E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > is it September yet ?

08-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #89
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
I don't have a reg yet or chassis number

Just 2nd week Sept for delivery
believe it or not - I have never traded a car in before. Is it in order for me to keep my tax disc so I can get a refund?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #90
isleaiw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE, silver with black lea

I presume they asked details of trade in when you did the deal - including when it was taxed till - so the answer is that you can't as they expect car to have tax on to be driven to trade in so its an expected term of contract. However, you could try it on and see how quickly they notice - although it may not help you if you need any warranty work doing!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #91
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

I ALWAYS make a point ok keeping the tax, as the dealers just cash it in anyway.

Furthermore, I was not consulted about the tax on my car at valuation time, so they will defo not be having it.

As mentioned, you hold onto it unless it was noted down as part of your part-ex consideration.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 07:16 AM   #92
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thumbs up

Update !

Need for Speed: 9 days & counting

myself: 2 to 3 weeks & counting

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #93
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Update !

Need for Speed: 9 days & counting

myself: 2 to 3 weeks & counting

In fact just 8 days, 20 hours, 26 mins and 46 secs.

Fortunately, 3 of those days are the bank holiday weekend and 1 is a race day (including a 350z).

I'm taking the 1st Sept off work as well so I can have (another) nice long weekend with the e90. Hopefully I'll have it broken in by Monday 4th Sept

Tax wasn't mentioned when we agreed the trade in price - so I am just going to take it out and mention it to them on the day.

It will be sold off their forecourt and I know for a fact they won't sell it with remaining tax, because there was none when I bought it.

I don't know about you, but I am not really enjoying my e60 right now. Sad cause it is a lovely car, but I just want the next one.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #94
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
In fact just 8 days, 20 hours, 26 mins and 46 secs.

Fortunately, 3 of those days are the bank holiday weekend and 1 is a race day (including a 350z).

I'm taking the 1st Sept off work as well so I can have (another) nice long weekend with the e90. Hopefully I'll have it broken in by Monday 4th Sept

Tax wasn't mentioned when we agreed the trade in price - so I am just going to take it out and mention it to them on the day.
It will be sold off their forecourt and I know for a fact they won't sell it with remaining tax, because there was none when I bought it.

I don't know about you, but I am not really enjoying my e60 right now. Sad cause it is a lovely car, but I just want the next one.

We're kind of in the same boat then as I got a weeks holiday next week and have lots of things planned (days out etc) so next week will pass good n quick.

As for your Tax .. don't even mention it to them unless they mention it. Just take it out when you park the car up and keep hold of it. PLUS, you have to pay for tax in your new car !! so they can't have it both ways.

Whether they are keeping the car to sell or trade it on, they would just "cash in" the remaining tax and treat it as a little bonus on the deal.

As for my car now ... yeah I have too lost complete interest. Washing it is a chore instead of a pleasure and I just wanna move onto the the 330i. Which also as you say is a shame, as we both have "very" nice cars. But i don't think it matters what you have, when you're ready to move on be it a house, car or whatever, it may have been your pride and joy at the time, but once you know its going, all interest is gone.

As for your Palmer sport day, enjoy it mate. Will that be your 2nd time then ? I may be doing this year in Oct / Nov. You being taken as a guest or have you arranged it. Give that 350 some thrash, but give those Clio's and Palmer Jags the most thrash. If I go this year, i'll be interested to try out the Porsche's which are new for this year. The 350's replaced VX220's last year.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #95
timking85
Chief
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 525d SE

Garage List
I have 33 days to go for my 325d
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #96
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timking85
Nice choice

You must be getting one of the first in the country. I'll be very interested to see what you think of it as it's about top of my list for E46 replacements at the moment.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #97
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timking85

Join the thread then mate
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #98
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As for your Palmer sport day, enjoy it mate. Will that be your 2nd time then ? I may be doing this year in Oct / Nov. You being taken as a guest or have you arranged it. Give that 350 some thrash, but give those Clio's and Palmer Jags the most thrash. If I go this year, i'll be interested to try out the Porsche's which are new for this year. The 350's replaced VX220's last year.
This is the second time (I went about a month ago) each time as a corporate guest (which is nice).

I take it you've been before - lets swap stories

It is an amazing day - I could have driven the JP1 (jag) and the FPA (single seater) all day long - those things were stunning.

The porsches are interesting (and I actually got my best position in these - the only thing I did well on). You really have to be smooth and follow a slow in fast out line - or they will spin.

I'm looking forward to having another go in the clio as well.

Just hope it's dry so that I can try to improve on last time. If it's wet it will be fun, but difficult to compare.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 03:13 AM   #99
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Niiiiice !

I have been twice before myself.

The 1st time i did really well, especially in the Clio's and came 2nd overall in the day of around 90 or so people from the print out they give you ... I was really being egged on by the instructor though and gave the Clio some serious hammer.

On my second visit to Palmer Sport, I lost the plot though .. and you need to be careful not to do this.

You get confident from the 1st time and I reckon you listen less to the instructors and try "too hard" to get a fast time ... too much trying.

Also, the instructors I found made a MASSIVE differnce. Get one who encourages you and you do really well, but get the odd one who hardly says anything or is having a bad day and this reflects in your performance / time.

Try listening to other participants as they get out of the cars having been out with an instructor and go for the one's who are raving .. chances are, they've been with a top instructor .. don't just dart for the 1st car you see !

Tips of the trade indeed eh

But most importantly don't be over confident like i was .. i missed the racing lines, locked up the brakes, braked too late, went off onto the grass

Next time round I will be hungry for some good times again.

Hopefully, I will do reasonably well in the 350's.

The caterhams I found most difficult .. i'm sure the tyres on those things are extra slippery.

Gear change on the single seaters I found tricky .. & on one lap I left it in 3rd all the way round and got a decent time doing that !

Fantastic day though.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 03:43 AM   #100
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Niiiiice !

I have been twice before myself.

The 1st time i did really well, especially in the Clio's and came 2nd overall in the day of around 90 or so people from the print out they give you ... I was really being egged on by the instructor though and gave the Clio some serious hammer.

On my second visit to Palmer Sport, I lost the plot though .. and you need to be careful not to do this.

You get confident from the 1st time and I reckon you listen less to the instructors and try "too hard" to get a fast time ... too much trying.

Also, the instructors I found made a MASSIVE differnce. Get one who encourages you and you do really well, but get the odd one who hardly says anything or is having a bad day and this reflects in your performance / time.

Try listening to other participants as they get out of the cars having been out with an instructor and go for the one's who are raving .. chances are, they've been with a top instructor .. don't just dart for the 1st car you see !

Tips of the trade indeed eh

But most importantly don't be over confident like i was .. i missed the racing lines, locked up the brakes, braked too late, went off onto the grass

Next time round I will be hungry for some good times again.

Hopefully, I will do reasonably well in the 350's.

The caterhams I found most difficult .. i'm sure the tyres on those things are extra slippery.

Gear change on the single seaters I found tricky .. & on one lap I left it in 3rd all the way round and got a decent time doing that !

Fantastic day though.
I'll write about the palmersport day later (about to go to a meeting now), but I just wanted to say ........

In EXACTLY 7 days I shall be picking up my 330i.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 03:52 AM   #101
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i Sport

Pictures will of course be mandatory!!:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 04:06 AM   #102
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
I just wanted to say ........

In EXACTLY 7 days I shall be picking up my 330i.

you lucky so and so

Oh well, not much longer for me to wait either !

M SPORT 330i heaven here we come
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #103
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Actually, you posted @ 9.43am and your pick up time is 10am you said

BUT ... exactly 7 days from now, you should have had hold of the keys for 20 mins ... and will be excitedly hurrying along the dealer to let you loose with the mott and get all the paperwork etc completed

ps: make sure you check the car over thoroughly before driving off, particularly the alloys.

I once made a mistake (a few years ago) not checking the car and found a terrible gouge in one of the alloys which had clearly been done at the dealers but that time I had to live with it.

Its just that you get caught up in the excitement of the moment and just wanna drive off ... undersatndibly so, but yeah DO check the car over
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 04:21 AM   #104
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Go on, as if he's not going to turn up a few minutes early!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 05:23 AM   #105
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you posted @ 9.43am and your pick up time is 10am you said

BUT ... exactly 7 days from now, you should have had hold of the keys for 20 mins ... and will be excitedly hurrying along the dealer to let you loose with the mott and get all the paperwork etc completed

ps: make sure you check the car over thoroughly before driving off, particularly the alloys.

I once made a mistake (a few years ago) not checking the car and found a terrible gouge in one of the alloys which had clearly been done at the dealers but that time I had to live with it.

Its just that you get caught up in the excitement of the moment and just wanna drive off ... undersatndibly so, but yeah DO check the car over
Well I shall probably turn up early (ish) and have a cappucino whilst I sign the finance forms. They then owe me £500 (excess deposit) and I owe them about the same for the tracker.

Anyway ... Palmersport .....

It's just a REALLY great day. I think a lot depends on the order of events, which was actually pretty good for my group, but does vary....

1st - Caterham head to head challenge. I think this is new and was basically a couple of little skidpan circuits with donuts - head to head - best of 3.

I won all 3 - but this event isn't scored shame....

2nd - Nissan Pathfinder 4 x4 tennis ball hitting thing - bit dull - I thought I did everything right, but I obviously didn't hit the tennis balls 'properly' cause I came about half way down the group.

3rd - JP1 (West Circuit - used to be the South) - now we are talking! I had never driven anything like this and loved it. First couple of laps were poor because frankly I was a bit scared to floor it down the fast part of the West Circuit. I started getting it near the end and improved my lap time by about 10 secs. Could have done with more practice really - finished in the top 3rd.

4th - karts - waste of time after the jags - span mine and ended up near the bottom (only a couple of laps so no time to get to grips with it)

5th - Formula Palmer Audi (West Circuit) - (I want one of these) - Highlight of the day for me. Unfortunately, I got separated from my group because I'm 6ft 2 and they had run out of 'larger' cars. So I ended up on the circuit with some slightly dodgy drivers. Had some fun overtaking, but they did slow me down a touch. The fastest lap on the day was about 1.20 secs I didn't get ANYWHERE near that - but I had a lot of fun.

I overtook one of the slowcoaches I was on with, but then we were flagged back to the pits and the eejit overtook me on the way into the pit lane. So then I had to overtake them (again) on the entry to the long straight.

No problem with the gearchange (other than the downshifts crunch the gears a bit if you (like me) don't rev match). I only really used 2nd and 3rd (2nd was essentially to get the punch out of the slower corners for overtaking. Ambition for the return visit is to get into 4th on the long fast section of the circuit.

400bhp per tonne (100 bhp / tonne less than a 'proper' FPA car), cornering forces of 2g, 0-60 in 3.4 secs, 60-0 in 1.6 secs.

What an amazing car.

Lunch (very nice)

6th - Caterhams (East Circuit) - These little buggars are brutal - a real handful. I span at least 5 times, but somehow managed to put in a couple of quickish laps and got into the top 3rd. Interestingly one of the guys owned a caterham and did pretty poorly - I guess due to overconfidence.

7th - 350z (North Circuit) - This was my downfall. What you said about the instructors in absolutely true, the guy I had just didn't make sense to me and was trying to get me to drift. Frankly after all the spinning in the caterhams I was feeling a bit knackered (and bruised) so I just wasn't in the mood. The guy didn't help me to understand the racing line, so I did badly (almost at the bottom of the scoresheet). Interestingly the 350z and the pathfinders are donated by Nissan as an advertising tie in.

8th - Mental Clio Cup (North Circuit) - Much better, new instructor helped me to see the line (same circuit and suddenly clear!). The clios are council estate nutter cars - love it. Drive it like you stole it - I was told - so I tried to do just that. Got a time in the top 3rd again.

9th - Porsche JP3 (South Circuit) - Tricky to drive after the rampant clio's - much more mental work to get the line and brake points right and stop the back end overtaking the front. Did all right here as well and got the fastest time out of my little group.

Overall - not a great position - (slightly below halfway) - mainly dragged down by my seriously crappy karting, 350z and 4x4 efforts.

Best not to get hung up on that though (different story if I had won obviously).

I've been playing Toca Race driver on my PC - and it has the 4 circuits - so I really feel I know them better now. I just want to go out and have fun - and get that feeling of snicking through the gears in a fast car that is so lacking now in my auto. Ready for getting my highly tuned manual 3.0 litre BMW with sports suspension .

One interesting thing (if you have been there) is that EVO mag test on the West circuit. They have a list of top times and the Porsche Carrera GT is one of the fastest - BUT - I went round in the Jag in a similar time. Just gives an insight into how fast the proper race set-up palmer cars are - and just how fast these supercars might feel on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #106
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i Sport

That sounds great.

But what about those photos?!
      08-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #107
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow that was an incredible write up NFS very thorough !

You were clearly as struck on the day as I was

Best of luck with next visit & see if you can finish TOP in any car ... that would be sooo cool to walk away with a 1st prize plaque

Wow this time next week, you'll have had your pup for the day & she'll probably now be tucked up in your garage or wherever you keep your cars.

We have an integral garage with access from the house, so there's always the opportunity to pop in and view the car, even at night ... infact 24 hours a day

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #108
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow that was an incredible write up NFS very thorough !

You were clearly as struck on the day as I was

Best of luck with next visit & see if you can finish TOP in any car ... that would be sooo cool to walk away with a 1st prize plaque

Wow this time next week, you'll have had your pup for the day & she'll probably now be tucked up in your garage or wherever you keep your cars.

We have an integral garage with access from the house, so there's always the opportunity to pop in and view the car, even at night ... infact 24 hours a day

I think TOP might be out of the question - some of the guys I will be going with have been there 5 or 6 times !

My main ambition for the whole day is to do better than last time and in particular to get the FPA into 4th at least once (hopefully twice) on each lap (it does have a 5th gear but that's about 140mph and the 'top' speed on the west circuit is 120mph - even in the FPA.

And yep - this time next week I shall be tucking my new e90 in for the night.

It'll be on the drive though - the garage is full of odds and sodds (including a 275/30/19 tyre off the e60 - so it won't make it in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2006, 03:39 AM   #109
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

3 days to go ....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2006, 06:21 AM   #110
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Just a quick one ...

Good luck tomorrow mate & hope its not raining for you !

Try and take / post some pictures for us all
Appreciate 0