BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New GLS revealed

04-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

New GLS revealed

Would you consider the GLS have you not purchased your X7 already?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
kdesign7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i

No. I I know I said this in another thread but the interior is just not for me. The four vents right in the middle are so badly designed imo. Lots of other interior design features that I don't like. I know it's purely design but it's just that bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I just think the X7 interior is so much better. (Never thought I would say that) The MB is nice, but the seats and center console just don't compare. To me the seat style and small details are important. The X7 nails that perfectly. The angled door pieces and the way the center console has trim on both sides in the front... there was thought put into how that would look. The MB looks nice, but like a computer spit out an efficient design and they went with it. And the seats are just meh looking... bland with no style imo.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I'm waiting to see pricing on the GLS before deciding on which one I'll order.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I'm waiting to see pricing on the GLS before deciding on which one I'll order.
Expect pricing to be close.

The New GLS is 2" longer than the x7 and will be bigger inside.

Also running on air suspension.

The gls also has an electric assist motor to improve fuel economy.

It also has a heated 3rd row seat as an option.

Both the GLS and the X7 are nice choices in the segment. Choose what you like.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

No, I haven't bought a new car yet, but I will be buying the X7, not a GLS.

There's a few things I think are a little better in the GLS, even though I haven't seen one yet in person, like the center console for the 2nd row seats. From pics and vids, it looks like the GLS captain's chairs are a little better. And that the GLS captain's chairs can fold down.

But I just don't like the dashboard and center console design of the Mercedes. Those four air vents below a skateboard display on the dash? Yuck. I guess I just like the way BMW designs and builds stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I had a GLE 450 on order (fully loaded $96,850) and jumped ship on it to buy the X7. One reasons was the dash design. I wouldn't say the large twin display is ugly but the engineers could have done so much more to dress up the dash. There is no overhang on the top edge of the display which is odd looking to me. And the four vents is overkill. To each his own as what we're talking about here is personal preference but for me, the X7 dash design is far and away better looking and more functional than the GLE or the GLS coming this fall. The MBUX center console grab handles are not needed and make the console look smaller. The touch pad on the console is not so easy to use in a moving vehicle, I find the scroll wheel noticeably easier to use while driving. MBUX is more intelligent than iDrive 7 when it comes to the voice assistant and giving it various commands. I hope BMW is watching how well MB implemented those features and continues to improve the voice assistant in iDrive 7 with some OTA updates down the road.

But as I said before, MB builds a wonderful car and if you decide on a GLS you will no doubt be happy as I was with three different GL/GLS purchases over the past several years. The X7 is different, more exciting to drive and again, IMO, a better looking vehicle inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Expect pricing to be close.

The New GLS is 2" longer than the x7 and will be bigger inside.

Also running on air suspension.

The gls also has an electric assist motor to improve fuel economy.

It also has a heated 3rd row seat as an option.

Both the GLS and the X7 are nice choices in the segment. Choose what you like.
I was going to order a GLE450 but with a few options it came to $85k. I priced a X7 and it was only $86k with 3 years of free maintenance.

I think the GLS450 will likely easily exceed $90k Most likely $5k or so more than the X7.

Also the GLE450 is only rated for 19/24 mpg while the X7 40i is 20/25. I think the GLS450 will be lower than the GLE450 so maybe 17/23. So even though it has electric assist and 1 extra gear, it looks to be less efficient than the X7.

I'm leaning towards X7 but wife is leaning towards GLS. (She has X3 and is not impressed with BMW build quality the last few years).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #9
760Lifan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 4xe Summit R & Trailhawk

it just that over the last couple of years/models, Mercedes is just not "reaching me" any more in regards to their design language. from a technological aspect, those are still fine vehicles but I just don't feel "at home" in them.

It's hard to explain, but I prefer the atmosphere in a BMW and Audi.

For me, the same applies to Cadillac (especially their exterior design). It's just not for me. Ford/Lincoln and Chrysler/Jeep work, Caddy - not so much..

Don't know why but that's just how it is...

Last edited by 760Lifan; 04-20-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
I was going to order a GLE450 but with a few options it came to $85k. I priced a X7 and it was only $86k with 3 years of free maintenance.

I think the GLS450 will likely easily exceed $90k Most likely $5k or so more than the X7.

Also the GLE450 is only rated for 19/24 mpg while the X7 40i is 20/25. I think the GLS450 will be lower than the GLE450 so maybe 17/23. So even though it has electric assist and 1 extra gear, it looks to be less efficient than the X7.

I'm leaning towards X7 but wife is leaning towards GLS. (She has X3 and is not impressed with BMW build quality the last few years).
Either will be a great car but wait until you can actually test drive the new GLS and the X7 the same day. I've owned 2 GL 550's and a 17' GLS 550 and just bought a X7. I found it more exciting to drive, and IMO a better looking car inside and out. But to each his own and a test drive of each will tell you all you need to know to make a final decision. The new GLS should hit showrooms later this summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
Either will be a great car but wait until you can actually test drive the new GLS and the X7 the same day. I've owned 2 GL 550's and a 17' GLS 550 and just bought a X7. I found it more exciting to drive, and IMO a better looking car inside and out. But to each his own and a test drive of each will tell you all you need to know to make a final decision. The new GLS should hit showrooms later this summer.
Thanks Joema

Yeah I'm waiting till this fall when the GLS comes out to test drive it before making a decision.
I do like the way the X7 looks on the interior a bit more than the GLS.
As far as a more exciting drive, I'm over the days of wanting/needing sporty driving vehicles. This is to replace my E wagon and become the family hauler. With my bad back, comfortable ride is more my style now.
Dealer experience is something else I have to consider.
Local MB dealer has a great group of folks in the service dept, but sales is not that great. BMW on the other hand has a great sales guy I work with but their service needs a lot of improvement.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #12
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I had a GLE 450 on order (fully loaded $96,850) and jumped ship on it to buy the X7. One reasons was the dash design. I wouldn't say the large twin display is ugly but the engineers could have done so much more to dress up the dash. There is no overhang on the top edge of the display which is odd looking to me. And the four vents is overkill. To each his own as what we're talking about here is personal preference but for me, the X7 dash design is far and away better looking and more functional than the GLE or the GLS coming this fall. The MBUX center console grab handles are not needed and make the console look smaller. The touch pad on the console is not so easy to use in a moving vehicle, I find the scroll wheel noticeably easier to use while driving. MBUX is more intelligent than iDrive 7 when it comes to the voice assistant and giving it various commands. I hope BMW is watching how well MB implemented those features and continues to improve the voice assistant in iDrive 7 with some OTA updates down the road.

But as I said before, MB builds a wonderful car and if you decide on a GLS you will no doubt be happy as I was with three different GL/GLS purchases over the past several years. The X7 is different, more exciting to drive and again, IMO, a better looking vehicle inside and out.
I've seen a loaded GLE. Not only is it a poor value proposition at 97k but it looks nothing like a 97k vehicle should. Great decision, Joe
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

The new gen Merc SUV designs look weired to me, they are however killing it with their sedan designs
Appreciate 0