BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board I drove to California and back

01-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I drove to California and back

Mom turned 90 on Friday, and with the airlines shenanigans (my sister is a flight attendant so I got some inside scoop) and cancellations, etc. we decided to cancel our flights and drive from the Atlantic (Florida) to the Pacific (Newport Beach) to celebrate.

We left on Saturday (8th) and drove I-10 the entire way, arriving just after noon on the 11th. About 34 driving hours total, not bad. Stayed in hotels, ate in restaurants, etc.

Interestingly we found as we moved west people became more and more covid-engaged, for lack of a better term. Here in So Cal we saw lots of people move away from anyone without a mask, even outdoors where many are masked. I got a sense of an atmosphere of fear and anxiety, angst I suppose here in CA that we don’t have at home. But along the way the other travelers seemed to be comfortable with standard precautions and unfazed by it otherwise.

Mom had a great birthday, although the fearful participated via Zoom instead of coming in person. Was great to see her again. It had been three years because of travel restrictions and work requirements; so now that I’ve retired and have no restrictions, we were able to drive out.

Then Saturday morning we were alerted to a tsunami risk. This was particularly amusing as people were streaming to the bluffs and beach to watch - until the sheriffs helicopter and harbor patrol “encouraged” them to move off the beach. Here it was not big enough to observe (we were watching from a third floor window overlooking the beach). However I hear there was some minor damage in harbors along the cost of CA - haven’t heard anything about Mexico, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia or Alaska.

We’re heading back tomorrow; will take a side trip to Hoover Dam as my wife hasn’t seen it. Probably a stop at the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, and then pedal to the metal on home.

Its a great country and nice to get out and see it again. I hope the covid-fearful start to relax a bit more and enjoy life, such as it is, again.

Last edited by 2000cs; 01-23-2022 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 19
o_g487.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
NickyC17350.50
Murf99314114.00
Tommy-G4467.00
DETRoadster11446.00
chassis6373.50
RickFLM410880.50
hubbahubba8710.00
Bruuuce341.50
cmyx6go15573.50
Kilabyte3942.00
540iSUP703.00
Mein11422.00
wdb4673.00
      01-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Mom turned 90 on Friday, and with the airlines shenanigans (my sister is a flight attendant so I got some inside scoop) and cancellations, etc. we decided to cancel our flights and drive from the Atlantic (Florida) to the Pacific (Newport Beach) to celebrate.

We left on Saturday (8th) and drove I-10 the entire way, arriving just after noon on the 11th. About 34 driving hours total, not bad. Stayed in hotels, ate in restaurants, etc.

Interestingly we found as we moved west people became more and more covid-engaged, for lack of a better term. Here in So Cal we saw lots of people move away from anyone without a mask, even outdoors where many are masked. I got a sense of an atmosphere of fear and anxiety, angst I suppose here in CA that we don’t have at home. But along the way the other travelers seemed to be comfortable with standard precautions and unfazed by it otherwise.

Mom had a great birthday, although the fearful participated via Zoom instead of coming in person. Was great to see her again. It had been three years because of travel restrictions and work requirements; so now that I’ve retired and have no restrictions, we were able to drive out.

Then Saturday morning we were alerted to a tsunami risk. This was particularly amusing as people were streaming to the bluffs and beach to watch - until the sheriffs helicopter and harbor patrol “encouraged” them to move off the beach. Here it was not big enough to observe (we were watching from a third floor window overlooking the beach). However I hear there was some minor damage in harbors along the cost of CA - haven’t heard anything about Mexico, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia or Alaska.

We’re heading back tomorrow; will take a side trip to Hoover Dam as my wife hasn’t seen it. Probably a stop at the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, and then pedal to the metal on home.

Its a great country and nice to get out and see it again. I hope the covid-fearful start to relax a bit more and enjoy life, such as it is, again.
I've done four road trips out West from Virginia, two in my wife's Z3 and two on my Valkyrie Interstate. Only have been as far as the Rockies, as that was the destination; last trip was in 2017. However, back in 1985 I did drive across country from LA to Maryland with my parents in Dad's 1979 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Diesel. What a great trip that was. The Olds could cover 900 miles on a full tank (30 MPG with a 30-gallon tank). We made the trip in 3 days including a 4-hour stop-over at the Grand Canyon.

Nothing better than a cross-country road trip. People in fly-over country are the nicest you'll meet anywhere in the USA.

Congrats to your mother for making 90!
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 5
2000cs3447.00
Murf99314114.00
DETRoadster11446.00
wdb4673.00
      01-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I think "caution" is more accurate than "fearful."

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 9
2000cs3447.00
minn1913970.00
Germanauto9665.50
vanguard8245.50
gatorfast4969.00
540iSUP703.00
Mein11422.00
wdb4673.00
      01-16-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I've driven from MA to Texas a few times in my younger days. Once I did it almost non-stop, with just a couple hour nap in a rest area. These days I can barely deal with a 3 hour drive to Chicago. My back just doesn't do well sitting in a car for long stretches. We used to drive out to New England to visit family every year, but now there is just my FIL there. That's a two day drive for us and I'm not sure either of us can deal with that now. Really a shame since flying is more and more of a hassle now than the time savings is worth.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
2000cs3447.00
Murf99314114.00
      01-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I think "caution" is more accurate than "fearful."
Of course my sample is small, but I initially thought it was caution and after a bit concluded what I was seeing/hearing was deeper and much more like fear. Not paranoia or freak out fear, but fear with anxiety (always looking around apparently to see masks, etc). People along the route were cautious, generally wearing masks and sanitizing, etc. People in SoCal and on our Zoom were clearly fearful and very anxious about it. For the Zooming family members (cousins, etc) it seemed to be because of age (most are 70+ and many have other comorbidities), and perspective (several work in medical environments so see only people who are sick with Covid). But the people in an outdoor mall, along the beach and in other very open public places with sun and a breeze were often masked and making extra effort to avoid anyone in proximity (serious social distancing). Their eyes were skittish, flitting about to constantly assess risk it seemed. That struck me as excessive, an over-sensitivity.

Again, a few small, local samples, so just my observation and not necessarily representative of the entire state/region. I’m not trying to argue the “correct” covid responses or anything political, just making the observation that it is very different environment in this area than it is at home, and along the route.
Appreciate 4
NickyC17350.50
Murf99314114.00
antgenn301.00
540iSUP703.00
      01-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've done four road trips out West from Virginia, two in my wife's Z3 and two on my Valkyrie Interstate. Only have been as far as the Rockies, as that was the destination; last trip was in 2017. However, back in 1985 I did drive across country from LA to Maryland with my parents in Dad's 1979 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Diesel. What a great trip that was. The Olds could cover 900 miles on a full tank (30 MPG with a 30-gallon tank). We made the trip in 3 days including a 4-hour stop-over at the Grand Canyon.

Nothing better than a cross-country road trip. People in fly-over country are the nicest you'll meet anywhere in the USA.

Congrats to your mother for making 90!
In college in the late 80’s took a friends diesel Oldsmobile Cutlass 4-door on backroads from Richmond to Morgantown. All backroads in the fall.
Three of us lounging in the cars red crushed velvet interior. That was a good car so very comfortable.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3447.00
DETRoadster11446.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      01-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've driven from MA to Texas a few times in my younger days. Once I did it almost non-stop, with just a couple hour nap in a rest area. These days I can barely deal with a 3 hour drive to Chicago. My back just doesn't do well sitting in a car for long stretches. We used to drive out to New England to visit family every year, but now there is just my FIL there. That's a two day drive for us and I'm not sure either of us can deal with that now. Really a shame since flying is more and more of a hassle now than the time savings is worth.
My longest drive was 22 hours, trying to stay ahead of a blizzard as I drove from the western part of Wyoming to Chicago area, on the way to Detroit for a new job over the New Year’s holiday. I was in a mid-90s 740i and arrived without soreness or body fatigue, but tired mentally. That was 1999. On this trip, in a 2018 Volvo XC60, we were good for 11 hours if we had to, but preferred around 8 max. My wife has more difficulty with the seat time than I do.

I’ve driven I40, I10, I5, I90, I80 end-to-end and on most of the other interstates, and many US highways. I love the drive, zen-time, and seeing the country and meeting people from all over. But aging does suck!

I recently bought another 7-series (2006) but I need to do some things to it before another mega-trip, so it didn’t get the nod this time.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      01-16-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

My longest was from southern Ontario to Vancouver Island with 3 drivers going over top of the great lakes.. Only stopped for food and fuel it still took 3 days.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
2000cs3447.00
wdb4673.00
      01-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #9
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Cool story 2000cs love to see some pics from the ride home
Appreciate 2
2000cs3447.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      01-16-2022, 12:17 PM   #10
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Everyone should drive across this great and beautiful country at least once in their life. It's always an epic adventure no matter which route you take.

I've done Portland to Boston twice. Boston to Seattle once.

New Jersey to Seattle by way of Moab once. That was the best trip by far. 3 friends in a jeep with a 2-day stop off in Moab to do a little offroading.

I really have a soft spot for South Dakota. Beautiful scenery. I'd love a little cabin there on a river some day.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3447.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
cmyx6go15573.50
      01-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #11
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Glad your trip was uneventful. I once did a Phoenix to Miami trip when I bought a car out there, and I-10 through Texas is brutal. It never ends, but driving at night with the top down and seeing the stars was cool.

I agree that once you go over the Florida border, the covid fear is real. And those states with all the mask and vaccine mandates are still getting hammered with covid.
2000cs3447.00
      01-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #12
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I live out here, never sensed any "fear" in the Orange County area. Caution is a better term. Before Omicron a lot of people didn't even mask up anymore besides in stores and malls.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      01-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #13
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:

Awesome trip. That's our kind of travel, long distance multi day cross country journeys. We love them.

What did your sister have to say about the "scoop"?
Appreciate 1
2000cs3447.00
      01-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
2000cs
Captain
Rep

View from mom’s house, third floor. Some of the oldsters here will recognize this as the “rocky port” where a “fateful trip” began.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
chassis6373.50
overcoil3068.50
Tommy-G4467.00
dizz81296.00
bhowelett125.00
      01-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #15
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Awesome trip. That's our kind of travel, long distance multi day cross country journeys. We love them.

What did your sister have to say about the "scoop"?
She got covid over Christmas weekend. Although she and her coworkers wore N95 masks, some of them were sick (flying anyway at the behest of the airline) and no doubt some passengers were carriers as well. She recovered quickly and was told to return to work after 3 or 5 days (I don’t recall which), regardless of test status and with no further quarantine. She called in sick for several days instead.

She says flying is crazy right now, with people frustrated, angry, tense, etc. Just not a good time for anyone. And the schedules keep changing, crew are never certain as they continue to get sick, and those that do show up are getting long shifts and minimum required rests.

I really didn’t want to be in that environment enroute to see my mother. At her age, any exposure is risky, even though she is in very good health (for her age). So flying, getting exposed and potentially transmitting to her was just out of the question. Driving, if we had any indication of exposure or symptoms, we could just quarantine for the necessary time in a hotel, or turn around and head home with essentially no risk of exposing her.
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
RickFLM410880.50
      01-16-2022, 02:51 PM   #16
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I live out here, never sensed any "fear" in the Orange County area. Caution is a better term. Before Omicron a lot of people didn't even mask up anymore besides in stores and malls.
I live in Norcal and its the same...cautious is a better word. I won't get into anymore than that. I will be making the trip from California to Florida in the spring I believe. I'll just wear my mask and limit my exposure to other people & keep it moving. I am technically at risk so I do what I have to in order to be safe. I do not let anything keep me from doing what I want but I do what I want in a manner that will keep me safe.

Not looking forward to the drive because its soooo long! LOL. I drove Jersey to California back in 2002 and since then my longest road trip had been North Bay to LA...6 1/2 hours or so. 40+ hours in a car is gonna test my patience I think. LOL
Appreciate 3
2000cs3447.00
Germanauto9665.50
540iSUP703.00
      01-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #17
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

....We’re heading back tomorrow; will take a side trip to Hoover Dam as my wife hasn’t seen it. Probably a stop at the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest, and then pedal to the metal on home.....
You are retired. Why the heck are you hurrying home? For example, after Hoover Dam, you could swing by Zion and/or go to Grand Canyon. Staying off the Interstates and not being in a hurry is a good thing if you have the time.

My wife and I picked up her G05 at Spartanburg and drove it back to California where we life. It took 6 weeks!
Appreciate 5
2000cs3447.00
RickFLM410880.50
Tommy-G4467.00
wdb4673.00
      01-16-2022, 02:59 PM   #18
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
You are retired. Why the heck are you hurrying home? For example, after Hoover Dam, you could swing by Zion and/or go to Grand Canyon. Staying off the Interstates and not being in a hurry is a good thing if you have the time.

My wife and I picked up her G05 at Spartanburg and drove it back to California where we life. It took 6 weeks!
Retired, but still have some commitments on the 24th that I have to be home for. And winter weather and park closures/limitations make for a less enjoyable visit. For example, Hoover’s web site says no tours, but we can still get close and see it, etc. We got engaged at Grand Canyon on a previous road trip, drove to Yellowstone and the Oregon/NoCal coasts, etc. We’ve already seen a lot. This trip was a really all about mom’s birthday.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
View from mom’s house, third floor. Some of the oldsters here will recognize this as the “rocky port” where a “fateful trip” began.
She lives in Corona Del Mar?
Appreciate 2
2000cs3447.00
540iSUP703.00
      01-16-2022, 03:23 PM   #20
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
She lives in Corona Del Mar?
Yes. Bought the house for under $100k in 1970, a big stretch for them at the time. Realtor described it as a tear-down, but they lived in it and raised us for another 15 years, then remodeled it. Now, another 37 years later, it is again a tear-down. Not so much because of condition as the neighbor houses are mega huge and hers remains relatively modest, so when it is sold after her demise the buyer will certainly start over.

Dad died 22 years ago, leaving her the house and enough to live comfortably. One advantage to me of driving here is that I was able to bring a nice assortment of tools so I can fix little things that haven’t been attended to. Somehow I am her only progeny with any handyman skills.
Appreciate 5
chassis6373.50
M_Six16541.00
overcoil3068.50
540iSUP703.00
wdb4673.00
      01-16-2022, 03:36 PM   #21
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Therefore you get the house! Seems fair to me.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3447.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #22
2000cs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Therefore you get the house! Seems fair to me.
Me, too. But 4 others would dispute that! I’d be happy to get the lot and leave them the house!
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
RickFLM410880.50