BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Small accident - where to repair?

Yesterday, 08:15 AM   #1
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

Small accident - where to repair?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Had a small accident occur while parked. A car reversed into my front bumper and left a small dent and compressed the lower bumper a bit. Very slight damage (see photos). 2023 with 12k miles. Luckily, the other driver left a note and took responsibility (very appreciative of that). My question is, would you bring it back to the dealership for repair or find a reputable shop to do it? Located in northern VA if anyone has any shop recommendations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:19 AM   #2
E46G07fanatic
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, BMW X7, Tesla Model Y

Something to consider is if you want it on your vehicle's history report. Responsibly party paying cash or going through insurance?

I've always heard good things about D&V Auto Body in Sterling.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #3
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

https://my.bmwusa.com/ccrc

factory certified collision center.
be warned, thats going to be a 3k+ repair- if the other party was going to take care of it out of insurance, they will likely balk.
plastic bumpers cant really be repaired, the correct fix is a new cover.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #4
Taktix1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46G07fanatic View Post
Something to consider is if you want it on your vehicle's history report. Responsibly party paying cash or going through insurance?

I've always heard good things about D&V Auto Body in Sterling.
I've been debating this all day. The damage is soooo minimal that you'd never know unless someone pointed it out to you. Responsible party is going through insurance. Are there any positives you can think of to just leave it as is? When I go to sell, I'm sure they'll notice it during inspection and ding me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
https://my.bmwusa.com/ccrc

factory certified collision center.
be warned, thats going to be a 3k+ repair- if the other party was going to take care of it out of insurance, they will likely balk.
plastic bumpers cant really be repaired, the correct fix is a new cover.
The other party gladly gave me their insurance so I'm assuming that's the route they'd want to take. I can't believe this slight ding is going to be a 3k fix though, that's crazy!! Regarding certified collision centers, I've heard lots of good things about D&V also, but they are not on that list you gave which now worries me. Is there a reason to make sure to go to a certified collision center?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

It needs fixed. I would spot that spot right away if I were inspecting your X7. The issue then becomes the idea of “what else is damaged I can’t see?” Not fixing it will come back to haunt you either resale or trade-in.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #6
Madsen203
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
The other party gladly gave me their insurance so I'm assuming that's the route they'd want to take. I can't believe this slight ding is going to be a 3k fix though, that's crazy!! Regarding certified collision centers, I've heard lots of good things about D&V also, but they are not on that list you gave which now worries me. Is there a reason to make sure to go to a certified collision center?
My main concern is that BMW has some unique paint and getting it to match/blend right will be really challenging. I had a pearl paint on another car and went to a highly rated auto shop and they royally f’d the paint and couldn’t blend for the life of them. I finally gave up on it and left it but was always so unhappy when walking up to the car.

I’d take a cash settlement and run. I wonder if some heat and PDR could get it close to OE.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #7
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
I've been debating this all day. The damage is soooo minimal that you'd never know unless someone pointed it out to you. Responsible party is going through insurance. Are there any positives you can think of to just leave it as is? When I go to sell, I'm sure they'll notice it during inspection and ding me anyway.

once a plastic bumper is deformed, its basically a replacement.
the cover is about 1K, the rest is labor and materials.
repair doesnt make sense, on a flexible item like a bumper you'll end up with failure with any flexing, like bumping something in the same spot. plus the labor to prep the repaired bumper for paint is going to be close or more than the labor to paint a replacement.

CCRCs are second only to the VDCs and factory in terms of ability to repair. they have access to the same tools and processes that the factory has. that being said, a well reviewed local shop should be able to handle this repair. you want to make sure the paint match is good and that they dont try to blend the adjacent panels.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0