BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Level 2+ Autonomy in 2023 BMW X7

08-27-2022, 06:00 PM   #23
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosdub View Post
Do we think the led matrix lights would be enabled in North American in the April 23 update ?
To be honest...I was under the impression that all software updates will be done now. At least that's what Genius agent implied!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 07:22 PM   #24
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Other than the hardware upgrade...is there a software update that BMW can be doing now?

BTW...I'm not worried as I didn't order yet...
Am not sure what you mean, but I just posted a new thread to make sure that everyone is aware and can respond with what they know as they see fit.

The X7 LCI is still running the new idrive 8, so of course there will be a ton of updates. However, there will be a lot of features missing because X7s produced this year are coming with the old service pack and there will be some upgrades that only a new hardware is capable of doing.

BMW has done that before. I remember the first year for the 5-series or X3 (not sure which one) was released prematurely in 2020, and also came with idrive 7 coupled with older modules. They then started to refer to that as Idrive light because the car was not able to get some of the new updated and features that other newer vehicles with idrive 7 are able to do with the newer service pack.

Motorway assist is going to be a big deal. Only X7s starting 4/2023 build will support that feature. This timeline also aligns well with the dates in the (New models and features) thread, which I consider to be also one of the most reliable sources and leaks. 7-series sedan and iX are already being built now with the new service pack and will get the motorway assist immediately once released through a software update.
I don't think motorway assist is that big of a deal, from actually reviewing the 7 series presser all it really does is extend hands off the wheel driving to 85 mph.

Today hands off driving extends to 40 mph. All the driver needs is a finger on the wheel maintaining the touch sensor after that. I do not see gaining an extra 45 mph being significant, more of a nice to have
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:21 PM   #25
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I don't think motorway assist is that big of a deal, from actually reviewing the 7 series presser all it really does is extend hands off the wheel driving to 85 mph.

Today hands off driving extends to 40 mph. All the driver needs is a finger on the wheel maintaining the touch sensor after that. I do not see gaining an extra 45 mph being significant, more of a nice to have
The two systems are completely different. Motorway assist is going to be a very big deal for BMW. Current vehicles with the older service packs are only capable of doing hands off driving under the “traffic Jam assist” scenario, meaning you have to be in a real traffic jam scenario.

The Motorway assist has nothing to do with the traffic jam scenario. Motorway assist will allow you to drive from one state to another (basically any highway) with your hands being completely off the steering. It will come with enhanced lane keeping assist, and lane change assist. Moreover, city driving and taking aggressive turns will be further refined. I don’t expect it to be as good as the recent release of Tesla FSD which is a true autonomous driving, but Id expect it to be very close if not better than Ford/Lincoln or GM system. Plus, Motorway assist will continue to get even better with years, hopefully reaching Tesla FSD level without then need for a new hardware upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 11:45 PM   #26
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:

The two systems are completely different. Motorway assist is going to be a very big deal for BMW. Current vehicles with the older service packs are only capable of doing hands off driving under the "traffic Jam assist" scenario, meaning you have to be in a real traffic jam scenario.

The Motorway assist has nothing to do with the traffic jam scenario. Motorway assist will allow you to drive from one state to another (basically any highway) with your hands being completely off the steering. It will come with enhanced lane keeping assist, and lane change assist. Moreover, city driving and taking aggressive turns will be further refined. I don't expect it to be as good as the recent release of Tesla FSD which is a true autonomous driving, but Id expect it to be very close if not better than Ford/Lincoln or GM system. Plus, Motorway assist will continue to get even better with years, hopefully reaching Tesla FSD level without then need for a new hardware upgrade.
This isn't accurate… the forthcoming L2+ tech is NOT "motorway assistant" (called highway assistant in the USA)

The "motorway assistant" upgrade launched on the 7 series and coming to the x5 and x7 next spring is basically an extension of the current hands off capability to 80 mph. Read the 7 series announcement.

You seem to be thinking about the "personal pilot" system which is coming to the 7 and all
New 5 for EU cars in late 2023/2024. Our Insider cannot see a us introduction date planned so it won't be available here in that time frame nor is it shown to be available on the x7 or x5 in that horizon.

Curious where you are getting this info?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 12:17 AM   #27
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This isn't accurate… the forthcoming L2+ tech is NOT "motorway assistant" (called highway assistant in the USA)

The "motorway assistant" upgrade launched on the 7 series and coming to the x5 and x7 next spring is basically an extension of the current hands off capability to 80 mph. Read the 7 series announcement.

You seem to be thinking about the "personal pilot" system which is coming to the 7 and all
New 5 for EU cars in late 2023/2024. Our Insider cannot see a us introduction date planned so it won't be available here in that time frame nor is it shown to be available on the x7 or x5 in that horizon.

Curious where you are getting this info?
Can’t get into the detail, but if you also have direct access to an insider I’d recommend you ask him to explain to you the new SP the the X7 will be getting in April of 2023 and the new “motorway” assist features that will only be available for 4/2024 builds and after. Check with him if you prefer to do so. I hope I was helpful for now but I can’t get into more specific detail.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #28
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
Can’t get into the detail, but if you also have direct access to an insider I’d recommend you ask him to explain to you the new SP the the X7 will be getting in April of 2023 and the new “motorway” assist features that will only be available for 4/2024 builds and after. Check with him if you prefer to do so. I hope I was helpful for now but I can’t get into more specific detail.
This smells fishy
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #29
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosdub View Post
Do we think the led matrix lights would be enabled in North American in the April 23 update ?
Not sure yet as this depends on US regulatory processes but the new update X7 build will be getting again the iconic laser lights
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 11:05 AM   #30
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

I had a Tesla until a few months ago as well as two Volvo's with their best autonomous driving. I just got our 23 X7 with Driver Assistance Package. With all the above confusion, can someone help break it down a bit.

My experience in maybe 20 miles with the BMW is that it has lane keep assist and intelligent cruise up to 75 mph. When people talk of a future of true "hands free" driving, is that really hands free or just hands free for up to 30 seconds, that's more how the Tesla was on the motorway. I will say, the X7 at present lights up the yellow lights if your hands are off the wheel for just 3 seconds, that's far more aggressive than Volvo and Tesla.

I will say however, I feel the BMW (again limited experience) is the smoothest system, it really stays centered. I feel the Volvo and even Tesla tend to wander a bit more. Also, the BMW requires literally no steering wheel pressure. The Tesla and Volvo will often say to put hands on wheel or put steering input in if you're just lightly resting on the wheel, the BMW seems to never ask even with the lightest of touch. That said, it doesn't allow you any time of hands free.

I'm unsure if lane changing works via signaling, I felt it did one time, but couldn't tell if it was just a bend in the road and I ultimately took over as I didn't know if it was going to stop.

I'm just trying to understand the differences as it seems the basic functionality works at all speeds. I haven't done traffic jam assist which I assume is a more hands off experience. All that said, when we say "true hands off", can we quantify that? Like Tesla, Volvo still require input at times. GM Super Cruise is hands off, but it uses detectors to ensure your eyes are on the road, so while hands free, it's not like go take a nap or turn around and handle kids in the back for a minute.

I almost didn't order these packages as I've been SO disappointed with these in other cars. Watching the system is often more stressful than just driving. Navigate on Auto in my Tesla would routinely not be able to make the lane changes or would not appropriately measure the close rate of another car and basically cut cars off inducing road rage. My Tesla tried to kill me no less than 5 times by literally making a random turn that would've put me into a wall. With the Tesla, I ended up just using Intelligent Cruise and Lane Keep and would drive it myself.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2016 Cadillac ATS-V 6MT, 2013 Audi S6, 2011 Audi S4 6MT, 2008 BMW Z4MC 6MT, 2008 BMW M3 6MT, 2009 BMW X5 35d

Last edited by U235; 08-28-2022 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 05:49 PM   #31
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235 View Post
I had a Tesla until a few months ago as well as two Volvo's with their best autonomous driving. I just got our 23 X7 with Driver Assistance Package. With all the above confusion, can someone help break it down a bit.

My experience in maybe 20 miles with the BMW is that it has lane keep assist and intelligent cruise up to 75 mph. When people talk of a future of true "hands free" driving, is that really hands free or just hands free for up to 30 seconds, that's more how the Tesla was on the motorway. I will say, the X7 at present lights up the yellow lights if your hands are off the wheel for just 3 seconds, that's far more aggressive than Volvo and Tesla.

I will say however, I feel the BMW (again limited experience) is the smoothest system, it really stays centered. I feel the Volvo and even Tesla tend to wander a bit more. Also, the BMW requires literally no steering wheel pressure. The Tesla and Volvo will often say to put hands on wheel or put steering input in if you're just lightly resting on the wheel, the BMW seems to never ask even with the lightest of touch. That said, it doesn't allow you any time of hands free.

I'm unsure if lane changing works via signaling, I felt it did one time, but couldn't tell if it was just a bend in the road and I ultimately took over as I didn't know if it was going to stop.

I'm just trying to understand the differences as it seems the basic functionality works at all speeds. I haven't done traffic jam assist which I assume is a more hands off experience. All that said, when we say "true hands off", can we quantify that? Like Tesla, Volvo still require input at times. GM Super Cruise is hands off, but it uses detectors to ensure your eyes are on the road, so while hands free, it's not like go take a nap or turn around and handle kids in the back for a minute.

I almost didn't order these packages as I've been SO disappointed with these in other cars. Watching the system is often more stressful than just driving. Navigate on Auto in my Tesla would routinely not be able to make the lane changes or would not appropriately measure the close rate of another car and basically cut cars off inducing road rage. My Tesla tried to kill me no less than 5 times by literally making a random turn that would've put me into a wall. With the Tesla, I ended up just using Intelligent Cruise and Lane Keep and would drive it myself.
I think the auto system would scare me as it could make mistakes that could be very dangerous! I think the system can detect the focus of your eyes. So your hands could be free but your eyes have to be focused on the road. At least that's my understanding.
As you stated! We still have to pay full attention anyway. It is very stressful..I mean what if the system slams on the brakes on the freeway...etc. I feel I'm better off driving it myself!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:02 PM   #32
Icecool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
This will disappoint many of you who already ordered your X7 LCI this year.

BMW screwed you up.

Unfortunately, all the X7s produced this year are coming with the same old service pack, same hardware/module for the drive assit. The only true update is idrive 8, but it will not support new features coming from Motorway assist (only the 7-series and iX is now produced with the NEW service pack). X7 is still produced with the old service pack, and like I said, the only true upgrade is the screens with idrive 8 layout)

The actual new hardware and the new drive assist, a long with a few more upgrades (as part of the NEW service pack) will be deployed on X7s starting April 2023.

I know this is not good news for you who already got the X7, but it has the same service pack you would find in the pre-PCI.

X7 will only get the new service pack (which will also include the new BMW motoroway assit) stating April 2023. This will NOT be a software update. This is a hardware change. Also, at the same month, the new X5 will be released, and it will come with the new service pack and a few new modules from day-1 unlike X7.

In summary, if you have NOT ordered your X7 yet, and you are okay with the new front hood, it’s recommended that you wait until early 2023, to get the April 2023 build or after.

Can you pay to get the hardware upgraded ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #33
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecool View Post
For the hands-free driving up to 81 mph...according to Genius and the article I posted above...all it needs is software updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #34
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No you can’t, but will be getting some software updates down the road. Some certain key features will be locked only for the next service pack on the 4/2023 X7 builds and after only. Personal Pilot for isntance, will be only available on the 4/2023 X7 build and after, which will get the new service pack (same one that the 7-series sedan and iX is currently getting). The X5 LCI will also be released around 4/2023 and will get the new service pack hardware at that time as well as all future updates or features that will be released down the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #35
Brinkley77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cadillac SRX

Garage List
2024   [0.00]
BMW X7  [0.00]
Just throwing this out there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #36
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley77 View Post
The way that question was asked opens the chance for some confusion.
The new X7 will get the highway assist upgrades, for sure, just like all other vehicles with idrive 8 today that are running an older SP (i.e.: i4). His answer "yes' is technically true on this part. However, BMW Personal Pilot is a completely different feature and currently only the 7-series sedan and iX are compatible with it.

One perfect examply is i4. You can see how frustrated the owners are on some of other websites/forums once they figures out that the service pack on the i4 is not same as the one that iX is getting now even though both cars have idrive 8.

The specific question should have been, what is the SP that the 2023 X7 is getting now, and what service pack will the 7-series be getting at production (which again, will be the same that the X7 2023 4/2023 and after will be getting).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #37
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley77 View Post
Thanks...the question was about ALL 2023 X7...his answer confirms what the Genius agent told me. He said that the software will be upgraded when production starts in August 2022...this will allow for the hands-free driving up to 81 mph.

Some on this forum are disputing this.

I hope the people who already received their 2023 X7 would test this feature to see if it was upgraded in their car..

Please let us know...thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #38
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

Quote:
Thanks...the question was about ALL 2023 X7...his answer confirms what the Genius agent told me. He said that the software will be upgraded when production starts in August 2022...this will allow for the hands-free driving up to 81 mph.

Some on this forum are disputing this.

I hope the people who already received their 2023 X7 would test this feature to see if it was upgraded in their car..

Please let us know...thanks.
I think that's the issue BMW5and7 is pointing out. We won't know until April 2023 whether or not we can use the new features. So everyone right now with a 23 X7 can't use the new features as they arent released yet. Guess we'll see in a bit if 5and7 is correct in that it's a hardware upgrade (i.e., pre april 2023 x7's wont get it) vs a software upgrade (all x7s will get it)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:43 AM   #39
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
I think that's the issue BMW5and7 is pointing out. We won't know until April 2023 whether or not we can use the new features. So everyone right now with a 23 X7 can't use the new features as they arent released yet. Guess we'll see in a bit if 5and7 is correct in that it's a hardware upgrade (i.e., pre april 2023 x7's wont get it) vs a software upgrade (all x7s will get it)
Not according to the Genius agent I talked to couple of months ago...he said the software will be upgraded when the August production starts. Some people have already received their X7...they can test it to see if the software was indeed upgraded. Sometimes Genius give false info. But we can find out now from the people that have already received their car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:22 PM   #40
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

I'm not sure if BMW has available a comparable publication on automated driving, but Mercedes Benz has a brochure that can be downloaded at https://group.mercedes-benz.com/inno...e-pilot-2.html that describes the evolution and future timeline for its "Drive Pilot" autonomous driving (which is pretty much the same playbook everyone is using). Safety agencies (e.g., NHTSA is the U.S.) have heretofore bought into all this ADAS stuff without much blowback because auto manufacturers bill it all as safety related that compensates for human error. Teslas in particular are convincing consumers and regulators that it's not all just a slam dunk, and even early stage features such as lane keeping assist can have hazards under some driving circumstances (has anyone ever had LKA kick in on black ice?). I expect more regulatory scrutiny in the future, and the pace at which all this auto pilot tech gets rolled out will slow down, and require far more performance data to prove in. One thing everyone needs to remember is that fully auto-piloted cars will be programmed to obey to the letter all traffic laws -- full stops at stop signs, not a single mph over the posted speed limit, no right hand lane passing, no tailgating, etc. This alone will make auto pilot systems unappealing to most drivers I observe daily.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #41
jdloyd01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Not according to the Genius agent I talked to couple of months ago...he said the software will be upgraded when the August production starts. Some people have already received their X7...they can test it to see if the software was indeed upgraded. Sometimes Genius give false info. But we can find out now from the people that have already received their car.
Can confirm that you have to keep you hands on the wheel above 40 MPH in our X7.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #42
Icecool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdloyd01 View Post
Can confirm that you have to keep you hands on the wheel above 40 MPH in our X7.
what about getting a fake hand ?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #43
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Quote:
what about getting a fake hand ?
Give yours a try and let us know. I believe you named yours "The Stranger".
Appreciate 2
jphcbpa314.50
      08-29-2022, 04:12 PM   #44
Brigitte
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdloyd01 View Post
Thanks...then the Genius agent was incorrect. I have no idea why they call them "Genius"
Appreciate 0