BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum What is your best method for washing your X7?

10-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
puckstopperaz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

What is your best method for washing your X7?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I purchased a 2020 40i M Sport with Carbon Black 2 months ago, have only hand washed in my driveway and it's already showing many fine scratches. I just had it ceramic coated and want to keep the mirror-like finish. Thx very much for your guidance!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

I have a two month old 40i in Tanzanite and washed it only with one bucket with Meguiar's Hyper Shampoo, clay towel, and Ceramic Hybrid Wax. Key is that I use a leaf blower to dry the car. Been doing this for 6 years on a VW GTI, no swirls or scratches till this day. Fine scratches are easy to remove with a decent polisher and polish compound. Would like to share some pics to include a 2006 E90..
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have been more hands on with washing my cars (due to COVID) since I got my X7. The leaf blower is not all it is cracked up to be IMO. However, it can be effective as long as your car has a "healthy" protective coating on it (ceramic, wax, etc). As long as the coating on your car still has good hydrophobic properties (i.e. water beading/sheeting), the blower is effective. But as the coating wears off, the blower becomes less effective - this has been my experience. I plan to invest in one or two "super soaker" type drying towels to help with drying in the future while using the blower to focus on cracks/crevices that hide water.

Other tools of the trade for me include a Sun Joe electric pressure washer, PFM 22.2 foam canon, IK Pro 2 foam sprayer for wheel cleaner (Auto Fanatic wheel cleaner) and multiple microfiber wash mits and towels. I have not found a really good soap yet. For now I am using CG Honeydew Snowfoam which is good enough until I run out and try something else.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
CruiseControl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 40iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I have been more hands on with washing my cars (due to COVID) since I got my X7. The leaf blower is not all it is cracked up to be IMO. However, it can be effective as long as your car has a "healthy" protective coating on it (ceramic, wax, etc). As long as the coating on your car still has good hydrophobic properties (i.e. water beading/sheeting), the blower is effective. But as the coating wears off, the blower becomes less effective - this has been my experience. I plan to invest in one or two "super soaker" type drying towels to help with drying in the future while using the blower to focus on cracks/crevices that hide water.

Other tools of the trade for me include a Sun Joe electric pressure washer, PFM 22.2 foam canon, IK Pro 2 foam sprayer for wheel cleaner (Auto Fanatic wheel cleaner) and multiple microfiber wash mits and towels. I have not found a really good soap yet. For now I am using CG Honeydew Snowfoam which is good enough until I run out and try something else.
Maybe its me but none of wheels cleaners are as effective as a good soap cleaning. I've tried many wheel cleaners and they all perform about the same. If I rinse the wheel with water to remove lose brake dust, which the wheel cleaner typically does, then I simply wash the wheel with soap and water with a bendable brush, they come out great.

I have carbon black as well. I don't have a protective coating. I made the decision not to do it since I'm leasing. I have found using a pressure washer and a foam gun to be very effective. When I dry the vehicle I use a good microfiber towel and do not apply pressure when drying, allowing the towel to absorb the water. It's a little time-consuming but it works. I too tried a blower but did not find it to be effective.

What is the best method to remove light scratches? Yesterday I found a couple of scratches on my rear passenger door where my daughter gets in. 🧐
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
puckstopperaz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Thanks for the tips. I just picked up chemical brothers car wash soap for ceramic. We'll see how that works along with the two bucket method.
Appreciate 0