01-12-2022, 10:31 PM   #23
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheaer View Post
??? Tell me more about this... as others have pointed out, I consistently use metallic containers (aluminum cans) in the cooled cup holders... have for >1 year and it works great to keep my cold items cold. I'm not a hot coffee drinker so can't attest to the heating function.

Jay
Actually, he's serious. Here's the post:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732967

I haven't heard about this happening again to anyone else, but I'm still nervous about using a similar metal container and having fusing damage in the cupholders..
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:34 PM   #24
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Also, here's the thread with the empirical data on the heating and cooling function:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1768098
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #25
stockguru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheaer View Post
??? Tell me more about this... as others have pointed out, I consistently use metallic containers (aluminum cans) in the cooled cup holders... have for >1 year and it works great to keep my cold items cold. I'm not a hot coffee drinker so can't attest to the heating function.

Jay
Actually, he's serious. Here's the post:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732967

I haven't heard about this happening again to anyone else, but I'm still nervous about using a similar metal container and having fusing damage in the cupholders..
Yes. I don't see any benefit to heating or cooling metal insulated ones like hydroflask. They are designed to not let the outside influence the inner temp. That's how it stays hot or cold. So putting it in the cup holder and using this function does very little other than risk a hazard.
Aluminum drinks are different. It will work fine but be careful on condensation as there are known issues with liquids causing issues in wiring under cupholder.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 05:13 PM   #26
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 Sport 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7bmw23 View Post
Not worth it. I use it backwards. I have plastic bottles of ice tea that I place in the freezer for a few hours before I go on the road. I use the heated feature to melt the frozen plastic bottle over time …….since they fixed the issue with condensation leaking into the center console and setting off your air bag accidentally 😳
The cup holder leaking electrical issue was fixed? Where can I find this information just to verify please? I just picked up a 2020 G05 M Sport and reading up to learn a little bit. This is the first that I’ve heard about the problem being resolved. I was very concerned needless to say when I stumbled upon some older posts.
I did a quick recall check on the vin and states no open recalls. I have the cooling/heating cups.

Thanks fellas!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 06:05 PM   #27
Ace6180G07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i / 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSCOTT11 View Post
Do these actually work and if you have them with you recommend getting this option?
IMO they are ok. Not great. I actually tried out the heated side for the first time this AM. It kept the coffee warm but not hot. I can’t fit anything bigger in it than a standard size cup. Meaning even if you’re not using the heated or cooled feature then some other containers will no longer fit. You seem to loose some room diameter wise when you get this option. Which makes sense since the back side with the horseshoe is the part that gets hot and they want it as tight to the container as possible. I can tell you that if you remove your cup the back is pretty warm but not scalding hot. I had a 2017 MB GLS with the same option. And it would get so freaking hot that you could never put your finger on it. It would burn you. As far as the cooling feature… that works pretty good.

Not to get too far off topic but I really enjoy the massaging seats that comes with this option. Good for road trips for sure.

So I really got the executive package for the massaging seats. The heated and cooled cup holders were a bonus. Oh and mine is an LCI (2023)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 08:13 PM   #28
BMW-X
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
In my opinion, it's a gimmick. Doesn't really heat up or cool down.
Especially if the drink is in an insulated cup (which most hot drinks are).
Completely agree, don’t seem to actually cool or heat the drink itself just the outer edges of the cup holder. Also the coffee’s are so hot when you get them, I never turn it on because I want it to cool down first anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 06:30 PM   #29
jcss812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7 40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
It doesn't come as a standalone option so you'll need to decide if the other options in the Executive package are worth it to you.
This.

I got the executive package for the LEDs in the sunroof and I think it included the massage seats. The cold/hot cup holders is just a nice perk and it does help in keeping cold things cold and hot things hot.
Appreciate 0