E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power" Warning Message

06-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellie View Post
Of course, but everyone should also have enough common sense to know not to buy a car the first year of production and expect it to be perfect. Especially a car that is at the height of technology. When you buy a car like the E93 this early on, you are basically doing R&D for BMW. There is only so much the engineers can do to test the car before they release it. It will be a year or two before they get all the major kinks worked out, but I'm sure you guys have figured that out by now.

Yes, there are laws to protect consumers, so there is no need to keep a spreadsheet. It sounded to me like AZ-BMW just wants to stir up trouble.
You are the same folks (crooks) who ruin brand names that took decades to built upon. Just keep doing the same thing as some of you are doing now and your company will end up like the big three in Detroit.
      06-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #24
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep
Drives: I work with lots of BMWs

Quote:
And yes, us dealership employees stick together. We wouldn't get very far if we didn't. Based on what I've read around here, we're the enemy and the only reason the dealer exists in the first place is to rip you off and screw up your car.
Theres a lot of talk on forums about "stealerships" and how we overcharge and markup prices and Kellie and I are sick of it. We do our job and we care about our job and your car. Some techs don't, unfortunatly they are still employed at various dealers nationwide. However, Kellie and I are here to offer our opinion and insight to the dealership world.

Quote:
So I took delivery of my 335i coupe in sept. The firtst night i had it i noticed the oil level falling. It turns out the rear main seal was defective. Took it back to dealer and they repaired it within 3 days. Within 1 month the infamous half illuminated transmission light came on. I was a bit troubled. Took it back to the dealer and they said that it was the fact that there was low fuel??? Suspect!! They cleared the codes and gave me the car back within 2 days. Within 2 weeks the same light came on. I was beginning to get annoyed. They had the car again for another 7 days. The SA said that they tested the fuel and updated the software version in the car. The next month the same light. I was pissed at this point. They kept the car for another week. Now it Dec. and i would hope by now they know what the hell is going on. A replacement HPP never was mentioned to me or even a problem with them. Its now June and the car has been in the shop 6 previous times. I have recieved a replacement pump last week and 2 days later THE DAMN THING FAILED AGAIN!!! Took it back, called BMWNA, and the finance center. Told the SA i dont want the car back, told the sales manager, to get a dealer assist or a new car (he actually told me to not accept the car repaired), and told BMW NA to stop telling me that they dont know of any other problems like this. Seriously, is BMW NA ignorant to this matter?? Have any of you had a second pump fail?? Why arent they issueing a recall? This just is frustrating!!
That sucks, sounds like ignorance on the tech's part. He should have diagnosed that right the first time. However, it sounds like it was one of the first ones to go bad. No one knew what was happening when they first started going out. I dont know if a recall will be issued, they finally did the E60 steering angle sensors but there were A LOT that were failing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #25
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
You are the same folks (crooks) who ruin brand names that took decades to built upon. Just keep doing the same thing as some of you are doing now and your company will end up like the big three in Detroit.
What is this supposed to mean?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:14 AM   #26
kellie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 WRX, 1988 325iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Posts like this make me seriously reconsider my career choice. I work my ass off to fix cars for people like you 40+ hours a week. I take extra time to make sure everything I do is absolutely perfect on every single car I work on, and what do I get for it? Absolutely nothing. I even post on forums like this one (and many others) in my spare time to help people fix their cars, and all I get is flamed, called names, blamed for the prices at the dealership which I have absolutely no control over. You wonder why I'm jaded and my posts sound bitter? Because of ungrateful people like you. If you don't want to deal with crooks like me and Nick, then take your car to an independent to get serviced and shell out your precious pennies, because if you want any favors from us, you might actually (god forbid) have to take your car to a dealership!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:36 AM   #27
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep

For the record, I try very hard at my job. I appreciate it dearly and I give a shit about the car I'm working on. Unfortunatly techs before me and Kellie have ruined it by doing shaddy work or overcharging or leaving "paw" prints on the interior after a job is completed. Well let me say those days are over, Kellie and myself come from the same training background and we were taught proper procedures and techniques on these cars. We care about you and the car and we want you to leave happy.
Quote:
Things like this only make mad and are completely misunderstood. This is the type of customer who gives dealers bad names when infact the dealership does all it can and is allowed to do to please the customer. We're sorry the fuel pumps are on backorder, we're sorry that we're out of loaner cars, we're sorry for the complete inconveinence of you having to bring your car to us. But it is what it is, and this is how we have to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #28
Critter Fixer
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe (Space Grey, Red)

Thanks...the SA never mentioned anything about the HPP until this last time. This dealership has been notorious for poor service. I worked there when I was 15-17 years old. They are in a middle of building a new service center and it seems that details are being missed. Its just very frustrating. Do you know much about dealer assists? The sales mgr keeps saying htye are getting me one of these.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #29
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

How long does it take to install the actual pump? one day? or two?
      06-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #30
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I don't think anyone can rightly blame dealerships for part failures and poor testing by the manufacturer, but to suggest that people who purchase BMW's should "expect" failures like the HPFP issues to occur in a first year car is ludicrous. If a BMW tech had told me something like that, oh and thanks for being a beta tester, while I was car shopping and test driving, I would have kept right on shopping.

If it makes you BMW employees feel better I really like my CA and have no issues with my dealership or the other one that I've used here in Atlanta. I give the benefit of the doubt until I have reason not to.
      06-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #31
kellie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 WRX, 1988 325iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I don't think anyone can rightly blame dealerships for part failures and poor testing by the manufacturer, but to suggest that people who purchase BMW's should "expect" failures like the HPFP issues to occur in a first year car is ludicrous. If a BMW tech had told me something like that, oh and thanks for being a beta tester, while I was car shopping and test driving, I would have kept right on shopping.
It's ludicrous, but it's true. It seems like every time BMW releases a brand new car, there are several recalls, service actions and problems to follow. It's something that we as techs come to expect, but it isn't exactly something that BMW advertises. Of course a salesperson would never advertise it, but it does happen. It's the price you pay to have a car as smart as these are though. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not excusing these HPFP failures because I agree that it's ridiculous that you guys have brand new cars with only a few thousand miles on them that are out of commission until your part arrives. I would be frustrated too, and I completely understand where you're coming from. It's just the unfortunate truth that these things happen.

Quote:
If it makes you BMW employees feel better I really like my CA and have no issues with my dealership or the other one that I've used here in Atlanta. I give the benefit of the doubt until I have reason not to.
Thank you, I wish there were more customers like you.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #32
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Problem Solved - I hope

Problem solved today by my local dealer who replaced the cylinder #1 fuel Injector with a new version (P/N 13-53-7-565-138); they had to get permission from a BMW Engineer to replace it.

Asked about the other 5 old rev Injectors which will probably also die in the future and was told, "we must fix them as they fail." So I guess I have 5 more chances to get stuck in the desert and not make it to San Diego again. No, make that 6 chances; ie, I forgot about the HPFP which hasn't died yet.

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #33
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Problem solved today by my local dealer who replaced the cylinder #1 fuel Injector with a new version (P/N 13-53-7-565-138); they had to get permission from a BMW Engineer to replace it.

Asked about the other 5 old rev Injectors which will probably also die in the future and was told, "we must fix them as they fail." So I guess I have 5 more chances to get stuck in the desert and not make it to San Diego again. No, make that 6 chances; ie, I forgot about the HPFP which hasn't died yet.
I think you stopped by our shop last week but you didn't have enough time for us to properly diag and fix the car. I hope your dealer took care of you and your car runs great.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #34
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
How long does it take to install the actual pump? one day? or two?

an hour to install the fuel pump

hell even i can do it...they do a lot of programing after that...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #35
mlingo
Rep
Drives: 335i Space grey Coral Red

Got my first error at 11,800 miles. It is at the dealer as we speak. When I come to a stop the engine seems to be starving for fuel and just stops.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 03:24 PM   #36
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Quote:
Things like this only make mad and are completely misunderstood. This is the type of customer who gives dealers bad names when infact the dealership does all it can and is allowed to do to please the customer.
Don't let the jaded views of a few be mis-construed as the general consensus. There are alot of us that have trouble free experiences with their cars...I've got 6K miles on my 335 with no problems...I've got an 03 M3 with 75K trouble free miles but we don't generally post our good experiences. One bad experience at a dealership can linger alot longer than a good experience. I only have one BMW dealership in my town and I won't name them (TOM BUSH BMW) but they're horrible. I will continue to drive 90 miles each way to buy and service my cars in Daytona because they understand what customer service is.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #37
E90Russ
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (E90)

Man that sucks. Let us know if the fix works.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #38
Zeroday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Plymouth Volare

you guys do realize this was a post from June that got bumped today right?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #39
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
$2000.00 for a Fuel Pump??
Did you notice the "High Pressure" part of it? This is not your conventional fuel pump. This one supplies the direct injectors at up to 3000 psi.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #40
jaserion
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Onsh'mo...

yep, it just happened to me this morning while driving to work. the car was picked last friday night and has 121 miles on it. dealer doesnt know what happened. they cleared it and let's hope it stays away!

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #41
jaserion
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Onsh'mo...

happened again at 296 miles.
Appreciate 0