BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum User Error?? Having trouble with car turning off. Its different often

08-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
Lindsaykoehler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

User Error?? Having trouble with car turning off. Its different often

So I am going to try and keep this easy by using examples below.
I am a female driver who had a Mercedes GL 63 for years so I am new to BMW. BUT I consider myself pretty tech savvy...have also gone thru Genius training etc.

First, I live behind a gate in a safe location, I leave my digital key in my purse and my purse in the car (I have not gotten my purse out of my car, at my house, in over 10 years so I prefer not to make it a new habit...I leave my house too often over the course of a day). I have read and reread the manual on the start/stop button and I'm just not getting it.

My car does 3 different things when I get out of it. Sometimes it turns off when i open the door ( like to walk to mailbox) and (yes "turn off when door open option" is OFF.) Sometimes I open my door and it does not turn off. Sometimes I open my door while it is still in Drive, foot is on break pedal (this is a habit mainly because in my Mercedes when I opened my door it put the car in park) it stops the car, Again when I drive to the end of my drive way to get out to get the mail. Sometimes I pull into my garage, hit Park, Hit start/Stop once, get out and go inside and come back to find my headlights on and radio going. Went to Target today--got out with my purse and my key in my purse....... came back hour later opened the trunk and radio was still playing. I just can't seem to figure out what I am doing to get all these different outcomes when getting out of my car???

Second question- Door locks: WHY WHY will all the doors not unlock when I pull into my garage and get out of my car. I get out, walk to trunk to unload groceries and have to go back to front to unlock doors. Or I forgot something in my car and go out to garage to passenger side and doors are locked. I saw the advice to "turn off lock doors when driving" but does that mean that if someone tried to open the door while driving they could?? This becomes issue at car wash trying t vacuum car.....i vacuum drivers side and go to open backseat doors and they are locked. UGHHH

Thanks for all feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

What I do after I get out of the car in my garage is to touch one of the other three door handles which then unlocks all the doors. I have habituated myself to do this. But, of course, I have my key fob in my pocket. I don't know if that will work if the fob is in the car.

I am driving a 5 series, not an X7 but are you stepping on the brake when you depress the start/stop button to turn off the car? In my car, you have to do that.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 08-24-2019 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Press the "Stop" button twice (with foot off brake). Twice is necessary becuause of the Auto Stop Start logic.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
Lindsaykoehler
United_States
Rep

It could be the break pedal... not sure I pay attention to if my foot is on it when I hit start/stop. I know it is when I hit park but it might come off after I hit park but have not turned car off... that's seems odd that your foot has to be on the break to turn off your car?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
Prabuzz
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Press the "Stop" button twice (with foot off brake). Twice is necessary becuause of the Auto Stop Start logic.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaykoehler View Post
It could be the break pedal... not sure I pay attention to if my foot is on it when I hit start/stop. I know it is when I hit park but it might come off after I hit park but have not turned car off... that's seems odd that your foot has to be on the break to turn off your car?
If you leave your foot ON the brake pedal, the car will restart on the second push. The first push turns off the ENGINE. The second push (foot off brake) turns off the CAR'S COMPUTER and systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
In the idrive you can set the locking sequence so that everything is either locked or unlocked. The default factory setting is that the driver door only will unlock. You then have to hit the unlock on the key twice to unlock everything.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Stop car, foot still on brake, hit button to put car in park. Release brake, hit button again to turn ignition off. If your car doesn't do that every time, there is something wrong.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 03:31 AM   #9
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I set my car to unlock all door when the driver door handle is touched. However, once put in park, it will not automatically unlock all doors like every other manufacturer out there. The only other option is to disable automatic lock. Otherwise I have to double pull on the door handle to get out.

There is no setting in iDrive to enable this feature. I believe my X1 F48 will unlock all doors in park but not the 430i F46.

I know this is a "safety feature" but come on!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
Lindsaykoehler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I set my car to unlock all door when the driver door handle is touched. However, once put in park, it will not automatically unlock all doors like every other manufacturer out there. The only other option is to disable automatic lock. Otherwise I have to double pull on the door handle to get out.

There is no setting in iDrive to enable this feature. I believe my X1 F48 will unlock all doors in park but not the 430i F46.

I know this is a "safety feature" but come on!
Yes this! Seems like something that needs updated or changed. Backwards to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

I thought it was crazy too. I had a Jeep for the longest time and it would unlock the doors automatically. Unfortunately you have to turn off auto door lock or start a new habit. I started a new habit and it's been working for me just fine. It's likes when the iPhone first came out. No one new what pinch and zoom was. Now all we do is pinch and zoom!
Appreciate 0