam assistant?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrangster View Post
How do you enable extended traffic jam assistant?

I only did it twice, but it seems to work like this.
If you have the regular driving assist turned on and active, and you hit traffic and you are now on a divided highway going under 40mph, you get a prompt to press the mode button to turn on extended driving assist or something like that.

you press the mode button on the wheel, and it goes in to the traffic assist mode.

when in the traffic assist mode, the dashboard icon next to the speedometer changes to show 2 cars instead of one next to the green steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Thrangster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 m850 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
I only did it twice, but it seems to work like this.
If you have the regular driving assist turned on and active, and you hit traffic and you are now on a divided highway going under 40mph, you get a prompt to press the mode button to turn on extended driving assist or something like that.

you press the mode button on the wheel, and it goes in to the traffic assist mode.

when in the traffic assist mode, the dashboard icon next to the speedometer changes to show 2 cars instead of one next to the green steering wheel.
Ok, so Assisted Driving Mode not Distance Control... I recall seeing these annoying warnings pop up about using some feature under 40 mph, but it wasn't explicit about Advanced Traffic Jam Assistant, nor was it asking me to press the Mode button...

And in this mode, no hands as long as you are eyes forward?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep

correct
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
I drove an X7 for a hundred miles or so to test out the self driving capabilities. I drive about 60 miles on the turnpike every day, so it makes a significant difference for me.

Extended traffic jam assist
This feature worked really well. When I hit highway traffic, it prompted me to hit the mode button, and once engaged I did not need my hands on the wheel at all. The actual process to enable it was slightly confusing, but not too bad.

Automatic lane change
This featured worked surprisingly well. I had assumed that it was mostly a gimmick, and of limited actual value since how hard is it to change lanes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually felt helpful to click the stalk and have it do the lane change.

Regular active driving and lane keeping
This was the only feature that was a disappointment. Considering that this is using mobileye's eyeq4 platform which is top of the line, I was expecting much better performance. It kept on bouncing within the lane, especially on any curve. I found it to be equivalent to the lane keeping of the Volvo XC90 which uses either eyeq1 or 2.

It was nowhere near as confident as cadillac's supercruise or Tesla.
It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, as eyeq4 should be more then able to keep a car within its lane. It appears to be not fully baked software that is limiting its potential.

Does BMW usually do software updates over time for such features? or should I assume that the current model X7 will always perform at this level, and not expect improvements?
Whoooa!! So nicely described.

I feel more comfortable in the Traffic Jam mode and Auto Lane change but the regular active driving is like . This is an area where it has to be perfect per the latest hardware its using.

I guess it's just a new Entre' from BMW which is set up for early adopters to try our $$$ and give feedback to BMW.

I would suggest that BMW should upgrade their software bakery and try to steal some Tesla Software guys.
Appreciate 0