BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Need Advice - Please help - May be cancelling order

02-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #23
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
This is the fundamental issue I have with BMW - we are all scared of owning a BMW out of warranty due to stories like this ... so we end up rewarding them by buying another product from them every few years. If they can’t make a product that is reliable, at this cost, for 75k miles - let’s leave. I really enjoy driving their cars - but the ownership experience is not fun and flat out scary over 60k miles.
YMMV, but I have had very good overall reliability post warranty with the 6 BMWs (and 1 Mini) I have owned/currently own (knock on wood ) - average of 8+ years and 100k+ miles over all of them. Not everyone is scared to own a BMW out of warranty. But then, good reliability after warranty does not mean zero cost either - things can and do break on any car even if you take good care of it (but many don't).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
This is the fundamental issue I have with BMW - we are all scared of owning a BMW out of warranty due to stories like this ... so we end up rewarding them by buying another product from them every few years. If they can't make a product that is reliable, at this cost, for 75k miles - let's leave. I really enjoy driving their cars - but the ownership experience is not fun and flat out scary over 60k miles.
YMMV, but I have had very good overall reliability post warranty with the 6 BMWs (and 1 Mini) I have owned/currently own (knock on wood ) - average of 8+ years and 100k+ miles over all of them. Not everyone is scared to own a BMW out of warranty. But then, good reliability after warranty does not mean zero cost either - things can and do break on any car even if you take good care of it (but many don't).
I think jmciver said it best: it's not without cost.

You can't have your cake and eat it too; there is no free lunch. everything costs something. If you want a warranty, you have to pay new car prices. If you want to fix old cars, you have to be a mechanic or pay mechanic prices.

when you buy a new house or an old house; there is a reason they cost 2 different prices all else being the same.

No free lunches.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      03-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #25
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
If you want to buy for the longer term past warranty but you still have a bad taste in your mouth afther the post warranty issues with your 5-series, then I would recommend you go with the 6-cyl engine in the 40i and not the V-8. The reliability of the V-8 (N63/S63) is not as good as the I-6 in general (in this case the B58 in the 40i). If you do a basic internet search you will see what I mean. Not saying that the N63/S63 is a turd of an engine, it is not from a performance perspective. But it has had it's share of more reliability issues in general than it's smaller siblings in the I-6 family of BMW engines.
I will say yes, jmciver's right--it's stuff like this thread that makes me re-think looking at the M50i, and more at the 40i, when looking to keep my upcoming X7 purchase for 10+ years. BMW does have a much better longevity track record with their I6 engines than the V-8's.

I've owned my current I-6 330i for 16 years now, and it's been so maintenance free, it's amazing.
Appreciate 1