04-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #45
m3cragg
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
So I just traded in a 2019 X5 40i for a X7 40i. You will see I posted a lot in that forum. Lets not talk about my depreciation... ouch. But the reason I did it, and this is just me. But I was won over by the way the X7 felt. I had a pretty fully loaded X5 and it was great. I agree it was more agile and sporty, but to me... not by a lot. Then I drove the X7 and had to play a game to find where something wasn't leather coated. The two tone blue/ivory was just so stunning. Even the door bins are leather coated and stitched. The back of the front seats and bins are leather wrapped. The roof was alcantara and the details just felt more luxurious. Even the cargo cover is alcantara. Granted most of it was carry over from the X5, but its just felt more special with those little touches. I am sure that will upset the X5 people and I don't mean it as a dig at all. The X5 was certainly more toss-able and playful. And I see why you would chose one every day over an X7 certainly given the price difference. But, I was looking for a luxury cruiser that was still fun and this ticked all the boxes. It made me miss the feel of my Range Rover less. For me it was the Rover without all the technical and electrical bugs. Do I miss the playfulness of the X5, some days for sure! But every time I get in this I cant imagine a vehicle on the road, at this price point, even coming close in terms of luxury and ride quality. Just my 2 cents.
how is the driving position comparing the X5 and X7?
coming from a Range Rover Sport the X5 feels really low
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #46
gdurhamski
gdurham
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 2020, 17 Porsche Turbo S, 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdurhamski View Post
how much extra leg room do you think you gain over spec when slid back. I don't need 3rd row, however extra legroom in the 2nd row is needed for my rather tall (6'4") son.
I am 6’5” and this is what room I have with the drivers seat set for me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdurhamski View Post
how much extra leg room do you think you gain over spec when slid back. I don't need 3rd row, however extra legroom in the 2nd row is needed for my rather tall (6'4") son.
I am 6'5" and this is what room I have with the drivers seat set for me too.

The pictures were very helpful
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      04-30-2019, 04:47 AM   #47
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

I've spent time driving both.

2000 miles in the x5. 1250 city, 750 highway.
500 x7; 400 city, 100 highway.

I'd say the x5 feels lighter on its feet, both locally and at speed. That's not an indictment of the x5, but rather testament to the fact that the x7 has a heft and comfort to it that is really appealing. Particularly at highway speeds where it feels super planted and quiet and comfortable and effortless.

x5 is the sportier rendition of the chassis, x7 the more luxurious and regal.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:49 AM   #48
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cragg View Post
how is the driving position comparing the X5 and X7?
coming from a Range Rover Sport the X5 feels really low
to me the x7 driving position is highly comparable to the larger range rover sibling. squared off front corners, tons of glass, expanses of leather and wood. angular interior design. height seems comparable too
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #49
wasabi911
Rep
Drives: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
So I just traded in a 2019 X5 40i for a X7 40i. You will see I posted a lot in that forum. Lets not talk about my depreciation... ouch. But the reason I did it, and this is just me. But I was won over by the way the X7 felt. I had a pretty fully loaded X5 and it was great. I agree it was more agile and sporty, but to me... not by a lot. Then I drove the X7 and had to play a game to find where something wasn't leather coated. The two tone blue/ivory was just so stunning. Even the door bins are leather coated and stitched. The back of the front seats and bins are leather wrapped. The roof was alcantara and the details just felt more luxurious. Even the cargo cover is alcantara. Granted most of it was carry over from the X5, but its just felt more special with those little touches. I am sure that will upset the X5 people and I don't mean it as a dig at all. The X5 was certainly more toss-able and playful. And I see why you would chose one every day over an X7 certainly given the price difference. But, I was looking for a luxury cruiser that was still fun and this ticked all the boxes. It made me miss the feel of my Range Rover less. For me it was the Rover without all the technical and electrical bugs. Do I miss the playfulness of the X5, some days for sure! But every time I get in this I cant imagine a vehicle on the road, at this price point, even coming close in terms of luxury and ride quality. Just my 2 cents.

Did your x5 also have air suspension? Test drove the x7 and loved the luxurious and quiet ride. However it’s just too big for me. The non air suspension x5 didn’t drive as nice. I wonder if adding air suspension and acoustic windows to the x5 would result in the same luxurious and quiet ride as the x7.
Did your x5 also have air suspension? Test drove the x7 and loved the luxurious and quiet ride. However it's just too big for me. The non air suspension x5 didn't drive as nice. I wonder if adding air suspension and acoustic windows to the x5 would result in the same luxurious and quiet ride as the x7.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #50
wasabi911
Rep
Drives: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
I've spent time driving both.

2000 miles in the x5. 1250 city, 750 highway.
500 x7; 400 city, 100 highway.

I'd say the x5 feels lighter on its feet, both locally and at speed. That's not an indictment of the x5, but rather testament to the fact that the x7 has a heft and comfort to it that is really appealing. Particularly at highway speeds where it feels super planted and quiet and comfortable and effortless.

x5 is the sportier rendition of the chassis, x7 the more luxurious and regal.
Did the x5 also have air suspension? Would adding air suspension and acoustic windows to the x5 would result in the same planted ride of the x7?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #51
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
Forgot to mention in my initial post that this vehicle doesn't need to also try scratch the sports car itch - have other motors for that.

More considering the X5 or X7 as a comfortable cruiser for longer journeys, whilst still having sufficient handling to ensure I don't regret taking the mountain pass route on my way!

I'm interested to hear what the unspecified features of the X7 are, that make it a better (more luxurious) vehicle that the X5. Like I mentioned, I noticed it has metallic window switchgear, for example, compared to the black plastic switches on the X5. I assume just the all-around fit and finish is a step above the X5 - but where? Or is it just a stretched version of the X5?
I have an X5. Custom ordered and delivered in June. It is a GREAT car for a long road trip. Without the third row seat it has a lot of cargo space.

I like big cars and would have considered an x7 if it was available at the time. But I don’t want a third row seat. I’ll never use it. I need cargo space.

The biggest problem with the X5 is the back seat. It can’t be moved or reclined. It is comfortable, but not very big. If you plan to take passengers on long trips, or have older children, that is something you should look at.

I plan to trade my car in a few years and will definitely look at the x7. The 40i engine has TONS of power. Here in the US a larger engine is completely worthless. At 90 mph with my 40i it feels like you are going 50. Very powerful and fast.

Like other people said, test drive them both. Honestly you don’t need to spend the extra $$$ for the larger engine. The luxury seats are wonderful, with ventilation and massage. I highly recommend them!
Appreciate 0