BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Acceleration/Braking concerns?

02-07-2024, 05:36 PM   #1
CT-BMW7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Acceleration/Braking concerns?

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2021 X7 after 2 months of research/cross-referencing on multiple sites (JD Power, Car& Driver) given its reliability, size, handling, and comfort.

Mostly I am really pleased, but I am worried on 2 points, and thus hoping I didn't drop 50k for nothing:

1) Brakes - They seem to be very sensitive/responsive? That's a nice thing for safety, but can be a jerky ride.

Do I just need to get used to this, or is this a known issue?

2) Acceleration - Particularly at low speeds (<30) it feels like the X7 drops off precipitously in acceleration unless you are actively giving it a push on the gas.

In my prior vehicle (Nissan Rogue) of course you need to push on the accelerator to get going, but it doesn't seem to drop off or drag as much

Is this just the result of being a large SUV, am I doing something wrong, or is this a concern?

Any other thoughts or opinions on this? Do I just need to get used to the car, or is something amiss?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:47 PM   #2
Brendon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Garage List
Do you have the m-sport brakes? Those are widely regarded as being a bit grabby and hard to modulate. Initial bite is strong, but takes some getting used to.

Regarding acceleration, what driving mode are you in? Setting your engine and transmission to sport will likely make a decent difference. Using BimmerLink to reset your engine and engine adapations could also be useful.
      02-07-2024, 07:24 PM   #3
CT-BMW7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Hey Brendon,

I don't, I have the default 40i, but I think they may just be solid brakes!

I am in 'sport individual' I believe, but I will tinker with this and see if this helps.

Thanks.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:07 PM   #4
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-BMW7 View Post
Hey Brendon,

I don't, I have the default 40i, but I think they may just be solid brakes!

I am in 'sport individual' I believe, but I will tinker with this and see if this helps.

Thanks.

Steve
Do you have the M Sport package? If yes, those come with sport brakes even on the 40i.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 08:58 PM   #5
ledphut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Garage List
2022 Alpina CB7  [3.50]
Part of what you may be experiencing with the throttle response is a characteristic of turbocharged engines. There’s always a second or so (depending on your rpms) of lag from when you depress the pedal to when the boost kicks in.
Appreciate 1
alic9613.50