BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Suggest a snowmageddon vehicle for me

12-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
The answer is always a Miata.

But seriously, I think SUVs are highly overrated. When do you ever drive in 6 inches of snow?
Ya, coincidentally I want to get a MX-5 too.

I agree w your 2nd paragraph, still, for those 'emergency' situations, I wanna have some flexibility if I wanna go somewhere and the roads aren't plowed yet. Truth be told, my present car has been great in our winters, like many ppl said, just need a good set of winter tires.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      12-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #24
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I know MTL gets quite a bit more snow than Southern Ontario, especially on the island, but your snow clearing services are also top notch and almost military. If only your actual road works were that efficient.

I'd be more worried about other drivers at that point than getting stuck yourself.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #25
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Maybe I missed it but nobody suggested a manual STI yet. That would be fun in the snow with the right tires and some mods.

As others said, a VW R would be fun to.

Or just go crazy and find a Dodge TRX.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #26
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
As others have said, good winter tires are what help the most. Several years ago when I still had my WRX, I got caught in a storm after a day of snowboarding that quickly dumped a few inches of snow on I-70 and I learned how capable my winter tires really were. Heading up in elevation towards the Eisenhower Tunnel, there was probably at least 6" on the road up there, and none of it had been plowed yet due to how quick the storm rolled in. Numerous semi-trucks were stuck because they hadn't put on chains yet, and there were all sorts of 4WD SUVs and trucks struggling to make it up the hill as well (most likely due to inadequate tires). Seeing the looks on peoples' faces as my low slung AWD car made it up the hill in deep snow without any issue was priceless.

Back on topic, how about a 2-door Jeep Wrangler? It's relatively compact lengthwise, is incredibly capable, and as a bonus, it can be a convertible in the warmer months.
      12-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
As others have said, good winter tires are what help the most. Several years ago when I still had my WRX, I got caught in a storm after a day of snowboarding that quickly dumped a few inches of snow on I-70 and I learned how capable my winter tires really were. Heading up in elevation towards the Eisenhower Tunnel, there was probably at least 6" on the road up there, and none of it had been plowed yet due to how quick the storm rolled in. Numerous semi-trucks were stuck because they hadn't put on chains yet, and there were all sorts of 4WD SUVs and trucks struggling to make it up the hill as well (most likely due to inadequate tires). Seeing the looks on peoples' faces as my low slung AWD car made it up the hill in deep snow without any issue was priceless.

Back on topic, how about a 2-door Jeep Wrangler? It's relatively compact lengthwise, is incredibly capable, and as a bonus, it can be a convertible in the warmer months.
Nice, ya, Subbies are on my radar for sure. Wranglers are cool too, can't imagine getting stuck in one of those no matter what crazy snowstorm comes.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #28
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Wranglers are really not great in the winter. ESP the short wheel base ones.

Don’t get me wrong, you are unlikely to get stuck in it. But the vehicle dynamics are pretty terrible at speed. I used to have one.

I always said, I’m not saying my wrangler won’t hit the ditch, but that it would be able to get out again after haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
Wranglers are really not great in the winter. ESP the short wheel base ones.

Don’t get me wrong, you are unlikely to get stuck in it. But the vehicle dynamics are pretty terrible at speed. I used to have one.

I always said, I’m not saying my wrangler won’t hit the ditch, but that it would be able to get out again after haha.
At speed? Haha, I'm not doing anything at speed in winter.

Not you but I'm always amazed at many ppl driving beyond the conditions and their capabilities. See it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #30
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Maybe I missed it but nobody suggested a manual STI yet.
My previous STi with winter tires was the best/ most fun car I've ever driven in snow.
The traction and control and predictability are some of the best reasons to have one. The ability to slide on a whim, always kept a smile on my face.
minn1914021.00
Tacoma944.50
      12-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #31
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubbs View Post
My previous STi with winter tires was the best/ most fun car I've ever driven in snow.
The traction and control and predictability are some of the best reasons to have one. The ability to slide on a whim, always kept a smile on my face.
LOVED my STi in the snow/ice, even with all-season tires. I can't imagine how good it'd grip with real Winter tires.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
mikado463468.00
Tacoma944.50
Germanauto9701.00
      12-16-2021, 06:59 PM   #32
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
At speed? Haha, I'm not doing anything at speed in winter.

Not you but I'm always amazed at many ppl driving beyond the conditions and their capabilities. See it all the time.
I mean beyond crawling speeds lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #33
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I mean beyond crawling speeds lol.
It's that bad really??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #34
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
its brick shaped, without a real roof, live axles, suspended several feet off the ground.

It's a vehicle with many drawbacks in order to be really exceptional at low speeds off road.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
its brick shaped, without a real roof, live axles, suspended several feet off the ground.

It's a vehicle with many drawbacks in order to be really exceptional at low speeds off road.
Well, if you put it that way

...and...I'm out haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #36
SpringheelJack
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i

https://www.jeep.ca/en/wrangler/2021
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #37
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Why new? Dedicated for rough conditions, I think I'd rather have my money on something older that wouldn't make you cry once it's covered in salt and dings.

All said, used Toyotas are great. A very nice 100 series Land Cruiser could be had for half your money.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #38
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Why new? Dedicated for rough conditions, I think I'd rather have my money on something older that wouldn't make you cry once it's covered in salt and dings.

All said, used Toyotas are great. A very nice 100 series Land Cruiser could be had for half your money.
I only buy new as I like being the first owner.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      12-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #39
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:

Plus; it's better to be in a safe car.
Wranglers and old Toyotas are never a good idea. Any body on frame SUV will not be good.

Also came back to reinforce the need for good winter tires. Cars are all the same, tires are different.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #40
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Hey, your money, your rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Wranglers and old Toyotas are never a good idea. Any body on frame SUV will not be good.

Also came back to reinforce the need for good winter tires. Cars are all the same, tires are different.
LOL @ old Toyotas not being a good idea. We’re taking “snowmageddon.” I couldn’t think of a better fit than a Land Cruiser. 25 year life cycle that’s built for the ends of the earth and used widely for things well more dangerous than a snow storm. Beast mode.

To each their own.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #41
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, your money, your rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post

LOL @ old Toyotas not being a good idea. We’re taking “snowmageddon.” I couldn’t think of a better fit than a Land Cruiser. 25 year life cycle that’s built for the ends of the earth and used widely for things well more dangerous than a snow storm. Beast mode.

To each their own.
I don't drive cars that have a rollover warning. Nor do I put my family in one.

But, like you said, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 09:04 PM   #42
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
I always worry with adding AWD and SUVs that you're trading the ability to get through deep snow with good snow stopping distance due to added weight vs a lighter car. Am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #43
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I always worry with adding AWD and SUVs that you're trading the ability to get through deep snow with good snow stopping distance due to added weight vs a lighter car. Am I wrong?
You are, in a way.
First, weight doesn't mean much in terms of stopping distance. Otherwise lighter cars would always be the ones that stop in the shortest distance. And that's not true, because what matters for stopping (and getting going) is traction.

Traction is a factor of compound and pressure on the road, but with other things being equal, more weight on the same contact patch equals more pressure down and therefore more traction.

That is one of the reasons why winter tires are often narrower than summer tires. In a warm, dry pavement, the wider and flatter the contact patch, the more traction.
On ice and snow, the narrower the more pressure you get to get the friction needed. There's a compromise there because you're not always on ice, and a narrow tire at high speed on a dry highway is sketchy.

Even with winter tires you're always making a compromising choice.

E.g. I use Hakkapeliita R3 tires, 205/50 17". My summer tires are 255/30 19"
Great in the snow and ice. Speed limited to 170 (which is super easy to reach and surpass), and very sketchy on the highway when dry.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 11:23 PM   #44
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dubbs View Post
LOVED my STi in the snow/ice, even with all-season tires. I can't imagine how good it'd grip with real Winter tires.
I've been testing out Continental Viking Contacts for the last two winters. With the exception of ground clearance I have very few problems getting around.

I should add that the difference between all seasons like Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 and true winter/ice tires is night and day. I'll never make the mistake of trying to run an all season in deep snow or severe cold if I have an option.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
________4158.50
VisualEcho6633.50