Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2021 M340 ticking/cracking noise from sunroof

06-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #23
N2570
Australia
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
My 2020 M340i had a clicking sunroof but it’s been sorted under warranty as BMW have issued a Service Bulletin about it (the fix involves repacking the rails with special heavy duty grease).
Same for mine this week. However the Dealer didn't have the 'special grease' so its on order and we try when it arrives into stock!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #24
N2570
Australia
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALotOfKirbys View Post
It does that when the sunroof is closed. It's so annoying when on the road.

I even went to take a video of it for the dealer this morning.

Any better when its tilted? Mine improves when tilted, but not 100%
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:06 PM   #25
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

I have this problem on my 2021 m340i. Creaking specifically. Happens only in the closed position with shade open or shut.

In my case, it appears to be the entire seating of the moonroof that is an issue. Any light pressure upward on the back of the moonroof can recreate the creaking which indicates to me the moonroof isn’t seated or being held in place properly in the closed position. Seems to be the reason why it creaks with driving and any flexing of the chassis for bumps of g force. The glass seem to be held in place strong enough and it rubs.

Video:

Last edited by Enigma735; 12-11-2021 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 04:38 AM   #26
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

As reported in other posts BMW have introduced a service kit with lube and I believe some redesigned rollers - installed on my G20 a couple of months back and all is quiet now….
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #27
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb3473 View Post
I had the same issue in my 330e - drove me nuts, Did everything with the sunroof and the centre dome light. Eventually found that it was the headliner clicking. It was coming from around the passenger sun shade area where it is fixed / swivels. After much experimenting I pushed foam up into that area from the where the headliner meets with windscreen and pushed it hard up again the sunroof surround from inside, with a wooden spoon!
Since then the problem has gone, and I had tried everything prior to that!
Thanks, in having similar issues which is driving me nuts. Do you have pictures of what you did?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #28
Semtex93
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
I had the same issue in my 330e - drove me nuts, Did everything with the sunroof and the centre dome light. Eventually found that it was the headliner clicking. It was coming from around the passenger sun shade area where it is fixed / swivels. After much experimenting I pushed foam up into that area from the where the headliner meets with windscreen and pushed it hard up again the sunroof surround from inside, with a wooden spoon!
daveb3473
Could you please tell how to do it? Maybe you have some photos? Which kind of foam you used? Did I understand well that foam was inserted also from the side of sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #29
corbinwilliams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC, 650i GC, i7 xDrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma735 View Post
I have this problem on my 2021 m340i. Creaking specifically. Happens only in the closed position with shade open or shut.

In my case, it appears to be the entire seating of the moonroof that is an issue. Any light pressure upward on the back of the moonroof can recreate the creaking which indicates to me the moonroof isn’t seated or being held in place properly in the closed position. Seems to be the reason why it creaks with driving and any flexing of the chassis for bumps of g force. The glass seem to be held in place strong enough and it rubs.

Video:

Has your problem been solved? I’ve experienced this same creaking issue on 3 G20’s so far. 2 were 2019 and the current is a 2020. They’ve all done it since they were new. Just like your issue mine creaks anytime there is some type of body flexing like sharp turns or pulling into driveways.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:54 PM   #30
D0NVT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d

Hey guys!
I found the same problem in my 2019 330d.
It makes awful clicking noise even on almost perfect pawement with no cracks or holes.
But when I press the headliner over passengers side noise goes away.
As my my car is out of warranty I already bought special grease similar to RFH grease (P/N 83 19 2 157 321) but did not applied it yet.
Did anybody fixed this by themselves?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:55 PM   #31
D0NVT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
It does that when the sunroof is closed. It's so annoying when on the road.

I even went to take a video of it for the dealer this morning.

The same noise ticking/clicking all the time. It makes me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:54 PM   #32
Jan
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Hello!

You should use this to lube seals of the sunroof. It is amazing and doesn’t go off easy:https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/silico...0364.html#3312

For rail you should use anything that is “undustrial”. I use this: https://impas56.com/en/shop/avto-en/...-grease-250ml/
Or use Würth special spray for rack rail. But is hard to apply. I have other problem… Sun shade motor make griding noise only when closing…
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 10:24 PM   #33
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

EVERYONE!

Most of your problems will be solved by greasing the rubber seal on the glass and where the rubber meets the metal body.

The noise is rubber seal squeaking against the metal with the body movements.

Gummi Pflege or a good silicone based lubricant (Shin Etsu!) will do the trick or some expensive clear teflon tape on the metal where the rubber meets the steel.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:02 AM   #34
Tomla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i X & 2011 335i X

Garage List
Quote:
Well I'm scheduled back to the dealer next Friday with I don't know how long they will have my car again.

I contacted BMW Corporate and they said if my cars is at the dealer for a long extended period of time for the issue then they'll figure out compensation.
I had the same issue with the sunroof ticking. The dealer tried to fix it but couldn't make it go away. They lubricated it, replaced mounting washers, took everything apart and put it back together, etc. I think they had the headliner our 3 times trying to fix the problem. In the end they replaced the entire sunroof cassette. That finally seemed to resolve the issue.

Because of the sunroof and another warranty fix, they had the car for a very long time. BMW committed to send a check for one of the cars monthly loan payments. That was 15 months ago, I have yet receive the check despite making dozens of inquires about it. I keep getting more excuses.

I have had quite a few other rattles from the car as well, mostly they were fixed under warranty but the car was in the dealer at least a half dozen times for them. Overall the build quality of these cars is subpar and BMW has been unresponsive to there commitments.

While I don't have much good to say about BMW I will say that my local dealer has been very good to work with. They went the extra mile to fix the rattles and I know they have pushed corporate to send my check, my complaint isn't with them it is with BMW corporate.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:55 PM   #35
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i & X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
EVERYONE!

Most of your problems will be solved by greasing the rubber seal on the glass and where the rubber meets the metal body.

The noise is rubber seal squeaking against the metal with the body movements.

Gummi Pflege or a good silicone based lubricant (Shin Etsu!) will do the trick or some expensive clear teflon tape on the metal where the rubber meets the steel.
What he said !! Gummi Pflege works really well.
Get it on Amazon: “ Sonax 03401000 Rubber Protectant GummiPfleger, 3.38 fl. oz. , black” for about $12

What also works is any silicone grease
      05-14-2024, 04:30 AM   #36
LionNL
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M edition

G20 330e Rattle rooflining front right (passenger side) sunroof

Quote:
Im having the same issue as Deveb describes and im still searching for a solution. When you grap the plastic front corner just above the roof lining. (so not the sunroof issue) the ratteling stops. The moment you let go the ratteling is back. It does not matter if you have you sunroof closed, open or tilted. De vibration comes from the front rooflining where it meets the sunroof. Im still investigating what the problem is. But if annyone knows. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 08:48 AM   #37
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

There goes another one. I had the same issue as well. They replaced my sealants around moon roof or at least that is what they said. After i had to take it back for them to lube it. Right now Its like ok, I can still hear it but just slightly.
      05-14-2024, 12:39 PM   #38
RDSX1901
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 - 330ix

I’ve been through the same process and frustrations with the ticking noise in the headliner above the front passenger seat. My car is under the extended warranty so the “repairs” have come out of pocket. The first visit the techs lubed and greased the sunroof. No resolution. 2nd visit the techs removed the headliner and replaced some of the retention clips that they discovered had failed. That repair resolved the noise for a little over 4 months. The ticking started back up last month. The techs took the car in again and were stunned that I was complaining about the noise again. They acknowledged that they only replaced the clips that had failed last time so there’s a possibility the other clips have since failed. But this time around they denied being able to duplicate the noise. So they greased the sunroof again and said that there was nothing more they could do without hearing her noise. I ended up wedging some small pieces of rubber above the headliner where the fabric of the headliner and the plastic surround of the sunroof meet. This significantly reduced the frequency of the ticks. Not perfect but it’s a solution… Hopefully not a temporary one.

Last edited by RDSX1901; 05-14-2024 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 04:53 AM   #39
LionNL
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionNL View Post
Im having the same issue as Deveb describes and im still searching for a solution. When you grap the plastic front corner just above the roof lining. (so not the sunroof issue) the ratteling stops. The moment you let go the ratteling is back. It does not matter if you have you sunroof closed, open or tilted. De vibration comes from the front rooflining where it meets the sunroof. Im still investigating what the problem is. But if annyone knows. Let me know.
So little update. I tried pushing to front right rooflinging by pushing in firm upward. So no wooden Spoon handposition --> rooflining edge of the sunroof en under the sunvisor. While doing that i heard and velt a click.
I also discoverd that the microfoon above the passenger had some play in that. fiddeld with that. (stil have te apply some dubble tape) but after the push the enoying ratteling so far stopt.

On hard road there is still some ratteling in the sunroof windows itself but that wasnt the annoying rattle and is an other issue on itself.

So far is see the "annoying rattleling" commes from the rooflining. between the edge of the sunvisor and the edge of the rooflining where it meets the sunroof. Its def not the glass cause that one can be solved with fitment en lube. If it comes back im gona try to put some vilt between the plastic and the metal rail of the sunroof.

When the ratteling gets back i will update this searching for the exact issue but for me atleast it had been quite for one day

Last edited by LionNL; 05-15-2024 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0