BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Help...lights/car won't shut off

01-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
Wristdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C, 2019 X7 50i

Help...lights/car won't shut off

So I am aware of the "radio ready" state, etc, but my wife is having the issue of the X7 lights staying on once everything has been shut off.

This occurs at random intervals and we cannot determine a pattern. The other night, she parked in the garage and exited the vehicle with the key only to find the headlights (daytime running lights) and taillights on the next morning. This is like when you approach the vehicle with the key in your pocket...the lights come on. Only these stay on for hours and sometimes over night.

This occurs even if opening multiple doors and turning the radio ready state to off by pushing the volume knob if the radio is still on upon exiting.

Are we missing something here? I have a new M8C and have no issues with it doing this. Very confused...

Thanks in advance for any advice or links to previous threads!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

How far away from the car do you keep the keys? Do the lights shutoff immediately after locking (if and when you lock)?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
Wristdoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C, 2019 X7 50i

It's in the garage so we generally don't lock the doors. Keys today and the time overnight were far away. Sometimes they are left in the kitchen, which is not far from the garage, so I get that proximity may be an issue but that is usually not the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #4
luke.jenner
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911T, Porsche 993

Hi,
If you don’t lock your BMW overnight you will run into real problems. I have an X4 and a 7 Series and this is well documented on the power hungry cars like the 7 Series. When you lock the car it puts the electrical system to sleep, except for the alarm, door sensors for comfort access and other essentials. If you don’t lock it, many other circuits remain active and will drain the battery. On the 7 Series if you do this too many nights in a row you will get a warning on the iDrive system advising of excessive battery drain.
Lock the car each night and see if it makes a difference.
Luke
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      02-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristdoc View Post
It's in the garage so we generally don't lock the doors.
Same here but with this car it is best to lock the doors. Get into the habit otherwise you will see significant battery loss in the vehicle. When you lock the vehicle it will shut off radio and other features only leaving the necessary items needed for entry enabled.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

This happens to me too. I have already posted this in this forum before. I essentially lock the car every time now. It's a pain then to have to go get something out of your car and its locked. I forget to grab the key all the time. However, keeping the comfort access on (lock door when walking away) is really great. This is the only way I could guarantee the lights would turn off.
Appreciate 0