BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Test drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance today... Wow

08-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #45
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Get both. Then put your M3P on turo for a weekend or 2 a month, that'll basically pay your monthly on that car, thus having a free car essentially. There's no "engine" to beat on or anything like that so it's the perfect car.

That's why i'm getting a model Y next year. I have enough cars but i'm going to commute with the Y during the week, then have it available on turo for the weekends. Whoever wants to rent it, can do so. And i'll basically have a free car to use.
That's a great idea, never actually thought of that. I was looking at the model Y too, I like how it looks better than the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
There is no engine noise... but there is also no oil leaks
that's true, my old M4 had some oil leaks during the heat of the summer, usually happens after I refuel. I can smell it pretty strongly in my garage. Glad I sold it this past weekend for $1000 less than what I paid for it 3 years ago at lease buy-off
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2021, 11:04 AM   #46
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

I've never used Turo, but stories like this scare me:

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-hap...r-a-1792048817
      08-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #47
speedmaster20d
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 comp BG. 2018 F80(sold)

what does this have to do with the M3 forum? sorry I don't see the connection here....
      08-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #48
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I am not sure latest BEV is really that good for the environment.

E.g. battery production(including mining) costs 100kg emission per kWh, so 70kWh(e.g. Model 3 SR@250 miles of range) is 7000kg.

Also US electricity on average emits 417g/kWh per eia.gov, or 139g/mile(assuming 3 miles/kWh).

In comparison, a G20 330i(600+ miles of range) emits 211g/mile, or 72g/mile extra.

If these numbers are accurate, then a G20 330i will need to cross 100k miles to break even with a Model 3 SR.
Recent study showed the crossover point at about 27K miles for a small EV. Running full solar at home that was sized for an EV so grid pollution is limited.

Last edited by Salespunk; 08-11-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #49
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
I get all that and don't know you personally or your lifestyle so what I am about to say is not directed at you. 99% of the people I know that buy Tesla's to save the world also live in 5,000sf or even much larger houses which require a lot of energy to maintain, consume a larger than average amount of disposable goods, etc., yet love to tell everyone how they are saving the planet. When in actuality, if they did an honest audit on the lifestyle, there's 10 things they can do ahead of buying a Tesla.

Again, not directed at you just what I've seen including from my Brother. :
Totally get this and agree. For me it is about making a difference where I can. Already have a large solar array on my current house and installed one on our last house as well. Have done some of the little stupid things that are fairly simple too, but we can all do better.

If you had asked me about this even 18 months ago I would have told you to pound sand. My personal carbon footprint was huge since I was flying 3-4 days per week to see customers, drive a Ram 2500 diesel since we have a 30'/10K lb trailer for vacations, etc. For whatever reason I have become much more conscience of my family's impact and the long term effects of our decisions. I also have serious issues with where some of the petro dollars go and the things that they fund.

Still not sure we will go the Tesla route simply because I hate Elon and his acolytes that act like driving a Tesla makes you a better person or implies some sort of sacrosanct position in society. I also want to dig into the environmental impact of production and the true crossover point. My question on all of these studies is whether they also take into account the supply chain of ICE engines and ongoing oil production.

As to how this is related to M3/4's? Well there are more people than you think that cross shop these vehicles. Look at what the Model S has done to 7 Series/S Class sales.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #50
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
It's like posting microwave test results in BBQ Grill forum
But that microwave is INSTANT! Grills can't even dream of being as fast!
Remind me not to accept your invite for the 4th of July Barbecue. 😆

I'm joking as long as the prime ribeye is cooked over a flame.

You can microwave the corn
Appreciate 2
wtwo317864.00
MTM3641.00
      08-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #51
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Remind me not to accept your invite for the 4th of July Barbecue. 😆

I'm joking as long as the prime ribeye is cooked over a flame.

You can microwave the corn
Corn is for chickens

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3319.50
MTM3641.00
      08-11-2021, 06:39 PM   #52
cole1186
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
Errm, is this thread some sort of paid promotion as part of the Tesla evangalist thing they do?

Don't get me wrong, there is lots of discussion of and comparison to other brands/models on here, but some of the replies seem a bit overly keen to convince those replying just how wonderful they are. Not being difficult but the Tesla guys have their own forums (on which some of the content verges on the creepy).
I won't own a Tesla for a few years ago definitely not. I like my m340i a lot more then the Tesla m3p I drove. But the model s plaid has really impressed me. Just wanted a discussion comparing both the m3 xdrive/rwd and the model 3 performance! I think it's a fun subject to talk about and I like hearing people's experiences with both.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #53
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

I wonder if they discuss BMW M3 in kitchen appliances forums. Probably not. Let’s move on
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      08-11-2021, 07:18 PM   #54
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
That's a great idea, never actually thought of that. I was looking at the model Y too, I like how it looks better than the 3.
My friend just got his M3P before the summer. It's awesome. The initial feeling is weird but after like 20 minutes you get used to it.

I only thing i don't like when driving it is how "fake" driving felt lol. It literally felt like you were driving those old school arcade games at the mall where you sit down and use that tiny ass steering wheel lol. Because the steering wheel in tesla's are rather small in diameter.

Other than that, acceleration is very smooth, obviously. And that instant torque for the commute makes you feel almost invincible. You know how when you're trying to merge on the freeway and you signal and you check your side mirror and you notice the car speeding up so you can't merge in front of them?

Not in a tesla. You see someone do that, and you mash the throttle and instantly put a bus length or 2 and you successfully merged in front of him. Then you can smile when he tries to do a ricer fly by around you lol.

I like the Y because the 3 is too small. I got spoiled by having a couple of SUV dailys.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:26 AM   #55
cole1186
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
My friend just got his M3P before the summer. It's awesome. The initial feeling is weird but after like 20 minutes you get used to it.

I only thing i don't like when driving it is how "fake" driving felt lol. It literally felt like you were driving those old school arcade games at the mall where you sit down and use that tiny ass steering wheel lol. Because the steering wheel in tesla's are rather small in diameter.

Other than that, acceleration is very smooth, obviously. And that instant torque for the commute makes you feel almost invincible. You know how when you're trying to merge on the freeway and you signal and you check your side mirror and you notice the car speeding up so you can't merge in front of them?

Not in a tesla. You see someone do that, and you mash the throttle and instantly put a bus length or 2 and you successfully merged in front of him. Then you can smile when he tries to do a ricer fly by around you lol.

I like the Y because the 3 is too small. I got spoiled by having a couple of SUV dailys.
That's what I loved about the Tesla... That instant acceleration. I actually ran a couple tests in my m340i today and the Tesla m3p when i drove it... So from 50-100mph my m340i (stock) was faster by .4 seconds. Dave from 40-100mph (3 seconds faster). Only thing the Tesla was better at was 0-60. But from a roll my bmw was quicker.

Can't wait to get into my m3... It's going to shit all over both lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 04:23 AM   #56
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole1186 View Post
That's what I loved about the Tesla... That instant acceleration. I actually ran a couple tests in my m340i today and the Tesla m3p when i drove it... So from 50-100mph my m340i (stock) was faster by .4 seconds. Dave from 40-100mph (3 seconds faster). Only thing the Tesla was better at was 0-60. But from a roll my bmw was quicker.

Can't wait to get into my m3... It's going to shit all over both lol.

An ICE car will have better top end than most EV's, unless you run into a plaid, then anything you're driving won't touch it. Hell there's a video of a 1000rwhp C7 ZR1 that ran a plaid off a roll and the plaid beat it.

But M3P's are very fast. 11.5 @ 117. Even model 3 dual motors with the added acceleration boost will run a 12 flat. And those are consistent numbers too.

We shouldn't fear. The future will be fun for us
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #57
M3-san
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3xD, 535xi

I don't care how fast it is, it's not an attractive car. At all. Call me shallow, but I need to be in love with the looks of a car. And I mean when you get out of the car and look back at it and say to yourself "daaaamn, that's a good looking car!" type of love. Especially when I'm dropping $100k on it.

I still don't understand why most electric cars have to look like futuristic spaceships. Only Porsche and Audi seem to have gotten the memo that this is not a requirement.
      08-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #58
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-san View Post
I don't care how fast it is, it's not an attractive car. At all. Call me shallow, but I need to be in love with the looks of a car. And I mean when you get out of the car and look back at it and say to yourself "daaaamn, that's a good looking car!" type of love. Especially when I'm dropping $100k on it.

I still don't understand why most electric cars have to look like futuristic spaceships. Only Porsche and Audi seem to have gotten the memo that this is not a requirement.

No one is forcing anyone to get into an EV now. They're basically giving us warnings that we have to, in the future.

By that time, all of your favorite car makers you know of today, will have EV platforms. Ranging from your typical econo point A to B cars. Then you have your luxury versions, then you have your performance versions. It will be more condensed than what we know of today.

Today there are so many models, endless models with various engines, transmissions, etc.

It will be much more simple in the future. There will be no more guess work. You know what you're going to get.

An econo EV, a luxury EV, or a performance EV. Everyone will be on even playing fields in terms of commute and in motorsports.

Sounds boring but again, this is where we have to go. We have no choice.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #59
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-san View Post

No one is forcing anyone to get into an EV now. They're basically giving us warnings that we have to, in the future.

By that time, all of your favorite car makers you know of today, will have EV platforms. Ranging from your typical econo point A to B cars. Then you have your luxury versions, then you have your performance versions. It will be more condensed than what we know of today.

Today there are so many models, endless models with various engines, transmissions, etc.

It will be much more simple in the future. There will be no more guess work. You know what you're going to get.

An econo EV, a luxury EV, or a performance EV. Everyone will be on even playing fields in terms of commute and in motorsports.

Sounds boring but again, this is where we have to go. We have no choice.
I was watching a program on TV featuring this shop that restored and converted sports cars to EV. It was pretty darn cool.

Had an old 80's 911 fully restored but EV. I forgot how much power and torque but it was damn cool.

I was thinking there is hope for ICE style EV "performance".

Although I'm in the manual shift camp. I'm sure they can figure a way to cut power then re-engage to give the feel of gear shifts.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #60
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
I was watching a program on TV featuring this shop that restored and converted sports cars to EV. It was pretty darn cool.

Had an old 80's 911 fully restored but EV. I forgot how much power and torque but it was damn cool.

I was thinking there is hope for ICE style EV "performance".

Although I'm in the manual shift camp. I'm sure they can figure a way to cut power then re-engage to give the feel of gear shifts.
I feel like you can "unlock" more performance in an EV car in the future. Similar to tesla's acceleration boost that you can purchase for your tesla for 2000 dollars. Although your tesla has to be the dual motor.

It will essentially increase your 0-60 time by 1/2 a second. Might sound like a waste of money but 1/2 second to 60 faster is pretty substantial when you factor in how consistent those cars can do it.

I do think there won't be that endless amount of modifications you can do to your car anymore.Those days will be over. Many speed shops would probably go out of business. A lot of your mechanic shops will close (or at least once everyone drops their older ICE car for an EV) and we'll all be living the same type of "car life".

You either have a slow EV. A basic point and shoot car. Your luxury EV. Then your supercar/hypercar type of EV.

No more modifications. No more tinkering. You just find the car you like, in terms of looks, and if you're ok with the performance, then great because that's all you're going to get lol
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:01 PM   #61
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

A friend did sell his 2001 M3 for a king's ransom and swapped into a Tesla Model 3P.

His comment was that the instant torque fun hides all other blemishes including harsh and imprecise handling.

Personally I just feel that Tesla interior is designed as self driving(e.g. Johnny cab@0:58), so it is good to get a driver's car now since those may go extinct soon.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #62
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Another nice thing about Tesla is the transparent pricing....

There is no negotiation, everybody pays the same and no Market Adjustment BS like with all other manufacturers
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #63
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:

There is no negotiation, everybody pays the same and no Market Adjustment BS like with all other manufacturers
You are more than welcome to pay MSRP. I don’t think BMW or the dealership are against that
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #64
DAlby18
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

You are more than welcome to pay MSRP. I don’t think BMW or the dealership are against that
That's not what he was saying and in a way I agree with pikcachu. I'm not bad at negotiating a price but plenty of time when discussing our purchases I feel bad telling others that we got a better deal for similar purchases and on the flip end when you hear of someone getting a better deal than you. You feel less excited about your purchases. I like the Tesla sales model this is the price and that's it take it or leave it and you don't have to deal with sleazy two faced salesmen (Sorry worked at a dealership and hated their kind). There is a lot that the auto industry can learn from Tesla but that statement holds true vice versa. I think Tesla will give the necessary boost for other manufactures to wake up a little.

I own a Model Y and dealing with Tesla has a lot of positives but they come with their fair share of bucket of problems. Mainly with QA and Elon's history of false promises.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
      08-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #65
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Quote:

You don't get it. Some dealerships will not even take MSRP you would have to pay 10k or 20k over MSRP just because there is little supply

It's just stupid that in this age you have to call 50 dealers to get a fair price.

You don't go call 50 Apple stores when you want to buy an iPhone do you ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:02 AM   #66
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are more than welcome to pay MSRP. I don't think BMW or the dealership are against that
You don't get it. Some dealerships will not even take MSRP you would have to pay 10k or 20k over MSRP just because there is little supply

It's just stupid that in this age you have to call 50 dealers to get a fair price.

You don't go call 50 Apple stores when you want to buy an iPhone do you ?
Teslas are for people who want to drive their phone….

They are hideous, poorly made, ugly golf carts that go like crazy from a dig.

When Porsche, BMW, and Audi are *fully* into the EV market, Tesla is fucked.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50