BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Level 2+ Autonomy in 2023 BMW X7

09-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #67
Jennifer
Banned
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I drove through two states North/South Carolina at 85+mph with barely touching the steering wheel on i95. I used my knee to touch the steering wheel and the system worked great even auto passing using the turn signal stalk.

Look how well it plots the other cars on the screen.

You are the man! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Jennifer; 09-06-2022 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #68
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
I drove through two states North/South Carolina at 85+mph with barely touching the steering wheel on i95. I used my knee to touch the steering wheel and the system worked great even auto passing using the turn signal stalk.

Very nice. Thank you. I like the setup you have in your PRE-LCI screen above. I always keep this same exact 3D view the entire time on road trips too. I drove 6 hours continuously last month and barely steered (just a touch). Imagine this 3D view was there all they way since 2019 up to 2022 and kina similar for 2023-launch and still look new?Ha!!! Good job BMW; continues to get even better. People who don’t know X7 vehicles or lack detailed knowledge about BMW might even think it’s coming from the future or that this is a 2023 model year. BMW has done that in 2019, great job bmw, that's impressive! Mercedes added that just recently! In 2019, my s-class had a simple 2D car with a short nose for drive assist. Am excited to see what BMW will bring in next year as this view has been around for 4+ years as-is so far.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-06-2022 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 05:42 PM   #69
Jennifer
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Didn't know my 2023 ugly SUV coming next month is so advanced!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2022, 06:20 PM   #70
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post
Apparently it's just a kink in the system. If the sun's shining just right and casting a dark shadow onto the road from a tree or building the car mistakes it for a obstacle in the road and slams on the brakes. It's gotten to the point now where I just long-press the safety button and turn all that shit off.

Looks like Bimmer owners aren't the only ones:

https://www.techworm.net/2022/09/tes...m-braking.html
So the car stops due to an image/shadow. It should have been designed to only recognize 3-dimensional shapes!!
The car uses a combination of LIDAR and real time video images from the camera mounted on the windshield by the rear view mirror.

No system is infallible, but I'm hoping there's an update to correct the phantom braking. Thankfully no one was behind me each time it happened. I'm not even sure how that would work if there was a collision caused by such a thing…
      09-06-2022, 07:02 PM   #71
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pină View Post
The car uses a combination of LIDAR and real time video images from the camera mounted on the windshield by the rear view mirror.

No system is infallible, but I'm hoping there's an update to correct the phantom braking. Thankfully no one was behind me each time it happened. I'm not even sure how that would work if there was a collision caused by such a thing…
That's not right...BMW has to correct it as it could cause an accident like you said! That's why car manufacturers put a disclaimer...such as:

"Safety or driver assistance features are no substitute for the driver's responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner."
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #72
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
Didn't know my 2023 ugly SUV coming next month is so advanced!
This is 2020 BMW tech too. When BMW really does the full hardware update will be the next real leap forward in tech. Probably 2025 model year when you will see the parts and full options come back along with new tech implemented.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #73
Jennifer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is 2020 BMW tech too. When BMW really does the full hardware update will be the next real leap forward in tech. Probably 2025 model year when you will see the parts and full options come back along with new tech implemented.
We know yours is 2020 model! Thanks for posting this! Reportedly there are minor improvements in the current 2023 BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #74
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Yes, you are right. It was revealed around that timeline early 2020, and they skipped the launch X7 version 2019 which never got this 3D view at all even though it is equipped with the necessary hardware for it. Here is a post below from a user with 2019 X7 who got it in the first view months confirming that the OTA didn't unlock the 3D view for him. Also from the link of the video, you can see that BMW uploaded it to YouTube around end of 2019. Pretty nice feature, I use it on all my road trips.
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

Later in 2020 (various press-releases in April-May 2020), BMW made another announcement of adding a few more features to it. They kept adding more enhancements via software update only up until this date. Last software update was March to April 2022. Most significant improvements that I noticed occurred in the 07/2021.85 version. March 2022 was very minor as the focus now is more on the autonomous driving for the newer hardware on the 7-series sedan and iX as of today.
Link: https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/05/27/b...-professional/

Last edited by BMW5and7; 09-07-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0