BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 M50i Turbo Whining noise

01-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C, 2020 BMW X7 M50i

X7 M50i Turbo Whining noise

I hear some whining noise from the engine and it's more noticeable in sports mode during gear changes. It's very obvious with windows down and the hissing/whining noise sounds like a turbo spool. It sometimes go away and then comes back.

The other issues are continuous rattling sound of panoramic roof coming from the dividing bar above the drivers head. If I put some pressure pushing it upwards the sound disappears, so I hope it needs tightening of some screws. The second row leather cover came off under the leg with some plastic connect. I tried and pushed it inwards but not sure if it's secured properly.

I feel quality control is something BMW should look into before rolling out cars from factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
G80POWER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vink View Post
I hear some whining noise from the engine and it's more noticeable in sports mode during gear changes. It's very obvious with windows down and the hissing/whining noise sounds like a turbo spool. It sometimes go away and then comes back.

The other issues are continuous rattling sound of panoramic roof coming from the dividing bar above the drivers head. If I put some pressure pushing it upwards the sound disappears, so I hope it needs tightening of some screws. The second row leather cover came off under the leg with some plastic connect. I tried and pushed it inwards but not sure if it's secured properly.

I feel quality control is something BMW should look into before rolling out cars from factory.
The whining/hissing noise you describing from the turbos is very normal and sounds like just normal turbo spooling. This is one of my favorite characteristics of turbo cars. It will definitely be more noticeable in sport and sport plus modes where rpms are held higher.

That doesn’t sound like any issue there but your other complaint about the pano roof sounds like something I would take it in for to be checked on. I’m sure that is something that can be fixed. I thought I had seems another thread where someone was having a similar issue but can’t remember for sure. I haven’t experienced this in ours yet but I just picked it up a week ago.

Good luck with that one and keep us posted on what you find out
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90POWER View Post
Quote:

The whining/hissing noise you describing from the turbos is very normal and sounds like just normal turbo spooling. This is one of my favorite characteristics of turbo cars. It will definitely be more noticeable in sport and sport plus modes where rpms are held higher.

That doesn't sound like any issue there but your other complaint about the pano roof sounds like something I would take it in for to be checked on. I'm sure that is something that can be fixed. I thought I had seems another thread where someone was having a similar issue but can't remember for sure. I haven't experienced this in ours yet but I just picked it up a week ago.

Good luck with that one and keep us posted on what you find out
I'm okay with the turbo sound as long as it's normal!
I had a similar rattling noise on Panamera panoramic roof but it only happened in turns and bumps and the SA found a loose screw that was tightened. I'm not sure about X7 since it's a continuous noise and right above my head Will update once I get it to service.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Rattling sound from Panoramic roof was resolved today by applying some grease and tightening it up again. Second row seat leather cover which was coming off was re-installed. The whining sound is something they were not able to figure out and I may live with it as it only comes in sports plus mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

I have the same rattling noise with the sunroof. Can you tell me if yours has been resolved now that it has been a few days? How long did it take to fix? I wonder if I can just take it in and have them do it on the spot. Can you tell me exactly what they did so I can show the dealership here? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #6
vink
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptekcom View Post
I have the same rattling noise with the sunroof. Can you tell me if yours has been resolved now that it has been a few days? How long did it take to fix? I wonder if I can just take it in and have them do it on the spot. Can you tell me exactly what they did so I can show the dealership here? Thanks in advance.
Here you go! I don't have the rattling noise anymore. I got a call within an hour or so! Not sure how much time did they actually take to fix it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
aptekcom
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S BMW X7

Quote:
Here you go! I don't have the rattling noise anymore. I got a call within an hour or so! Not sure how much time did they actually take to fix it.
Thank you!!
Appreciate 0