BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum New headlights too bright... at first?

01-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #23
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Note if you have LED with Laserlight, it's recommended using the headlight adjustment device and test instrument rather than DIY lowering the beams.

Headlight adjust process for X7 with LED - assuming LED with Laserlights are the same:

LED (automatic headlight beam throw adjustment): Wait 80 s after switching on lights. During this time, do not move the vehicle, avoid vibrations and wheels straight.

Name:  1VncunSLoJ.png
Views: 768
Size:  47.5 KB
  • Remove the cover above the adjusting screws for the headlight adjustment.
  • Adjust the height at the adjusting screw (1).
  • US version: Set the lateral adjustment only if the plug on the adjusting screw for lateral adjustment is missing or damaged.
    Remove damaged plug if necessary (refer to additional information).
  • Turn adjusting screw (2) for a correct lateral adjustment.
  • US version: If the lateral adjustment has been checked or corrected: Renew plugs and push into the adjusting screw for the lateral adjustment without damaging it (see additional information).
  • Install the cover above the adjusting screws for the headlight adjustment.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ent/1Vnd6uHjdn

Tool required:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ent/1VndDVWaSD

Name:  1VndLpNZUb.png
Views: 589
Size:  11.1 KB

Additional notes:
US version: Setting the horizontal blocking when headlamp is set
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ent/1VndRDFuly

US version: Remove the horizontal blocking before adjusting the headlamp
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ent/1VndDVWaSD

Test requirements for headlights vertical aim adjustment
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...tment/1LZw6Z4R

Last edited by Auricom; 01-03-2020 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #24
swissguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfoundnemo View Post
So I have the standard LED / non-laserlights in my car, but driving around at night I'm noticing quite a few more people than normal flashing their lights at me like I'm blinding them with my high-beams. Obviously this isn't the case, and I typically go ahead and flash my high-beams at them to let them know I'm not intentionally being a douche, but it just got wondering and realizing this is typically the case when I get a new car, then the occurrence tends to "fade".

My other car (F80 M3) also has the adaptive LED lights and I noticed this a lot at first there too, now I might only get it if I happened to be catching someone at a bad angle. This was also certainly the case when I had my first factory halogen lights on a new car 20 years ago, or really probably for every new car I have had since that point.

Obviously lights have become brighter, with wider angles, and have been a bluer light over the last several years, however, I can't say these lights are currently much different than the M3 other than the shape and height. So is it just me, or is there some combination of the lights leveling more, scratches on the lenses, and perhaps some literal dimming of the intensity of the light over say the first 5000 miles that makes me less annoying to others?
It is because the low beams are a 4 headlight system so when people see 4 headlights on they assume you have your brights on. the high beams just add to that
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #25
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I would speculate that your headlights are aligned properly at the factory. I personally would not manually adjust them, but if you are really concerned they are misaligned, have the dealer take a look at the alignment. What I think you are experiencing is the fact that headlights with LED technology are just that much brighter than halogens - yet the standard alignment for low beams (in accordance with DOT regulations) remains the same. I have noticed more cars on the road with very bright LED headlights (which appear to be high beams) during normal city driving, but I am pretty sure most people are not running around with their high beams on all of the time.

Think about it, bright LEDs coming at you on a slight hill can look like high beams, even though they are not. I think the drivers that are flashing you are confusing very bright LEDs with high beams. My F80 has LEDs, is 3 yrs old now, and I still sometimes get flashed as well with my low beams on. Or, those drivers that are flashing you are giving you the universal signal that there is a cop further up the road ....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
Auricom4349.50
      02-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #26
pellet8
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
It is because the low beams are a 4 headlight system so when people see 4 headlights on they assume you have your brights on. the high beams just add to that
I think this is exactly why. I had a rare situation where I was able to ask one of the guys who flashed at me. He confirmed that this was his thoughts. So, now the question, Any way to turn two of them off?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #27
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellet8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissguy View Post
I think this is exactly why. I had a rare situation where I was able to ask one of the guys who flashed at me. He confirmed that this was his thoughts. So, now the question, Any way to turn two of them off?
No, there's no way to turn off the inner LED light units.

But here's how to access the harness if you want to DIY, enjoy:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ght/1VncaKPOSy

Appreciate 0