BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum whistling noise on driver side

11-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw x7

whistling noise on driver side

2020 x7 40i

I just started noticing a whistling noise when driving above 30 mph on the driver side and i *think* it may be coming from the side mirror. It's not noticeable when the music is on loud enough but it shouldn't be happening when it's not

Has any one else come across this?

I need to do some more tests to see where it may be coming from.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

People over on g05 have also had run-ins with the seal around the sunroof causing a whistling sound at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

oh wow. that's pretty loud in one of the videos in the G05 forum. Mine thankfully isn't there (yet).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
I’ve noticed a similar noise lately but have narrowed it down the the ventilation system. When i turn off the AC/Heat, it stops. Will take it in soon to find out.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
lukehhhhh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i | 2017 i3 BEV

I have noticed whistling sound at speeds between 30 and 45 mph. It's very faint but definitely there. The car has really good sound proofing and it's really strange to hear faint whistling sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I did some basic tests today and narrowed it down to the gap that's there between the side view mirror and the housing it's attached to.

I put tape around the open gap (it's effectively the gap that's needed to retract the mirror in) to seal it and the noise went away.

Taking it into the dealership soon. If it was the side view mirror and it needed replacement, the service advisor said it'll likely need to come in from Germany so it could take a while.

This is a top view of the area I wrapped. I basically wrapped the bottom and part of the other side where the actual mirror is to cover that gap.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update on this one... I took it to the dealership, reproduced the problem with them so it's not just me hearing it

They attempted to fix it, but ran into a problem where they put too much insulation in that it slowed down the open/close of the mirror movement itself. They ordered the part which came in quick, replaced it and problem is solved.

Awesome experience with BMW Fremont Service department on this one.

Hopefully this was a one-off fluke. The tech suspected since the mileage was low when the issue was reported that it was likely a bad install/part during the build process vs something that developed over the limited time it's been driven.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      12-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Thanks, appreciate your follow-up with this one!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020bmwx7 View Post
Update on this one... I took it to the dealership, reproduced the problem with them so it's not just me hearing it

They attempted to fix it, but ran into a problem where they put too much insulation in that it slowed down the open/close of the mirror movement itself. They ordered the part which came in quick, replaced it and problem is solved.

Hopefully this was a one-off fluke. The tech suspected since the mileage was low when the issue was reported that it was likely a bad install/part during the build process vs something that developed over the limited time it's been driven.
Could you tell it was coming from the front part of the drivers door? I have a faint buzzing noise I think is coming from the area where the drivers door meets the B-pillar. I also hear an intermittent plastic sounds like click and pops from the same area even when car is not moving. Any thoughts? My drivers door does not line up evenly with rear door as it does on the passenger side doors. Car has 1,300 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdurhamski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020bmwx7 View Post

Could you tell it was coming from the front part of the drivers door? I have a faint buzzing noise I think is coming from the area where the drivers door meets the B-pillar. I also hear an intermittent plastic sounds like click and pops from the same area even when car is not moving. Any thoughts? My drivers door does not line up evenly with rear door as it does on the passenger side doors. Car has 1,300 miles on it.
Yes it was pretty easy to tell that it was from the driver's side mirror for the problem I had.

If your driver side door is not lining up evenly with the rear driver side door and it's visibly noticeable, you should definitely take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
lukehhhhh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i | 2017 i3 BEV

Just got back from the dealer, they agreed whistling sound was audible. They test drove another X7 and found similar sounds. There were no other reported cases so they determined it's not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #12
akap007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5d

My 2019 X7 has similar noise problems on the driver side front door. There is a distinct wind flutter coming from near the b-pillar above 60mph in addition to occasional rattling sounds from the driver side door. Taking it to my dealer next week to see if they can diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #13
2020bmwx7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehhhhh View Post
Just got back from the dealer, they agreed whistling sound was audible. They test drove another X7 and found similar sounds. There were no other reported cases so they determined it's not a problem.
Do you know where the sound is coming from?

After my driver side mirror was fixed, I do hear a slight sound coming from the center of the dashboard. I *think* it might be because there's air that is passing through the center speaker cover holes (you can feel it if you put your hand over the holes while driving) but I haven't tried to narrow this down since the cabin is a ton more quiet in general compared to my other cars though and it's not that annoying as the driver side problem I had prior but like the first problem, it only seems to come up once I go above 30 mph.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #14
604MIIC
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: G07 F82 F87

Digging up an old thread.

2 week old x7, excessive wind/road noise above 55mph/90kmh. And if there's cross wind, it's even more noticeable.
Driven a g05 x5 and with the single pane window, it was very quiet inside the cabin. However with the double pane glass on the x7, the noise is almost unbearable at speed. Other than taking it into the dealer, is there any area I could inspect before hand.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604MIIC View Post
Digging up an old thread.

2 week old x7, excessive wind/road noise above 55mph/90kmh. And if there's cross wind, it's even more noticeable.
Driven a g05 x5 and with the single pane window, it was very quiet inside the cabin. However with the double pane glass on the x7, the noise is almost unbearable at speed. Other than taking it into the dealer, is there any area I could inspect before hand.

Thanks in advance
This has been discussed in other posts for a while now. Here's the latest on this. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=17.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #16
604MIIC
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: G07 F82 F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
This has been discussed in other posts for a while now. Here's the latest on this. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=17.
Thanks for that, but my problem is not just a simple trim piece.
My brother who is a certified bodyman took a look @ the doors and concluded that the driver side door is warped, it is slight bent on the upper portion thus not creating a positive seal against the B pillar.

But I have bigger problems in my hands right now, my four wheel system threw a error code along with seat restraint. So my power steering is operating at half capacity, at low speeds it requires a heavy effort just to turn the wheel.

Needless to say, the car is sitting at the dealership until morning when their 'master tech' comes in.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #17
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604MIIC View Post
Thanks for that, but my problem is not just a simple trim piece.
My brother who is a certified bodyman took a look @ the doors and concluded that the driver side door is warped, it is slight bent on the upper portion thus not creating a positive seal against the B pillar.

But I have bigger problems in my hands right now, my four wheel system threw a error code along with seat restraint. So my power steering is operating at half capacity, at low speeds it requires a heavy effort just to turn the wheel.

Needless to say, the car is sitting at the dealership until morning when their 'master tech' comes in.
If that's the case, I would be looking for a BMW buy back or pursuing the lemon law for your area.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:06 AM   #18
elp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I joust noticed this problem on my car as well, also between 30-40 mph, beyond that it goes away. This appear to have started after I installed the BMW Crossbar. I did not hear this before that. Is this the case for everyone else here as well? Do you all have the crossbar? I hope it's not because of the force exerted on the roof of the car.
Appreciate 1