BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Beware no AC vents in third row unless you get cold weather package.

04-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Beware no AC vents in third row unless you get cold weather package.

I live in Houston where we have mild winters and there is no need for the cold weather package, so I thought.

I just discovered my X7 does not have AC vents in the third row, WTF!!! I was under the false impression that if you did not get the 5 zone climate control the temp in the third row would default to the second row, I never would have thought BMW would have deleted the vents!!Even an entry level Tahoe, that is half the price of an X7, has vents in the third row. Hell every 3 row SUV I know of has vent for the third row.

I am not happy about this I live in Houston were we have brutal summers that average 95-100 deg F. I researched the hell out of this car and this is not clear in any documentation. The only saving grace I have is that I have captain chairs that will allow some air to get to the third row via the center console vents. If you have the bench seat without the cold weather package you are screwed.

Overall I am still happy with the X7 but we will just have to see how this summer goes and if my third row passengers complain or not.
Appreciate 3
VTENGR1043.50
clee1982796.00
      04-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Wow. Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I live in Houston where we have mild winters and there is no need for the cold weather package, so I thought.

I just discovered my X7 does not have AC vents in the third row, WTF!!! I was under the false impression that if you did not get the 5 zone climate control the temp in the third row would default to the second row, I never would have thought BMW would have deleted the vents!!Even an entry level Tahoe, that is half the price of an X7, has vents in the third row. Hell every 3 row SUV I know of has vent for the third row.

I am not happy about this I live in Houston were we have brutal summers that average 95-100 deg F. I researched the hell out of this car and this is not clear in any documentation. The only saving grace I have is that I have captain chairs that will allow some air to get to the third row via the center console vents. If you have the bench seat without the cold weather package you are screwed.

Overall I am still happy with the X7 but we will just have to see how this summer goes and if my third row passengers complain or not.
On my build the cold weather package is where the 5 climate zone is listed. Do you have climate controls in the third row? I would think that would insure vents?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

You should be getting 3rd row vents either way with or without package... how do you make a 3rd row with no ventilation at all?
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
grkmec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal man View Post
You should be getting 3rd row vents either way with or without package... how do you make a 3rd row with no ventilation at all?
Read the ordering guide here:
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1546409

4-zone is standard. In order to get 5 zone controls you need CWP
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkmec View Post

Yeah but even in cars with 2 zone climate (driver + passenger), the back seats get vents - they're typically under the seat or in the center console.

You would think with 4 zone, you get [driver + passenger + driver side 2nd row + passenger side 2nd row] and then vents for the 3rd row that coincide with 2nd row settings.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I read the ordering guide and in any multi-zone AC system that I have ever had did not lack vents it only gave the option to have more control over the temperature in different parts of the vehicle or zones. An example my Escalade had 3 zone climate control for left and right front passenger and rear but the rear zone controlled the temp for the 2nd and 3rd row but it did not lack vents.

Since the X7 has standard four zone my thoughts were that the left and right 2nd row zones would manage the temp for the left and right third row and if you elected to get the 5 zone then the third row would get there own controls but never would I have thought that they would delete the vents. No other true 3row vehicle I know of is like this. BMW screwed this one up.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Mercedes GLS (the most direct X7 competitor) is the same way. In the X166 (current/previous gen) if you did not order the 3 zone climate control, you didn't have AC vents in the 3rd row.
Based on what I see in the new X167 (2020 GLS) it's the same way, if you don't order 4 zone/5 zone climate control then you don't have AC vents in the 3rd row.

Kind of sad when a $35k Nissan Armada has vents in 3rd row as standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I read the ordering guide and in any multi-zone AC system that I have ever had did not lack vents it only gave the option to have more control over the temperature in different parts of the vehicle or zones. An example my Escalade had 3 zone climate control for left and right front passenger and rear but the rear zone controlled the temp for the 2nd and 3rd row but it did not lack vents.

Since the X7 has standard four zone my thoughts were that the left and right 2nd row zones would manage the temp for the left and right third row and if you elected to get the 5 zone then the third row would get there own controls but never would I have thought that they would delete the vents. No other true 3row vehicle I know of is like this. BMW screwed this one up.
I asked the BMW reps at the LA auto show about this in November and they told me I needed cold weather package to get 3rd row vents. They are on left and right side.

I'd like to see them offer a "warm weather package" that offers the 5 zone plus the 2nd row shades.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdesign7 View Post
Quote:

On my build the cold weather package is where the 5 climate zone is listed. Do you have climate controls in the third row? I would think that would insure vents?
Yes the CWP does get you vents but regardless if you have 5 zone or not the car should have vents in the third row.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Wow! I can't believe it. This virtually can drop the overall re-sell value of the car, especially when sold in Colder areas (and Hot areas as well, right?!).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Wow! I can't believe it. This virtually can drop the overall re-sell value of the car, especially when sold in Colder areas (and Hot areas as well, right?!).
Had I been aware I would have gotten the CWP
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
Metal man
Private
Rep

Quote:

I was just talking about ventilation only not control. Its most likely the common fake 4/5 zone anyways like all manufactures. There definitely is not a compressor/separate fan motor for each row.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #14
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

This is just terrible and something I never would have imagined I would even consider needing to think about. I don’t need any cold weather package but I sure as hell need a hot weather package because without vents in the 3rd row my kids are going to be miserable in the summer and get carsick the rest of the time.

This is an outrageous oversight. A $90,000 car in a non-cold weather region where a winter package isn’t even a mindset or an afterthought and the end result is a sweltering climate in an already claustrophobic space? My wife and kids are going to kill me for this. Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #15
Metal man
Private
Rep

Just read that the gls 5 zone has 3 separate compressors and 3 separate fans for each row. Curious about the X7
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #16
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Just read that the gls 5 zone has 3 separate compressors and 3 separate fans for each row. Curious about the X7
GLS has a 48V electrical system. The AC compressors run off the 48V instead of engine power.

X7 does not have a 48V system and has the AC compressor running off the engine the traditional way.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #17
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
GLS has a 48V electrical system. The AC compressors run off the 48V instead of engine power.

X7 does not have a 48V system and has the AC compressor running off the engine the traditional way.
Interesting. Has this proven to have benefits, one vs. the other, in any way?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #18
swenzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Escalad / 17 Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Interesting. Has this proven to have benefits, one vs. the other, in any way?
I believe this mainly benefits engine auto stop at lights. With 48V system at stop engine can turn off even when AC is running.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 03:23 AM   #19
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by swenzi View Post
I believe this mainly benefits engine auto stop at lights. With 48V system at stop engine can turn off even when AC is running.
They also need the 48V to run their E-Active Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #20
fir3wall
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 I40

Used it for the first time yesterday, could not survive without it

I was totally surprised to read that the 3rd row vents come only with the CWP. They probably should change the name of the package. We live in NY and thought to give up on this when ordered the X7, as we never used it in our previous BMWs. It was kind of warm yesterday and we had to use the third row AC, it worked nicer than the X5 vents and functioned as a stand-alone AC. I can see why you need to pay extra to get it. However, they should be careful explaining it (specially in Texas!!). My recommendation is to add this feature, it’s a must..
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50
clee1982796.00
      04-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #21
Artsardar
Rep
Drives: G07 G05 F15

Hey

Quote:

Do you have 4NN?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #22
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsardar View Post
Quote:

Do you have 4NN?
No I only got the standard 4 zone climate control but like I have stated before most cars with multi zone climate control have vents through out the car.
Appreciate 0