BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum What are some must haves for the X7?

04-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
TxBeem
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

What are some must haves for the X7?

I'm building my X7 and was just wondering if you wished you had added something or was glad you got it and couldn't live without it now.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
NorCal916
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBeem View Post
I'm building my X7 and was just wondering if you wished you had added something or was glad you got it and couldn't live without it now.
Well considering there is an entire thread about the "cold weather package" I'd say GET THE COLD WEATHER PACKAGE

Beware no AC vents in third row unless you get cold weather package. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1605296
Appreciate 1
VTENGR1043.50
      04-23-2019, 12:01 AM   #3
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:

What I got and like:

1. Parking assistant you will use this all the time.
2. Driving assistant professional, i love this!
3. Integral active steering, significantly tightens the turning radius.
4. Luxury seating

What I wish:

1. HUD, it was only part of the package when I ordered, but now separate.
2. Night vision, also not available when i ordered.
3. M sport brakes, not available standalone when I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Leather dash is a must have
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

1. Captain’s Chairs - infinitely more comfortable for second row passengers. (4U5)

2. Aluminum Running Boards - finishes the exterior look of the car and is essential for little ones getting in and out efficiently and safely. (328)

3. Base Support System - aka roof cross bars which are necessary for adding a cargo box which is a must have as there is no room for luggage if you have 6 or 7 passengers. (82-71-2-455-808)

4. All Weather Rubber Floor Mats - the OEM BMW versions are outstanding and have a nice low lip for water protection, I’ve sworn by them for years. I’ve also never paid for them- my dealer throws them in for free as a thank you, you just have to ask. Front Row Set: (51-47-2-458-551) Second Row Set: (51-47-2-458-555) Third Row (6 Seats): (51-47-2-458-557)
Appreciate 1
Cabby339.50
      04-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

These are all personal preferences but here you go:

Must haves:

1. Driving Assistant
2. Head Up Display
3. Parking Assistant
4. Luxury Leather seating

An option I would order next time:

1. Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System

Options I would pass on:

1. Running boards (unnecessary and often get your pant legs dirty)
2. Captains Chairs (the bench is very comfortable and provides a lot more cargo area)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Glass controls a $650 option now but if you regret not getting it(me) and want to order it after delivery it’s a looong wait and $1800 part with a install charge unknown. I love the look of the running boards and my grand kids use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
Glass controls a $650 option now but if you regret not getting it(me) and want to order it after delivery it’s a looong wait and $1800 part with a install charge unknown. I love the look of the running boards and my grand kids use it.
If you’re under 5’ tall (#me) and have smaller children, running boards are a must. I’m worried, however, that these aren’t going to be as helpful as they’ve been on my GLs in the past. My current GL’s running boards are a full 4” closer to the ground than those on the X7. BMW puts their boards almost even with the door sill, so it really isn’t a “step” like it was intended. We’ll see. I hope they work for me, cause I had to go with Luxury just to get them (not available on Sport).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missduvy View Post
If you’re under 5’ tall (#me) and have smaller children, running boards are a must. I’m worried, however, that these aren’t going to be as helpful as they’ve been on my GLs in the past. My current GL’s running boards are a full 4” closer to the ground than those on the X7. BMW puts their boards almost even with the door sill, so it really isn’t a “step” like it was intended. We’ll see. I hope they work for me, cause I had to go with Luxury just to get them (not available on Sport).
They have got to be mechanical running boards, the ones that hide-away. Then we probably could have "more step room request" resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I feel like HUD (Head Up Display) is a must-have for all cars. It should be wider and much bigger than what it is now. I would even prefer to have the whole colorful Instrument cluster displayed there in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #11
houstontx
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal916 View Post
Well considering there is an entire thread about the "cold weather package" I'd say GET THE COLD WEATHER PACKAGE

Beware no AC vents in third row unless you get cold weather package. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1605296
I just modified my order have it added. Never thought I'd need it in Houston heat.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
You make a very good argument for running boards which is why you need buy what suits your personal needs and not worry what others may think or say.

My recommendation to skip the running boards is based on past experience with them on all three of our GL/GLS's. We rarely if ever used them and they got my pant legs dirty all to often. I haven't actually tried them or even seen them on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
NorCal916
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal916 View Post

I just modified my order have it added. Never thought I'd need it in Houston heat.
You are not alone my friend...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
You make a very good argument for running boards which is why you need buy what suits your personal needs and not worry what others may think or say.

My recommendation to skip the running boards is based on past experience with them on all three of our GL/GLS's. We rarely if ever used them and they got my pant legs dirty all to often. I haven't actually tried them or even seen them on the X7.
They are only available on the non M Sport model.I tried using them on an X7 at my dealer and they are very narrow compared to the ones on the GLS.IMO they make getting out of the vehicle very difficult because they are to narrow to use as a step down,so you have to step over them.This makes it much more difficult getting out of the vehicle.I found them only useful for getting into the X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:

They are only available on the non M Sport model.I tried using them on an X7 at my dealer and they are very narrow compared to the ones on the GLS.IMO they make getting out of the vehicle very difficult because they are to narrow to use as a step down,so you have to step over them.This makes it much more difficult getting out of the vehicle.I found them only useful for getting into the X7.
If your X7 is equipped with the air suspension you can lower the vehicle to the lowest setting before getting in or out. My wife and I find that doing this makes the X7 the easiest SUV we've owned to get in and out of.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
Missduvy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Garage List
Quote:
If your X7 is equipped with the air suspension you can lower the vehicle to the lowest setting before getting in or out. My wife and I find that doing this makes the X7 the easiest SUV we've owned to get in and out of.
Can it be programmed to always be at the lower level when entering or exiting? That would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #17
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #18
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can it be programmed to always be at the lower level when entering or exiting? That would be ideal.
Unfortunately no, but that would be ideal if they made it available as a setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #19
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
I also lower the air suspension before getting out of my X7,which does make it much easier getting in and out of the vehicle.I wouldn't want the running boards anyway on my M Sport.I much prefer the look of the X7 without them.I'm pretty sure that air suspension is standard on the X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
LittleJoe
Major
Rep

Quote:
I also lower the air suspension before getting out of my X7,which does make it much easier getting in and out of the vehicle.I wouldn't want the running boards anyway on my M Sport.I much prefer the look of the X7 without them.I'm pretty sure that air suspension is standard on the X7.
You're right, it's standard on all X7 models.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #21
dmann33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontx View Post
Was in Houston early this month (April!!) and it was cold as h#((. I live in GA. While not a cold climate, its still plenty cold in winter.

Musts/not optional for us:

1) Driving assistant (it'll save you someday)
2) Cold weather package
3) Towing - for $750 the X7 is a beast with 7500 capacity.

Other very worthy adds
1) Night Vision
2) DHP with integral active steering
3) HUD
4) Merino
5) $150 spare
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately no, but that would be ideal if they made it available as a setting.
Its bad. Its got to be a part of Profile Settings where you can setup per user.
Appreciate 0