BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Recent Extended Warranty and Tire protection Plan Pricing/Question

12-30-2023, 04:46 AM   #1
Archie007
Private
Rep
Drives: None yet

Recent Extended Warranty and Tire protection Plan Pricing/Question

Going to the dealer today to negotiate (first time). I don't have anything to trade in. My plan is to finance through BMWFs and then refi with credit union immediately(assuming there's no penalty, which seems the be the case from other posts)

The only other leverage tools I'm sure will come up will be the warranty packages. Was hoping to get a sense of what a competitive/recent market rates are on those packages so I have a general sense once they offer pricing. (Also generally speaking, can these be cancelled

For background this is a 21 CPO M50i that still has a 10 months left on the factory warranty+1 year CPO extension. (30k miles).

If possible, I'd also just love up confirm my understanding and clear up some final lingering questions.

Is there any cancellation policy on the packages purchased through BMW?

When is the best time to add extended warranty? Is this something I should be looking to add now assuming I purchase the car or wait until the CPO period is almost over?

My understanding is you can shop around at any dealership for extended warranty plans but still take the car to a BMW dealer of your choice to get it fixed? Is that correct? (I saw another thread where someone mentioned they purchased a warranty plan through a local Ford dealer for their BMW, wasn't sure how that worked)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie007 View Post
Going to the dealer today to negotiate (first time). I don't have anything to trade in. My plan is to finance through BMWFs and then refi with credit union immediately(assuming there's no penalty, which seems the be the case from other posts)

The only other leverage tools I'm sure will come up will be the warranty packages. Was hoping to get a sense of what a competitive/recent market rates are on those packages so I have a general sense once they offer pricing. (Also generally speaking, can these be cancelled

For background this is a 21 CPO M50i that still has a 10 months left on the factory warranty+1 year CPO extension. (30k miles).

If possible, I'd also just love up confirm my understanding and clear up some final lingering questions.

Is there any cancellation policy on the packages purchased through BMW?

When is the best time to add extended warranty? Is this something I should be looking to add now assuming I purchase the car or wait until the CPO period is almost over?

My understanding is you can shop around at any dealership for extended warranty plans but still take the car to a BMW dealer of your choice to get it fixed? Is that correct? (I saw another thread where someone mentioned they purchased a warranty plan through a local Ford dealer for their BMW, wasn't sure how that worked)
cancellation policy- that will vary depending on the warranty provider, bmw dealers can sell bmw backed warranties and third party warranties, you need to make sure of the terms before you sign up. just because its sold by a bmw dealer doesnt mean its a bmw extended warranty.
typically third party warranties you need to get repair authorization before work is done and the warranty company will pay the dealer. this is where it gets dicey and you need to research the terms of the warranty as to exclusions and what they will cover in terms of labor rates.
the bmw extended warranties are safest in that regard, you just bring it in, pay the deductible.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
Archie007
Private
Rep

Perfect thank you.

Is this something where I should've already called around to price out warranties at different dealerships to be able negotiate before going in?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:47 AM   #4
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Perfect thank you.

Is this something where I should've already called around to price out warranties at different dealerships to be able negotiate before going in?
Those of us with newer cars within warranty can shop for extended warranties on our own (especially at lucrative prices offered by bimmerpost members that are dealers).

I don't think you can really shop the extended warranty for that CPO car other than the offering dealer. The other alternative is to have someone else CPO the car and just pay the dealer for car only (who will no doubt jack up the price!).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 09:51 AM   #5
Archie007
Private
Rep

Oh interesting. I thought you could only extend the CPO warranty if it was still under the original manufacturer warranty. I might have mixed things up.

So my options today would be by through this specific dealership or just get a third party warranty down the line
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #6
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Oh interesting. I thought you could only extend the CPO warranty if it was still under the original manufacturer warranty. I might have mixed things up.

So my options today would be by through this specific dealership or just get a third party warranty down the line
Before you talk to your dealer, contact this Bimmerpost member below who will tell you your options much better than I can! He's going to be less biased than your dealer since he only wants to sell you a policy and not a car!

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1670964

Make sure to go to the last post so you have the most recent info!
Appreciate 0