BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Tyres on older stock vehicles

04-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Hi All

Amongst many BMW topics running through my head during lockdown.

By the time I take delivery of my X7 it will be approaching 11 months from build.

I've been considering a couple of tyre issues. Firstly potential flat spots as a result of being parked for a long time (I'm told dealers generally take steps to avoid this but not always possible). It might sound a stupid question but are flat spots always immediately apparent ? Anyone any experience?

Secondly does anyone have any idea of the typical age of tyres at build ? In the UAE you cannot use tyres beyond 5 years from tyre manufacture, so I'm already almost 1 year into that plus any time before build. On the basis of both potential issues I'm very tempted to ask for a new set of tyres before I take delivery.

To be clear, I've verbally agreed a deal and only placed a small holding deposit due to current situation, so still have some room to negotiate.

Would value any thoughts or experiences
      04-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Hi All

Amongst many BMW topics running through my head during lockdown.

By the time I take delivery of my X7 it will be approaching 11 months from build.

I've been considering a couple of tyre issues. Firstly potential flat spots as a result of being parked for a long time (I'm told dealers generally take steps to avoid this but not always possible). It might sound a stupid question but are flat spots always immediately apparent ? Anyone any experience?

Secondly does anyone have any idea of the typical age of tyres at build ? In the UAE you cannot use tyres beyond 5 years from tyre manufacture, so I'm already almost 1 year into that plus any time before build. On the basis of both potential issues I'm very tempted to ask for a new set of tyres before I take delivery.

To be clear, I've verbally agreed a deal and only placed a small holding deposit due to current situation, so still have some room to negotiate.

Would value any thoughts or experiences
How much do you expect to drive per year? If you drive more than 10k miles/16k kms per year you will definitely need to replace the tires before the time limit is up.

Usually for car builds, the tires are fairly recently manufactured if the supply chain is tight.

When the car arrives at the dealership, go and check the manufacture date on the tire. If it is more than 2 years old at that point I would think it is reasonable to try and work something out with the dealer.
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      04-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
How much do you expect to drive per year? If you drive more than 10k miles/16k kms per year you will definitely need to replace the tires before the time limit is up.

Usually for car builds, the tires are fairly recently manufactured if the supply chain is tight.

When the car arrives at the dealership, go and check the manufacture date on the tire. If it is more than 2 years old at that point I would think it is reasonable to try and work something out with the dealer.
I would hope they wont be 2+ years ...... reality is my mileage will be close and Im fussy with tyres anyway so Im prone to changing early, that said my use of the vehicle could drop for some reason and Im then forced to change or Id rather not be forced to change just before selling (a set for the X7 is currently around $2300 here).

Im probably way over thinking this as I have far too much time on my hands at the moment
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

To test for flat spots, take the car out for a drive. At moderate to high speeds if the tires have flat spots you'll notice a slight shake in the steering wheel. It usually goes away after a few miles as the tires warm up.

As far as tire age, most manufacturers these days use just in time manufacturing so parts arrive shortly before they are installed. So your tires should be only a few weeks to a month or two older than the assembly date of the car.

Modern run flat tires don't have very good tread wear, typically 20k to 30k miles. So it's likely you will wear it out before the 5 year mark if you drive any significant amount.
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      04-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So I was curious and just took a look at the age of my tires vs build date as I just took delivery a few weeks ago at the end of March... All four tires were built in 4619 (printed on the side of the tire), which is the 46th week in 2019 (or Nov 2019). My X7 has a build date of Jan 2020.

But for the OP, as others have basically alluded to, I would not worry about it too much....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
UKMS110.00
      04-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #6
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Mine was 1 month older than manufacturing date.
Usually in UAE that's a little longer, it was 3-4 months old with Lexus, Toyota and Porsche out of first hand experience. I would assume bmw would be in the same ballpark. Anything more than 6 months simply ask the dealer to refresh them for you, they have many ways of returning them back the the tyres agent.