BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Instrument cluster brightness

04-28-2020, 04:17 AM   #1
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Instrument cluster brightness

Instrument cluster too dark during daytime. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699186

I've been reading this thread on the X5 forum, has anyone experienced issues in your X7 ?

My new X7 is about to be tinted 50% by the dealer and as much as I want / need the tints just wondering if it's going to cause issues.
      04-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

No issues for me and I live in CO, so it's pretty damn bright most days. I'll pay closer attention next time I drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

From what in reading it's not just the brightness it's if the interior is dimmed by tints that can be the issue, although from that thread seems to be more than one cause.

It's too late for me now, the dealership sent a picture for me earlier of my tints already done
      04-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

The instrument cluster just sucks that's all. There's a tv in there with every color but they give you a bland boring mostly black and white view. Why?
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #5
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
The instrument cluster just sucks that's all. There's a tv in there with every color but they give you a bland boring mostly black and white view. Why?
For me the instrument cluster is fine. Just the brightness issue would concern me (if indeed it is an issue )

What concerns you about the colours ? I certainly don't feel it's black and white.
      04-29-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Quote:
For me the instrument cluster is fine. Just the brightness issue would concern me (if indeed it is an issue )

What concerns you about the colours ? I certainly don't feel it's black and white.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And for some "beholders" the design of the stock digital cluster in the new G-series cars is "not that beautiful". At least there is an option to code (or turn on) different digital dash designs that are already stored in the car. But it is not that difficult to see that BMW has yet to reach the full design potential of the new digital dash hardware.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And for some "beholders" the design of the stock digital cluster in the new G-series cars is "not that beautiful". At least there is an option to code (or turn on) different digital dash designs that are already stored in the car. But it is not that difficult to see that BMW has yet to reach the full design potential of the new digital dash hardware.
Good point and its very much a personal thing.

Actually today I paid a little more attention to this in the loaner 7 series I have. I suppose it is a little 'black and white' and I suppose many would say 'bland'. For me personally it has everything I need in conjunction with HUD. But I fully appreciate why others would expect a little more customisation.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
exokiss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Garage List
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Good point and its very much a personal thing.

Actually today I paid a little more attention to this in the loaner 7 series I have. I suppose it is a little 'black and white' and I suppose many would say 'bland'. For me personally it has everything I need in conjunction with HUD. But I fully appreciate why others would expect a little more customisation.
So that being said, I assume Audi is way ahead when it comes to that kind of tech.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Hi all, jumping across from the G20 forum where we have been discussing this issue for months in this thread.

It is not model specific and affects ALL newer BMWs with digital instrument clusters. Tinting does exacerbate it, but the actual cause is the ambient light sensor in the digital dash being set far too aggressively. I have personally driven several 3-series, an X3, and an X5 that all exhibit the issue without any tinting on the front windows. Also a factor is where you live and how much sunlight your state gets, what season you're in, etc. Those in less sunny locales are going to notice it more. While BMW acknowledges the issue by blaming it on aftermarket tint, they refuse to admit the issue is also present without any tint. So no official fix is expected as far as I can tell. As such there have been a few DIY solutions put forth, including a small variable 'un-dimming' device I designed and have been using in my own G20 for the last 5 months. Pics and video in this thread.

My coworker got a brand new X5 a couple months ago, and his dealer offered him 35% ceramic tint, which in theory is the worst offender since it blocks the most IR. He asked them if they were aware that tinting can cause screen dimming issues and they were shockingly clueless about it. Based on my advice he declined, and it's a good thing he did. His screens are already prone to being unacceptably dim, even without any tint applied to his front windows. I shot a video of my undimming unit applied to his dash. Check out how washed out his instrument cluster is at the beginning and the end (brightness takes about 10 seconds to ramp all the way back down)...

Hope this info helps some folks.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:30 PM   #10
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:

Like another poster said before, I am coming out of a Audi Q7. The screen had a lot more 'color' in it or you could put the google earth map inside the center. You could make it bigger with smaller gauges and vice versa.

The BMW screen just looks bland that's all. The aggravating part is that we know that this is a color monitor and can look so much better. Of course I feel the BMW is better than the Audi or I would have bought another Audi.

Another aggravation for me is the size of some of the fonts. Here BMW is a little better than Audi but still. I think the designers sit in front of a 30" screen and design the temp and clock plus the speedo or other info. I wish when they were done, they would shrink their screen down to actual size. Sit three feet away. Have someone rock their chair and dip the screen up and down like when you are driving.

It would help if they were 60+ with bifocals like I wear LOL
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Like another poster said before, I am coming out of a Audi Q7. The screen had a lot more 'color' in it or you could put the google earth map inside the center. You could make it bigger with smaller gauges and vice versa.

The BMW screen just looks bland that's all. The aggravating part is that we know that this is a color monitor and can look so much better. Of course I feel the BMW is better than the Audi or I would have bought another Audi.

Another aggravation for me is the size of some of the fonts. Here BMW is a little better than Audi but still. I think the designers sit in front of a 30" screen and design the temp and clock plus the speedo or other info. I wish when they were done, they would shrink their screen down to actual size. Sit three feet away. Have someone rock their chair and dip the screen up and down like when you are driving.

It would help if they were 60+ with bifocals like I wear LOL
I couldn't have said it better myself!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #12
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

As I posted on the other thread relating to tints

..... picked up my X7 today, no real scientific tests but my screens do not dim that much that its a problem for me.

I have 50% tints and yes they do dim a little but I would expect this as the interior is slightly darker. But I can see everything clear enough .. I certainly dont see it as a problem.

The software is 03/2020.
      05-25-2020, 01:56 AM   #13
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Something I have noticed is that in sport mode mine doesn't dim at all and stays at full brightness ..... anyone else see this ?
      05-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #14
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Something I have noticed is that in sport mode mine doesn't dim at all and stays at full brightness ..... anyone else see this ?
Funny that you mention that.

I genuinely was keeping an eye on the dashboard for the past week trying to see the dimming concern, but have failed to see that.

That being said I always drive sport mode maybe that's why I've been unable to see the issue. Which is in line with your observation 🤔
      05-26-2020, 06:34 AM   #15
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
+1 I too have been looking out for this issue over the past several weeks, but have yet to encounter it. At least to the point where it is an issue. If I did not see this thread, I would never know to even look for it or even notice when the cluster does dim slightly under different lighting conditions. But then, I can also make the cluster dim intentionally if I put my hand over the sensor on the left side of the instrument cluster - and at max dim it does not bother me.

I don't have any window tint yet, which I will have installed in the near future. I plan to go 40% on the front side windows and 70% on the windshield. I also drive in Sport Individual mode all the time, FWIW.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #16
wamochi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
Hi all, jumping across from the G20 forum where we have been discussing this issue for months in this thread.

It is not model specific and affects ALL newer BMWs with digital instrument clusters. Tinting does exacerbate it, but the actual cause is the ambient light sensor in the digital dash being set far too aggressively. I have personally driven several 3-series, an X3, and an X5 that all exhibit the issue without any tinting on the front windows. Also a factor is where you live and how much sunlight your state gets, what season you're in, etc. Those in less sunny locales are going to notice it more. While BMW acknowledges the issue by blaming it on aftermarket tint, they refuse to admit the issue is also present without any tint. So no official fix is expected as far as I can tell. As such there have been a few DIY solutions put forth, including a small variable 'un-dimming' device I designed and have been using in my own G20 for the last 5 months. Pics and video in this thread.

My coworker got a brand new X5 a couple months ago, and his dealer offered him 35% ceramic tint, which in theory is the worst offender since it blocks the most IR. He asked them if they were aware that tinting can cause screen dimming issues and they were shockingly clueless about it. Based on my advice he declined, and it's a good thing he did. His screens are already prone to being unacceptably dim, even without any tint applied to his front windows. I shot a video of my undimming unit applied to his dash. Check out how washed out his instrument cluster is at the beginning and the end (brightness takes about 10 seconds to ramp all the way back down)...

Hope this info helps some folks.[/url]
i've been experiencing this dimming also. took the car for our first longer drive this past weekend, about 250 mi. it was generally sunny but some partial cloud cover here and there. when the sun was very bright outside and the ambient light in the cabin cast a shadow on the instrument cluster, all the displays would get super dim to the point i had to remove my sunglasses (even though it was still very bright to look out the windshield while driving). the display was too dim to read anything comfortably. within 30-60 seconds, cloud cover changes and amount of outside sunlight changed, and the displays brightened up again. but this phenomenon occurred maybe 10-12 times during the 4.5 hours of drive time. pretty annoying.

scoured the forums here and elsewhere and it appears to be a pretty well known problem for a bunch of models. around town when i'm just going to all my usual places, dimming is not really noticed if it's a short trip or familiar area. but on a long drive to new territory, it's pretty frustrating and unnerving at times.

in any case, i am surprised it hasn't been corrected via a software fix by now considering the dimming complaints have been going on since MY2019 i've read about possible coding fixes, but with mixed results. weird that you can't adjust daytime settings for display brightness (only available for nighttime settings)
      03-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #17
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think that may have been observational coincidence. To my knowledge no one else has ever reported this, and I'm sure lots of folks around here drive in sports mode quite a bit. Doesn't make any sense to me why the dimming feature would know or care which driving mode you're in.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 04:41 PM   #18
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FYI - The Bimmercode fix listed on page 3 of the following thread does work well. I've been using this for weeks now with no ill effects.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1699186&page=3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #19
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
FYI - The Bimmercode fix listed on page 3 of the following thread does work well. I've been using this for weeks now with no ill effects.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1699186&page=3
This fixed the issue on my X5 and my wife’s 850.
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 0