BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Level 2+ Autonomy in 2023 BMW X7

08-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Level 2+ Autonomy in 2023 BMW X7

I'm wondering if they are upgrading the software for the X7s that are being built now?!

From the article:

"This new system will now allow for hands-free driving up to 81 mph an hour (130 KPH) making it massively more helpful for the majority of drivers and likely to be used much more.

What’s changed? In cars like the X7 not much other than software. That means we will see it available as a software update for some X7s."

https://www.bimmerfile.com/2022/04/2...e-2023-bmw-x7/
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:38 AM   #2
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

"Hands-free driving" -- sorry, but that scares the crap out of me.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
My Telluride has it but not for lane changes. It’s really nice to have if you need to deal with kids and their many wants, deal with an email or just want a bit of a break. Yesterday I fully took my eyes and hands off the road at 75 for a good 5+ seconds while trying to dig out some food for my little one. It slows down immediately if someone comes into your lane and speeds up again when the coast is all clear. Steers into corners nicely as well, although it takes some getting used to.

I love driving too much to just totally disengage so it’s not something I use for long or very negligently beyond a few seconds at a time, but it’s great tech for road trips, for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I thought about the same thing myself and it does scare me too. Then I figured that as long as I pay full attention to intervene...it will be ok. and I mean "full attention".
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #5
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ(BM)Dubya View Post
My Telluride has it but not for lane changes. It’s really nice to have if you need to deal with kids and their many wants, deal with an email or just want a bit of a break. Yesterday I fully took my eyes and hands off the road at 75 for a good 5+ seconds while trying to dig out some food for my little one. It slows down immediately if someone comes into your lane and speeds up again when the coast is all clear. Steers into corners nicely as well, although it takes some getting used to.

I love driving too much to just totally disengage so it’s not something I use for long or very negligently beyond a few seconds at a time, but it’s great tech for road trips, for sure.
On the Telluride...can you use it anywhere?

For example..2023 Cadillac XT6 has it..it's called Super Cruise. It's my understanding that you can only use it on certain freeways that are downloaded in their system. However, they keep updating it by adding more roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #6
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Yeah, I've seen the guy in the TV add driving his GMC pick-up and towing his Airstream, when he switches on the auto-pilot so he can play paddy-cake with his kids. This is way at the very top of my "must-have" option list. On top of the $2 billion in cannabis products sold in Colorado each year, it's not especially comforting to know that piloting a 6000 lb. projectile down the highway at 75 mph now requires only an occasional heads-up by the person speeding toward me, and my well-being depends on a microprocessor observing the sanctity of a physical barrier comprising a yellow stripe painted on the pavement.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #7
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
On the Telluride...can you use it anywhere?

For example..2023 Cadillac XT6 has it..it's called Super Cruise. It's my understanding that you can only use it on certain freeways that are downloaded in their system. However, they keep updating it by adding more roads.
I’ve only tried it on highways - but understand it’s limited to those and not for stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #8
JJ(BM)Dubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen the guy in the TV add driving his GMC pick-up and towing his Airstream, when he switches on the auto-pilot so he can play paddy-cake with his kids. This is way at the very top of my "must-have" option list. On top of the $2 billion in cannabis products sold in Colorado each year, it's not especially comforting to know that piloting a 6000 lb. projectile down the highway at 75 mph now requires only an occasional heads-up by the person speeding toward me, and my well-being depends on a microprocessor observing the sanctity of a physical barrier comprising a yellow stripe painted on the pavement.
Can’t argue with the anxiety this tech produces. It’s an interesting space to watch going forward in terms of liability.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #9
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:

"he switches on the auto-pilot so he can play paddy-cake with his kids."

I didn't see that commercial. I must admit it is scary!

With that said...commercial flights use autopilot almost the entire trip. Pilots are only in control during takeoffs and landings. In fact, newer autopilot programs can even land the plane.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #10
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
I’ve only tried it on highways - but understand it’s limited to those and not for stop and go traffic.
That's what I heard too!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #11
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Can’t argue with the anxiety this tech produces. It’s an interesting space to watch going forward in terms of liability.

I'm sure they will accumulate statistics as to the number/severity of accidents due to the hands-free driving use! I also like to know if freeway accidents will overall go down or up!
I would say if the system is well built...there will be less driving errors than human errors. Computers are precise and are not prone to distraction. However, they do fail...but it is a rare event...but if the driver is paying attention...he can then take over to prevent an accident. I certainly hope so!

Last edited by Brigitte; 08-27-2022 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #12
Eugr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
With that said...commercial flights use autopilot almost the entire trip. Pilots are only in control during takeoffs and landings. In fact, newer autopilot programs can even land the plane.
Not the same thing though. Airplane autopilot is a pretty simple system. It doesn't deal with traffic or obstacles, or weather - it just follows the route using navigation systems and maintains vertical profile. No computer vision involved.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      08-27-2022, 02:27 PM   #13
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugr View Post
Not the same thing though. Airplane autopilot is a pretty simple system. It doesn't deal with traffic or obstacles, or weather - it just follows the route using navigation systems and maintains vertical profile. No computer vision involved.
In any case...I think the driver has to pay full attention and shouldn't play paddy-cake with his kids

I don't think the airplane autopilot is that simple as it still depends on the sensors installed on the plane which could malfunction as well. Yes...there is no traffic or cars changing lanes to deal with. But I think there are other situations where the system has to deal with...such as winds...etc.

But you're right...car autopilot is much more sophisticated.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #14
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

This will disappoint many of you who already ordered your X7 LCI this year.

BMW screwed you up.

Unfortunately, all the X7s produced this year are coming with the same old service pack, same hardware/module for the drive assit. The only true update is idrive 8, but it will not support new features coming from Motorway assist (only the 7-series and iX is now produced with the NEW service pack). X7 is still produced with the old service pack, and like I said, the only true upgrade is the screens with idrive 8 layout)

The actual new hardware and the new drive assist, a long with a few more upgrades (as part of the NEW service pack) will be deployed on X7s starting April 2023.

I know this is not good news for you who already got the X7, but it has the same service pack you would find in the pre-PCI.

X7 will only get the new service pack (which will also include the new BMW motoroway assit) stating April 2023. This will NOT be a software update. This is a hardware change. Also, at the same month, the new X5 will be released, and it will come with the new service pack and a few new modules from day-1 unlike X7.

In summary, if you have NOT ordered your X7 yet, and you are okay with the new front hood, it’s recommended that you wait until early 2023, to get the April 2023 build or after.
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #15
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
This will disappoint many of you who already ordered your X7 LCI this year.

BMW screwed you up.

Unfortunately, all the X7s produced this year are coming with the same old service pack, same hardware/module for the drive assit. The only true update is idrive 8, but it will not support new features coming from Motorway assist (only the 7-series and iX is now produced with the NEW service pack). X7 is still produced with the old service pack, and like I said, the only true upgrade is the screens with idrive 8 layout)

The actual new hardware and the new drive assist, a long with a few more upgrades (as part of the NEW service pack) will be deployed on X7s starting April 2023.

I know this is not good news for you who already got the X7, but it has the same service pack you would find in the pre-PCI.

X7 will only get the new service pack (which will also include the new BMW motoroway assit) stating April 2023. This will NOT be a software update. This is a hardware change. Also, at the same month, the new X5 will be released, and it will come with the new service pack and a few new modules from day-1 unlike X7.

In summary, if you have NOT ordered your X7 yet, and you are okay with the new front hood, it’s recommended that you wait until early 2023, to get the April 2023 build or after.
Other than the hardware upgrade...is there a software update that BMW can be doing now?

BTW...I'm not worried as I didn't order yet...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 05:17 PM   #16
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Other than the hardware upgrade...is there a software update that BMW can be doing now?

BTW...I'm not worried as I didn't order yet...
Am not sure what you mean, but I just posted a new thread to make sure that everyone is aware and can respond with what they know as they see fit.

The X7 LCI is still running the new idrive 8, so of course there will be a ton of updates. However, there will be a lot of features missing because X7s produced this year are coming with the old service pack and there will be some upgrades that only a new hardware is capable of doing.

BMW has done that before. I remember the first year for the 5-series or X3 (not sure which one) was released prematurely in 2020, and also came with idrive 7 coupled with older modules. They then started to refer to that as Idrive light because the car was not able to get some of the new updated and features that other newer vehicles with idrive 7 are able to do with the newer service pack.

Motorway assist is going to be a big deal. Only X7s starting 4/2023 build will support that feature. This timeline also aligns well with the dates in the (New models and features) thread, which I consider to be also one of the most reliable sources and leaks. 7-series sedan and iX are already being built now with the new service pack and will get the motorway assist immediately once released through a software update.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #17
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Am not sure what you mean, but I just posted a new thread to make sure that everyone is aware and can respond with what they know as they see fit.

The X7 LCI is still running the new idrive 8, so of course there will be a ton of updates. However, there will be a lot of features missing because X7s produced this year are coming with the old service pack and there will be some upgrades that only a new hardware is capable of doing.

BMW has done that before. I remember the first year for the 5-series or X3 (not sure which one) was released prematurely in 2020, and also came with idrive 7 coupled with older modules. They then started to refer to that as Idrive light because the car was not able to get some of the new updated and features that other newer vehicles with idrive 7 are able to do with the newer service pack.

Motorway assist is going to be a big deal. Only X7s starting 4/2023 build will support that feature. This timeline also aligns well with the dates in the (New models and features) thread, which I consider to be also one of the most reliable sources and leaks. 7-series sedan and iX are already being built now with the new service pack and will get the motorway assist immediately once released through a software update.
I was referring to the article I posted above about a software update that would give us the capability of Level 2+ autonomy (hands-free driving up to 81 mph).
In addition, I'm wondering about the Parking Assistant update. According to an agent in Genius dept....the parking Assistant would remember 200 meters instead of 50 meters as it was in 2022. He also said that we can save multiple maneuvers...reverse assistant...etc. So now I'm wondering if this is even true!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #18
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

Quote:
I was referring to the article I posted above about a software update that would give us the capability of Level 2+ autonomy (hands-free driving up to 81 mph).
In addition, I'm wondering about the Parking Assistant update. According to an agent in Genius dept....the parking Assistant would remember 200 meters instead of 50 meters as it was in 2022. He also said that we can save multiple maneuvers...reverse assistant...etc. So now I'm wondering if this is even true!
Yes. The new X7 records 200 m now.
Appreciate 1
Brigitte484.50
      08-27-2022, 05:42 PM   #19
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
Yes. The new X7 records 200 m now.
Thank you. So they did update the Parking Assistant Pro...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #20
Setllarboss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750xi

Quote:
Thank you. So they did update the Parking Assistant Pro...
Yes. Here is Video done by one of the Dealers.

Appreciate 3
Brigitte484.50
el1977.00
jphcbpa314.50
      08-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #21
Bosdub
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x7

Led matrix

Do we think the led matrix lights would be enabled in North American in the April 23 update ?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #22
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setllarboss View Post
Yes. Here is Video done by one of the Dealers.

Thank you...this is so impressive
Appreciate 0