BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2014 Formula 1 Shell Belgian Grand Prix

08-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #111
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

^ Exactly

If it's pretty passing and respecting the track limits and drivers, then we wouldn't have this debate.
      08-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #112
Tonifyd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 JB E90M3 6MT

jeez some of these comments make me wonder if they even watched the race at all

here's some more food for thought for those who actually watched

08-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #113
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I'm interested in seeing what Mercedes does about it, if anything, if they really believe (or Nico admitted) Nico guilt. Seems somewhat limited. Their main goal is winning Contructors and Drivers' Championship and Nico's main goal is winning Drivers. I can't imagine money matters to Nico at this point, especially with new contract (another long term reason Mercedes doesn't want to do anything too harsh). So doing anything that limits points to Nico doesn't meet both of their main goals. Any ideas?

If true about Nico admitting guilt, I am really surprised, I would have thought most would have just said, "racing accident, I tried to pass and Hamilton moved over more than I thought he should have" and left it at that.
      08-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #114
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I'm not a Rosberg fan, but I do think it's funny how many Lewis fans are up in arms of someone else driving aggresively. It's what every world champion or potential world champion will do repeatedly at various times in every race. The fact that they are more often then not successful is part of what separates them from the racers who never win. I saw Rosberg pushing it hard and trying (and failing ever so slightly) to bake and cut back across Hamilton's rear. Didn't work out for Hamilton and it also cost Rosberg the win thanks to the extra time in the pits to replace his wing. If it had been Alonso or Kimi hitting Hamilton would we have the same hysterics - I doubt it. Everyone would have just said - well that was very aggressive, but bad luck for Hamilton. Alonso did do same thing to Vettel later, but I don't see anyone complaining about him.
      08-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #115
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I'm not a Rosberg fan, but I do think it's funny how many Lewis fans are up in arms of someone else driving aggresively. It's what every world champion or potential world champion will do repeatedly at various times in every race. The fact that they are more often then not successful is part of what separates them from the racers who never win. I saw Rosberg pushing it hard and trying (and failing ever so slightly) to bake and cut back across Hamilton's rear. Didn't work out for Hamilton and it also cost Rosberg the win thanks to the extra time in the pits to replace his wing. If it had been Alonso or Kimi hitting Hamilton would we have the same hysterics - I doubt it. Everyone would have just said - well that was very aggressive, but bad luck for Hamilton. Alonso did do same thing to Vettel later, but I don't see anyone complaining about him.
All true except for ROS and HAM being teammates. As a team, you're supposed to work together, in as much as possible, for the common good of the team. That sometimes means being a tad less aggressive towards your teammate than you are towards other drivers. ROS was maybe a bit more aggressive than he should have been.

That said, I myself couldn't possibly think and act with any sanity at those speeds with such a monster of a car under me. I'm amazed any of these guys can react so quickly and drive with such precision. So when incidents like this happen, I tend to chalk it up to racing and let it go. It was a decision made in a millisecond by ROS not to back off and his front wing was a few inches too far along to avoid HAM's tire. We're dinging him for a mistake of inches and milliseconds all occurring at 150MPH.

IMO ROS's biggest mistake of the day was his "to make a point" statement. I'm sure he made his point with HAM and the team. Airing that publicly was poor judgment that can't be blamed on high speed.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #116
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I think the tipping point of the entire drama was when Niki Lauda and Toto Wolff both placing blame onto Nico immediately. And when the post-race debriefing that Nico admitted he wouldn't back off to "prove a point", and adding more fuel to the fire. (That could be caused by the booing and many other reasons) Mercedes PR did a poor job trying to brush off the entire thing as a racing incident.

IF (hindsight is a beautiful thing) Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda put a small blame on Nico. Saying something like he is pushing and tried an over-optimistic overtake on Les Combes, but unfortunately in contact with Hamilton's left rear. It is unacceptable for both drivers to have contact in the race, and they should know better. We will remind them they both racing for the team.
Something like that would let the whole thing go away.

Hell, Mercedes PR could even use this opportunity to tell the public that they are a "racing team".
"We allowed our drivers to race, this is the risk we are taking. However, having said that, both cars colliding each other was unacceptable. We will talk to both nico and lewis and remind them they are allowed to race but team result comes first."
Something like that.

just saying~
      08-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #117
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post

Hell, Mercedes PR could even use this opportunity to tell the public that they are a "racing team".
"We allowed our drivers to race, this is the risk we are taking. However, having said that, both cars colliding each other was unacceptable. We will talk to both nico and lewis and remind them they are allowed to race but team result comes first."
Something like that.

just saying~
I agree! They could have spun this much more toward their benefit very easily. I'm also surprised at Nico Rosberg's handling of the situation. Why not just say the right things? It's so simple.

I think Lewis won the PR battle on this front and comes out the winner but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be world champion. Sometimes you have to be a "bastard" and do some unpopular things throughout the course of a season to win the title.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #118
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I love this quote (specifically Nico having a knife between his teeth):

"You don't try to overtake with the knife between your teeth on lap number two and damage both cars," said Toto Wolff when BBC Sport spoke to him moments after the finish.

"Lap number two of a long race, a crash between two team-mates. It is absolutely unacceptable."

(Also of note, DRS had not yet been enabled).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #119
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #120
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Didn't say much.

I won't be surprised if they come together at the first chicane at Monza.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #121
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Unsurprising bit of backpedaling by Nico and the Merc team...No doubt to stop Nico being punished by the FIA for "bringing the sport into disrepute" for apparently stating that he drove into Hamilton on purpose.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #122
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I didn't really... it's going to be about PR and damage control (no pun intended) until Monza
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #123
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Can you read this?:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28922696
I don't think its likely but again it explains the sound of bicycle chains going backwards.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #124
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I think F1 fans the world over should be thanking Rosberg if he acted intentionally. In fact, I say let the two Mercedes drivers ram each other at the start of every race. It actually makes the next hour or so of my life watching the "race", not a complete bore and snooze fest.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #125
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Toto Wolff:

“If Lewis has said that it’s going to be a slap on the wrist, and that there’s going to be no consequence, then he’s not aware of what consequences we can implement.”

“Today we’ve seen the limits of the slap on the wrist. Maybe the slap on the wrist is not enough,” warned the Mercedes motorsport boss.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #126
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

If you believe HAM's statements, ROS admitted to not backing off. Who knows if ROS did say that or not; I dont know if he did on purpose or not, but even if he did, he doesnt strike me as being dumb enough to say so in a team meeting. ROS unsurprisingly disputes HAM version of events at the team meeting. At any rate, not backing out is not the same thing as intentionally colliding. There is a distinction there, and a historically relevant one.

Senna is often regarded as the greatest ever. Many times, he employed the same strategy as ROS. There are many interviews out there to watch if you are so inclined, I happen to recall one done with Martin Brundle, where he said that Senna would put his car in a position, and then, as Martin put it, "leave it up to the other driver as to whether or not there was going to be an accident." (ie: the other driver chooses to back off or change his line, or they hit, because Senna was not going to back off or change his line).

Not suggesting that ROS is the next Senna or anything, but this is hardly new ground here, yet people are acting as if some unprecedented crime has occurred here. I dont recall Christian Horner being as upset when VET and WEB had a massive collision in Turkey (which was a much more egregious disregard for your teammate); yet now Toto is blowing a fuse....
      08-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #127
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Mercedes folks keep digging themselves deeper. They're risking losing all points for that race, which may serve them right. Although it would barely dent their current lead in the Constructor's race, it would certainly tighten up the driver's championship. It would bring Ricciardo into much closer contention, which is a good thing.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #128
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I have watched the footage a bit more and Brundle's piece, and I honestly think that it's easy to put a lot of thought behind Rosberg's actions after the fact. But we have to realise he simply didn't do as much, because he had a split second to do what he did.
I do think that he did it on impulse, and that he could've been more conservative, and that he called that impulse "proving a point". But to go as far as speculating on him having calculated the exact damage to each car etc is poppycock to me. And remember, that doesn't always work out (Schumacher-Villeneuve anyone?).
We'll have to see how they race each other from now on. I recall Bahrain, Lewis had Rosberg outright. So Rosberg better try harder (I do think Lewis is more talented). That said, Lewis got properly schooled by Schumacher in Monza a few years back (and appropriately whined on the radio), so it's not that easy to pass there.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #129
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

He's, (Rosberg), an asshat. He knows that Lewis is by far a better driver and the only bloody reason he isn't at least 50 points behind Lewis is that Lewis has had shite luck and Rosberg has only had one problem all season. Rosberg won the pole, he stuffed up the start letting Lewis get the lead and then he was pissed about it. Hence taking Lewis out was 'making his point' that he's an inferior driver I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #130
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I love this quote (specifically Nico having a knife between his teeth):

"You don't try to overtake with the knife between your teeth on lap number two and damage both cars," said Toto Wolff when BBC Sport spoke to him moments after the finish.

"Lap number two of a long race, a crash between two team-mates. It is absolutely unacceptable."

(Also of note, DRS had not yet been enabled).
HELLO!!!!!

I was wondering when someone would bring up the point about DRS not yet being enabled! Just sit back for one more lap and then it's a cake walk to get by. Yes, we all know LH has had his share of moronic moves. Monza on lap 1 from a few years back comes to mind.

Rosberg drove like an idiot on cold tires and he should face team discipline.

Just curious, but Rosberg has never had a bad start like he did Sunday. Willing to bet he planned it out to let LH get in front with the later intention of trying to demoralize him with a bold pass.

Didn't quite workout. If no discipline then Mercedes becomes a joke.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #131
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Rosberg is untrustworthy

Quote from LH

"It's interesting because we had that meeting on Thursday and Nico expressed how angry he was [about Hungary]. I was thinking 'It's been three weeks and you've been lingering?!"

Still think it wasn't intentional? Dude stewed about Hungary for a friggin' month!

Sit his ass for the next two races.
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #132
Aapparition90
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 lci m3 mw

Garage List
2014 bmw 328i  [0.00]
2012 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I sure hope so. Rosberg has been playing dirty pool all year long.

He's showing that he can't win without basically cheating.
I am a Hamilton fan and i do think he is the more skilled driver but you are also wrong.. some of the moves hamilton has done on him to defend and overtake have crossed the line and rosberg has been very conservative about it.What Rosberg did at spa was just horrible driving and he has copped criticism about it from everyone.There was simply no explanation for it and i think it was more out of frustration because hamilton overtook him fair and square and nico knew at that point he was not going to win the race.
Appreciate 0