E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone running Meth have a cracked windshield filler neck?

04-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #89
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

A thread like this makes me want to change over to a trunk mount tank also.

Only question is, does anyone know of a decent tank tap, DO have a UK site but I don't want to use their self sealing tap. Would this work:

http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/...products_id=82
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #90
BT#2
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
A thread like this makes me want to change over to a trunk mount tank also.

Only question is, does anyone know of a decent tank tap, DO have a UK site but I don't want to use their self sealing tap. Would this work:

http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/...products_id=82
No.

All DO instant fittings are crap and will start to leak after a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #91
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
You won't find it in the southern states but I have seen it in NY. Regardless the 40-50% -40oC WW fluid is safe so a 50/50 meth mix should be safe by that regard. No one ever thought twice about putting -40oC WW fluid in their car.

Mike
I really wouldnt push anything as "Safe" anymore, just safer then 100%. Like I said the WW reservoir is very poor in design/integrity and combine that with its poor placement for ensuring the "most" safety and you get these disasters that are coming through. This community has only been playing with WW setups for a short amount of time so its only a matter of time before more problems occur. Not sure how many more cars need to be lost before people get the picture.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #92
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

I think you are being a little overly dramatic on the subject Jeff. There are many many platforms running engine compartment tanks including WW... common with diesels. Creating some awareness is a good action so people understand the weak points, importance of checking the system, and increased risk of higher mixtures.

Again:
- WW pump can leak
- Run the line over the cowling
- don't overfill
- check the neck and lines regularly
- secure the WW cap
- Consider running high meth mixes only for short time periods and don't let it sit in the tank for extended periods.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #93
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
I think you are being a little overly dramatic on the subject Jeff. There are many many platforms running engine compartment tanks including WW... common with diesels. Creating some awareness is a good action so people understand the weak points, importance of checking the system, and increased risk of higher mixtures.

Again:
- WW pump can leak
- don't overfill
- secure the WW cap
- Consider running high meth mixes only for short time periods and don't let it sit in the tank for extended periods.
I dont think I'am one bit. Perhaps if something this close to home comes your way you will realize why I'am so passionate about it. If you read my posts carefully I dont say all methanol systems or WW setups are bad, I specifically note THIS PLATFORM and its WW reservoir. It's a disaster waiting to happen and it will come with time. As more and more systems get older and corroded and people get more comfortable you will see more and more of these problems arise. Its simply a matter of time.

Look at Michael's first post. He has never run anything but windshield washer fluid in his reservoir. The entire neck is cracked and corroded and his reservoir is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #94
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

The insurance company may be a bit unwilling to cover a meth injected wreck
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #95
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Yea let me remove that pic. I dont want to get anyone in trouble. If you guys want pics shoot me an email.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #96
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

I have images to share too but don't want to cause problems. I do not think Jeff is being over dramatic. As a Vendor, he most definitely hears about more problems than us end users. Again, fact is, people that have experienced this problem won't make it public as there's warranty and insurance ramifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #97
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Geez Jeff, I wish I could un-see that image. Wow. Comparing that to my image is like comparing G to X rated.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #98
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Is there any insurance out there that covers aftermarket modifications? I've always wondered but never looked in to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #99
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post

Again:
- WW pump can leak
- don't overfill
- secure the WW cap
Or you can put the failsafe, pump and tank in the trunk, and not have to worry about any of that. I have meth that sits in my trunk tank for months at a time no issues. I really do have a light foot.
      04-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #100
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

I have bad experiences with leaks in the trunk. Not meth related but a 1.5 year saga of poor body work that caused a leak very hard to diagnose but killed my amp 3 times. luckily insurance replaced it every time but that 1.5 years was incredibly annoying. I'd rather my car burn than have anything else leaking in the trunk on the amp or battery
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #101
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Yea let me remove that pic. I dont want to get anyone in trouble. If you guys want pics shoot me an email.

The information you have provided is appreciated and let's hope it will make people think twice before using the WW container for meth. I'm doing it myself but am aware of the risks and not happy about it. I have replaced the WW cap with a screw cap and carry a halon fire extinguisher plus water, since water is probably needed to kill burning plastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #102
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
The information you have provided is appreciated and let's hope it will make people think twice before using the WW container for meth. I'm doing it myself but am aware of the risks and not happy about it. I have replaced the WW cap with a screw cap and carry a halon fire extinguisher plus water, since water is probably needed to kill burning plastic.
for taking those precautions. All meth users should do the same. It only takes a few minutes to go terribly wrong. By the time any support would arrive, the car could be engulfed in fire.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #103
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
I have images to share too but don't want to cause problems. I do not think Jeff is being over dramatic. As a Vendor, he most definitely hears about more problems than us end users. Again, fact is, people that have experienced this problem won't make it public as there's warranty and insurance ramifications.
Right, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Geez Jeff, I wish I could un-see that image. Wow. Comparing that to my image is like comparing G to X rated.
Yes there are plenty more including during the blaze. Total loss to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Is there any insurance out there that covers aftermarket modifications? I've always wondered but never looked in to it.
I used to be in the insurance business for a few years. You can insure your aftermarket parts but they need receipts and it usually cost an extra $12-20 per $1000 of parts. It's known as an endorsement similar to jewelry. It's rarely used in the industry but many people with $1000 in stereo equipment seem to be the most popular as they are stolen the most. As far as methanol goes I dont think they would insure that or any other "hazardous/flammable" liquids transported.

Quote:
I have bad experiences with leaks in the trunk. Not meth related but a 1.5 year saga of poor body work that caused a leak very hard to diagnose but killed my amp 3 times. luckily insurance replaced it every time but that 1.5 years was incredibly annoying. I'd rather my car burn than have anything else leaking in the trunk on the amp or battery
The only bad I've heard about trunk mounts are the DO self tapping fitting, as I mentioned a few posts back I had no problems with a barbed fitting from home depot from the plumbing section.

Note: check valve has been moved since this pic and replaced with solenoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
Thank you for understanding. I'm not trying to a pest or a someones Daddy but I just want the people to understand. Thanks for listening.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #104
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

the only viable spot in the trunk for me is above the battery. I put my rear seats down often and during the winter carry a lot of crap back there. The location you posted on the seat-back just wouldn't work for me. unfortunatly I'm going to just continue to run boost-juice in the WW tank and check regularly.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #105
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Would something like this be a viable alternative for a trunk mounted tank:

Fuel Cells
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #106
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

My buddy runs the JAZ model in his car with no problems. It's a different platform but that wouldn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #107
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 View Post
Would something like this be a viable alternative for a trunk mounted tank:

Fuel Cells
Yes. And as meth becomes more common in HPDE cars, it's only a matter of time before some sort of SFI (or FIA) certification is required (as, of course, is already required for race cars).

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #108
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
My buddy runs the JAZ model in his car with no problems. It's a different platform but that wouldn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Yes. And as meth becomes more common in HPDE cars, it's only a matter of time before some sort of SFI (or FIA) certification is required (as, of course, is already required for race cars).

Neil
Then this seems like the obvious choice for a trunk mounted tank for those concerned about safety. They appear to be pre-tapped at the bottom and they are a fuel cell, as opposed to just a plastic tank. If I ever end up getting some kind of meth injection kit, I'll be going the trunk mounted route with one of these 1 gallon fuel cells.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #109
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the only viable spot in the trunk for me is above the battery. I put my rear seats down often and during the winter carry a lot of crap back there. The location you posted on the seat-back just wouldn't work for me. unfortunatly I'm going to just continue to run boost-juice in the WW tank and check regularly.
My main concern at this point is the WW cap itself or the cracking neck.

For the guys intersted in fuel cells, we have a nice collection of options for sumped tanks, 2.5 gallon tanks, and fuel cells.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #110
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

for those who bought a cap replacement (screw on?) - where did you source it?
Appreciate 0