BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Our X7 40i-xdrive - The good, the bad, & the mods

09-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep
Drives: Several various vehicles

Our X7 40i-xdrive - The good, the bad, & the mods

Have had many bimmers over the years, but this is the first BMW SUV we have had. All our SUV's have typically been Lexus or Mercedes in the past. So far we are loving it compared to our previous GLS it is very different, in good ways.

But like all things, I just can't leave good enough alone and have to tinker. So here's our thread on our first BMW SUV adventure, mods, thoughts, and all things good and bad.

Quick links to mods:

* Carbon Fiber wrapped mirrors: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...70&postcount=3

* Center console storage tray organizer: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...85&postcount=4

* Ipad / Tablet holders for the kiddos: https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...34&postcount=9

Attached Images

Last edited by beetagh; 09-23-2021 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
M2COMP494.50
      09-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

First things first. The gripes. Maybe some of ya'll can help with these if I'm not seeing the seeing the solution yet.

1) Our LX570 and our old Range Rover were able to lower the vehicle when stopping so that entry/exit were easier for the shorter folks in the family. I've searched high and low, but so far have not been able to find a way to enable this X7 to lower automatically when stopping to allow easier entry/exit with the car in full "low" position. Weird that BMW wouldn't enable this as a feature since it's on air suspension.

2) The cargo area privacy cover seems like it is only able to be installed in the forward most position (in front of the 3rd row). I haven't found any possible way for it to install behind the third row so that it can be used when the third row is in the up position. Really BMW? Is there a different privacy cover or something we have to buy to use behind the third row?

3) The second row seats have great adjustability, but they don't seem to go that far back compared to other vehicles in this segment. Is there a mod that will allow the second row seats to go a couple inches further back?

4) The factory running boards are a joke and an annoyance. So we made sure to get one without them. BMW, seriously, an SUV this size, with no usable step to get in and out? My kids and wife slide off the seat to get out and that leather is going to rub raw pretty quick. I saw a use here installed the retracting ones, we will more than likely go that same route unless there's a good solid state step option.

5) Suspension in normal old comfort mode is really unstable around turns if its a bumpy road. A lot odd feeling from front/rear opposite corners. In sport mode its much better. I've had the dealer look over the suspension and they tell me its normal. Compared to our LX570, GL450, and Range Rover in the past non of them had this issue around bumpy turns in the road. Very odd feeling, somewhat disappointed BMW didn't have this tuned in better.

6) The soft close doors don't really work as well as our 7 series did. It seems that even a gentle shut of the door closes it all the way.

7) Why use both chrome and the satin silver mister BMW? Stick to one or the other. I'll be working on getting rid of the chrome bits little by little. The mix of the two looks odd in my opinion.

8) The Travel & Comfort mount in comparison to where the second row seats are makes the folding table and the tablet holders sit in a really odd spot in my opinion. Not very well thought out by BMW unfortunately. The only thing that I have found that works well in the Travel & Comfort slot is the hook, my wife uses it to hang her purse on it.

The good stuff:
1) seats are surprisingly comfortable, better than the GLS in my opinion
2) infotainment control is WAY better and easier than the 2020+ GLS
3) in sport mode it drives very similarly to our 2015 740i msport. Very solid and confident
4) The looks are so nice in person. Photos never did this vehicle justice. In person they look fantastic. Far superior to the X5/X6 in my opinion
5) I like the giant grille, it's growing on me
6) The extended glass roof all the way to the third row has been a big hit and makes the interior feel much larger than competitors
7) The captains chairs in the second row are a hit and really comfortable too.
8) The 22" staggered wheel option is a must. They fit and look so perfect on this body, the backspacing is perfect in my opinion as well.
9) Sound system is great, better than the GLS i think
10) Apple and Android integration is wow wow wow fantastic, and really well done
11) The driver assist in stop and go traffic is a life saver and works surprisingly well.
12) The parallel parking feature is interesting, haven't gotten it to work for us yet, but looking forward to finding the right area to test it again.

Last edited by beetagh; 09-22-2021 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

First mod, I hate body colored mirrors, unless it's a black car. I always end up wrapping them in carbon fiber on all our cars. I've used a lot of different wraps over the years, my favorite by far is the 3m 1080 non-glossy carbon fiber wrap. It holds up really well over time, looks fanastic, and is textured. 99% of folks think its real carbon fiber. I like it much better than the super glossy CF covers or replacements you see on the internet.

Here is the vinyl wrap I used. About $25 on amazon for enough material to do the mirrors and still have more left over:
https://amzn.to/3CEZWwg

Attached Images

Last edited by beetagh; 09-23-2021 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      09-22-2021, 10:01 PM   #4
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Second mod, the center console tray of course. It's easy and a no brainer. Did a detailed video on it too incase anyone is interested.

Got it for about $15 on amazon here:
https://amzn.to/3EJ558x

Attached Images

Last edited by beetagh; 09-22-2021 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
Xtabi1696.00
      09-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #5
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak@vorzex View Post
Second mod, the center console tray of course. It's easy and a no brainer. Did a detailed video on it too incase anyone is interested.

I am definitely getting this tray! Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
I am definitely getting this tray! Thanks for sharing
Best $15 bucks I've spent.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:26 PM   #7
Angelo_GraysonMiniBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3,2020 Land Cruiser

Quote:
Best $15 bucks I've spent.
Thanks for the link as well, ordering right now and I don’t even have my X7 yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo1 View Post
Thanks for the link as well, ordering right now and I don’t even have my X7 yet.
You sound like me. Piles of parts on shelves waiting to get installed on various toys that may or may not have been delivered yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:11 PM   #9
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Next was to figure out the best way to keep the kids entertained in the back seat. So we needed some sort of an ipad mount / tablet mount. I had a few requirements:
* I wanted something that would sit as flush as possible to the seat back.
* I wanted something that was fairly universal as far as what size and shape devices would fit in the cradle of the mount.
* I wanted something that was high enough so the kids were looking straight or up, and not downards.
* And a nice to have feature was something that was on an arm of some sort that would enable a single device screen to be positioned somewhat towards the center so both kids could watch a single movie if they wanted to.

I tried the OEM BMW Travel & Comfort tablet mount that plugs into the socket in the seat back. In my opinion it stuck out too far from the seat back, and it was also not really adjustable except for tilting up/down angle.

I tried 2 other universal type mounts that fit on the headrest. One of them was nice and sturdy, but stuck out too far. The other one had a very long arm to get to the center of the vehicle, but again was too bulky.

Then I found this one below. It fits super flush against the seat back when it is in the retracted position, and it tilts out far enough towards the center of the vehicle so that it's easily visible by both kids. And best of all, it's less than $20 per mount!!! SCORE!!

I got two of them on Amazon here for $15 each!!:
https://amzn.to/3kxXZLV

And I did a detailed video on it for those interested:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
XSnake1.50
      09-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
First things first. The gripes. Maybe some of ya'll can help with these if I'm not seeing the seeing the solution yet.

2) The cargo area privacy cover seems like it is only able to be installed in the forward most position (in front of the 3rd row). I haven't found any possible way for it to install behind the third row so that it can be used when the third row is in the up position. Really BMW? Is there a different privacy cover or something we have to buy to use behind the third row?
Mine came with a small folding cover that slots in behind the third row seats. There are two small rails at the top of the rear, where the roof cloth or alcantara meets the luggage area material. Maybe the dealer forgot to give it to you? Also look in the spare tire area (under the floor of the trunk), it may be there - there is a slot to store it if you have the full luggage cover up.

The dealer also should have given you headrest pillows that attach to the captains chairs.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #11
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich5741 View Post
Mine came with a small folding cover that slots in behind the third row seats. There are two small rails at the top of the rear, where the roof cloth or alcantara meets the luggage area material. Maybe the dealer forgot to give it to you? Also look in the spare tire area (under the floor of the trunk), it may be there - there is a slot to store it if you have the full luggage cover up.

The dealer also should have given you headrest pillows that attach to the captains chairs.
I definitely have the pillows and the cargo net. Also have the larger cargo cover. But the small folding one I don't have. Will have to ask the dealer about that one. Good to know there is one.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #12
rich5741
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
I definitely have the pillows and the cargo net. Also have the larger cargo cover. But the small folding one I don't have. Will have to ask the dealer about that one. Good to know there is one.
It’s featured on pg 335 of the manual, in case he gives you trouble / says its not included.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
theboosh
Rep
Drives: 23 XM,64MGB,64Morris,60JagMk2,

mods for our M50

Happy that our 2020 had every option available. Given a choice we would have not chosen the rear ent pkg. Lots of gear/travel/dog, etc so easy to scratch the screens. Had a m63 amg with rear screens and used ipad covers that do the job so use them now on the BMW. Also showing crossbars from Amazon - fit great, low profile, no sun roof problems and half price from others.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #14
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboosh View Post
Happy that our 2020 had every option available. Given a choice we would have not chosen the rear ent pkg. Lots of gear/travel/dog, etc so easy to scratch the screens. Had a m63 amg with rear screens and used ipad covers that do the job so use them now on the BMW. Also showing crossbars from Amazon - fit great, low profile, no sun roof problems and half price from others.
Great idea. Looks good too.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #15
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Wrapped the chrome side trim yesterday.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Xtabi1696.00
      09-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #16
jj0214
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

looks great!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #17
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj0214 View Post
looks great!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #18
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

A little curb rash on the front front/left wheel from the drivethru. Whoops.

Had a local Austin based repair guy come out and fix it. Looks good as new again.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #19
huskerdoc2020
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I like the carbon fiber on the hockey stick. However my OCD wants to tell you the film below the door is not a continuation of the orientation of the film on the hockey stick. Sorry, it got the best of me.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #20
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerdoc2020 View Post
I like the carbon fiber on the hockey stick. However my OCD wants to tell you the film below the door is not a continuation of the orientation of the film on the hockey stick. Sorry, it got the best of me.
You're referring to the direction of the pattern right? That's bugging me too. I didn't have a piece wide enough to match the pattern. I ordered another small roll in the right size to re-do that front section again to match the door sills.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:42 AM   #21
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Blacked out the trunk hatch chrome trim with 3M carbon fiber wrap. Took maybe 20 minutes, Pretty easy piece to wrap.

Used 3M 1080/2080 Carbon Fiber Wrap: https://amzn.to/3kPedQT

Quick video here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #22
beetagh
Beetagh
United_States
Rep

Installed the black m-sport grill. Easiest mod so far. Took less than 10-minutes, and looks much more fitting than the old satin+chrome grill.

Got the grill here: https://amzn.to/2Ya7fxt

Quick video here of the install process:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1