BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Cross-Shopping X5 with X7

03-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
Thanks all for the thoughts.For example, does anybody know what the specs are in terms of double glazing on the windows, and how it compares to X5?
You are talking about Acoustic glass i presume.

It is standard on x7 and a $300 option on x5.
When equally equipped they are the same. ( i mean parts are picked from the same bin)

Make sure you check all the right options when ordering either.

Luxury options you are talking about
- acoustic glass
- glass controls (you silver switches and trim)
- air suspension or off road pack
- leather dash
- extended Merino leather or full leather
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #24
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
Thanks all for the thoughts.

I think they begin to address the crux of my question: is the X7 to the X5, like the 7 series to the 5 series ie.a general step up in fit and finish?
This is a great question, and I would phrase the answer like this:

YES, the X7 is a step up in luxury from the X5. But NO, it is nowhere near the quantum jump from the 5er to the 7er. Most of the improvements are small, as you mention, such as the metal window controls vs. plastic, or the velour cargo cover behind the 3rd row. Some of them are tiny or inconsequential. Some can (or soon will be available to) be added as upgrades to the X5.

Is the X7 a step up from the X5? Yes. Is it the same step up as from the 5er to 7er? Nope. Perhaps BMW will step up the X7 in the future, so this is the case. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #25
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

Its a step up in luxury and comfort. A step down in sportiness. Buy the vehicle with the attributes that are more important to you
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:29 AM   #26
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I had 2020 Mercedes GLE on order since Nov 2018 but wanted to look at one of it's direct competitors, the X5, so we stopped into our local dealer and took it for a test drive. I loved everything about the X5 (looks, handling, comfort, leather finishes, etc.) except the 2nd row leg room was not nearly as generous as the new GLE so we decided to strike the X5 off our list. A week later the salesman called me and said they had received their first batch of X7's and offered me to come back and test drive a 40i. I couldn't resist but my wife wasn't interested because she preferred a smaller vehicle so our son came along. We owned a GLS 550 which is the direct competitor to the new X7 so I had a better perspective of what BMW was trying to accomplish with their newest big rig. Wow, I was blown away by the luxury, attention to detail, drive, comfort, and on and on. But one of the first things that draw my attention was the massive leg room in the 2nd row. As stated above, the X5 2nd row leg room was not that generous but the X7 excels in roominess. Within a week the dealership managed to make me an offer I couldn't ignore so back for another test drive along with my wife but this time we drove a 50i. Several hours later it was sitting in our garage.
Appreciate 2
PIPE_DR354.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      03-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #27
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Several hours later it was sitting in our garage.
LOL.
Congrats on the new ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #28
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliu070 View Post
Quote:
Several hours later it was sitting in our garage.
LOL.
Congrats on the new ride.
As well as our first BMW ever. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #29
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had 2020 Mercedes GLE on order since Nov 2018 but wanted to look at one of it's direct competitors, the X5, so we stopped into our local dealer and took it for a test drive. I loved everything about the X5 (looks, handling, comfort, leather finishes, etc.) except the 2nd row leg room was not nearly as generous as the new GLE so we decided to strike the X5 off our list. A week later the salesman called me and said they had received their first batch of X7's and offered me to come back and test drive a 40i. I couldn't resist but my wife wasn't interested because she preferred a smaller vehicle so our son came along. We owned a GLS 550 which is the direct competitor to the new X7 so I had a better perspective of what BMW was trying to accomplish with their newest big rig. Wow, I was blown away by the luxury, attention to detail, drive, comfort, and on and on. But one of the first things that draw my attention was the massive leg room in the 2nd row. As stated above, the X5 2nd row leg room was not that generous but the X7 excels in roominess. Within a week the dealership managed to make me an offer I couldn't ignore so back for another test drive along with my wife but this time we drove a 50i. Several hours later it was sitting in our garage.
Congrats! There's several of us here, for whom 2nd row legroom is very important. Just like you, I was highly considering the X5, but think I'll be going with the X7, and one of the primary reasons is the way that the X7 can slide the 2nd row back to create more legroom. Even though I have no need for the 3rd row.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #30
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Congrats! There's several of us here, for whom 2nd row legroom is very important. Just like you, I was highly considering the X5, but think I'll be going with the X7, and one of the primary reasons is the way that the X7 can slide the 2nd row back to create more legroom. Even though I have no need for the 3rd row.
I think your reasoning is correct. Even if you do not use the third row you'll have all that extra storage and two extra seats if the need should arise. But the second row room in the X7 is superb and worth considering.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      04-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #31
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

So I just traded in a 2019 X5 40i for a X7 40i. You will see I posted a lot in that forum. Lets not talk about my depreciation... ouch. But the reason I did it, and this is just me. But I was won over by the way the X7 felt. I had a pretty fully loaded X5 and it was great. I agree it was more agile and sporty, but to me... not by a lot. Then I drove the X7 and had to play a game to find where something wasn't leather coated. The two tone blue/ivory was just so stunning. Even the door bins are leather coated and stitched. The back of the front seats and bins are leather wrapped. The roof was alcantara and the details just felt more luxurious. Even the cargo cover is alcantara. Granted most of it was carry over from the X5, but its just felt more special with those little touches. I am sure that will upset the X5 people and I don't mean it as a dig at all. The X5 was certainly more toss-able and playful. And I see why you would chose one every day over an X7 certainly given the price difference. But, I was looking for a luxury cruiser that was still fun and this ticked all the boxes. It made me miss the feel of my Range Rover less. For me it was the Rover without all the technical and electrical bugs. Do I miss the playfulness of the X5, some days for sure! But every time I get in this I cant imagine a vehicle on the road, at this price point, even coming close in terms of luxury and ride quality. Just my 2 cents.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 5
Wild Blue3676.50
jokinawa293.00
760Lifan450.50
BigHunk269.50
jphcbpa299.50
      04-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #32
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
So I just traded in a 2019 X5 40i for a X7 40i. You will see I posted a lot in that forum. Lets not talk about my depreciation... ouch. But the reason I did it, and this is just me. But I was won over by the way the X7 felt. I had a pretty fully loaded X5 and it was great. I agree it was more agile and sporty, but to me... not by a lot. Then I drove the X7 and had to play a game to find where something wasn't leather coated. The two tone blue/ivory was just so stunning. Even the door bins are leather coated and stitched. The back of the front seats and bins are leather wrapped. The roof was alcantara and the details just felt more luxurious. Even the cargo cover is alcantara. Granted most of it was carry over from the X5, but its just felt more special with those little touches. I am sure that will upset the X5 people and I don't mean it as a dig at all. The X5 was certainly more toss-able and playful. And I see why you would chose one every day over an X7 certainly given the price difference. But, I was looking for a luxury cruiser that was still fun and this ticked all the boxes. It made me miss the feel of my Range Rover less. For me it was the Rover without all the technical and electrical bugs. Do I miss the playfulness of the X5, some days for sure! But every time I get in this I cant imagine a vehicle on the road, at this price point, even coming close in terms of luxury and ride quality. Just my 2 cents.
Welcome to Godfather ownership!
Appreciate 1
JDBrown62.50
      04-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #33
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
I test drove the X5 and liked it a lot but the 2nd row leg room just wasn't what we wanted. The X7 on the other hand has very generous 2nd row leg room. And you pointed out many of the luxury appointments of the X7. It's our first BMW and we love it (so far). Carbon Black is a real beauty on the X7 and that white/blue leather is maybe the best combo I ever seen so I get why you made the jump from X5 to X7. Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
JDBrown62.50
      04-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #34
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
I test drove the X5 and liked it a lot but the 2nd row leg room just wasn't what we wanted. The X7 on the other hand has very generous 2nd row leg room. And you pointed out many of the luxury appointments of the X7. It's our first BMW and we love it (so far). Carbon Black is a real beauty on the X7 and that white/blue leather is maybe the best combo I ever seen so I get why you made the jump from X5 to X7. Enjoy!
Thanks, I agree. The X5 is amazing, I just felt something different in the X7... hard to put a finger on but it was there. Makes me smile every time I climb into those two tone seats.

I look forward to interacting more with the X7 owners on this site. I really got a lot and enjoyed talking with the X5 group.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #35
Gdwheel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 40i

Quote:
Thanks, I agree. The X5 is amazing, I just felt something different in the X7... hard to put a finger on but it was there. Makes me smile every time I climb in . . . .
Couldn't agree more!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #36
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Are you Joema on mbworld? Good to see your posts. My wife and I vacillated back and forth between the GLE450 and the X5. We ended up going with the X5 as our MB dealer could not give us a firm date on availability. One of our family members is still waiting for their GLE after they placed order in December...
Congrats on the X7!

OT: Is mbworld the only live MB site? There's couple of very active BMW forums, but MB forums are few and far in between...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #37
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Quote:
Are you Joema on mbworld? Good to see your posts. My wife and I vacillated back and forth between the GLE450 and the X5. We ended up going with the X5 as our MB dealer could not give us a firm date on availability. One of our family members is still waiting for their GLE after they placed order in December...
Congrats on the X7!

OT: Is mbworld the only live MB site? There's couple of very active BMW forums, but MB forums are few and far in between...
Hey magbarn, yes it's me. JoeMa was already taken so I had to select a new user name for this forum. I really feel bad for Greg and some of the others waiting for their GLEs to be built. Mercedes sent a notice to the dealers today acknowledging the production delay but didn't provide any date when completed GLEs would start rolling out of the plant.

As for the X7, we are very pleased that we went this direction instead. It is a fabulous car for their very first full-size SAV. They announced in May 2011 that they were going to build the X7 so they took their time and delivered a very fine product. Of course I am still concerned about some of the stories I've heard about BMW having electrical issues and what not so I hope our BMW is a good one. Our first 2013 GL 550 was a bit of a lemon with a serious problem that they could not correct so they bought it back from us and we purchased a 2014 GL 550 that didn't give us any issues. We also owned a 2017 GLS 550 that we traded on the X7 that also was problem free. But honestly, the difference between the GLS and the X7 is striking. Of course the new GLS is coming this fall and will be more competitive. But for now, I feel the X7 is the best priced premium 3 row SAV on the market.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #38
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, the two tone interior coming to the X5 too. Don’t see why the ax5 has no sliding seats, would cure the lack of rear legroom
Appreciate 2
JDBrown62.50
jokinawa293.00
      04-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #39
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

how much extra leg room do you think you gain over spec when slid back. I don't need 3rd row, however extra legroom in the 2nd row is needed for my rather tall (6'4") son.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #40
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdurhamski View Post
how much extra leg room do you think you gain over spec when slid back. I don't need 3rd row, however extra legroom in the 2nd row is needed for my rather tall (6'4") son.
I’m 6’4” and I fit well in the 2nd row provided the person in the first row isn’t also very tall
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:17 AM   #41
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if we ever heard a firm number of the extra room available. But I will say that I'm 6'3", and the X7 was able to provide me the extra legroom needed in the 2nd row, compared to the X5, to make it comfortable for sustained drives.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #42
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
I am 6’5” and this is what room I have with the drivers seat set for me too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #43
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

The X7 definitely has a very roomy 2nd room compared to other 3-row lux-utes.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #44
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
I am 6’5” and this is what room I have with the drivers seat set for me too.
Hell of a decline in that last pic...
Appreciate 0