F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N57 limits with DPF - compared
ARMA SPEED

11-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
JainJude
Rep
Drives: BMW

N57 limits with DPF - compared

Hello everyone,,
Recently I've been again exploring hybrid options on my F36 435d. I found few companies doing hybrids. When asking about options - its two things:
1. 400hp with DPF
2. 450+hp w/o DPF - 500+ with meth

My questions are:
1) What is the limit of N57 with DPF? I can't have the car smoke so need to keep that in
2) How come B57 can get much more with DPF still in place? I.e. B57 in m550d (g30) pushes 400hp stock with DPF. And in this video, pretty reputable german tuner found it was doing 417hp stock and pushed it to 520hp I still think with DPF intact. Video here (btw here they pushed it to 320kph) and autotopnl review here and acceleration test here

Is the DPF in m550d G30 less restrictive? If so - could I swap it in? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i N54 19t FBO Pump + Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JainJude View Post
Hello everyone,,
Recently I've been again exploring hybrid options on my F36 435d. I found few companies doing hybrids. When asking about options - its two things:
1. 400hp with DPF
2. 450+hp w/o DPF - 500+ with meth

My questions are:
1) What is the limit of N57 with DPF? I can't have the car smoke so need to keep that in
2) How come B57 can get much more with DPF still in place? I.e. B57 in m550d (g30) pushes 400hp stock with DPF. And in this video, pretty reputable german tuner found it was doing 417hp stock and pushed it to 520hp I still think with DPF intact. Video here (btw here they pushed it to 320kph) and autotopnl review here and acceleration test here

Is the DPF in m550d G30 less restrictive? If so - could I swap it in? Thanks!

With the DPF its a bit of a mystery. Tuners will tell you it needs to come off and to fit a down pipe for over 400HP. I also got told it needs to be a down pipe and you cant tune the engine with a gutted DPF but i get told by a different tuner thats OK. I also know of someone who ran 450 HP with DPF on and meth so the DPF can do more that 400HP im sure. How much is hard to say. The B57 uses a different DPF part number so maybe flows better. There is also a cat that can be removed that sits in front of the DPF that might improve flow a little.

I would be very interested to know what could be done with water (water not water/meth) injection and a hybrid turbo (dpf on), after that if fueling was an issue adding a m550d fuel pump.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      12-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
With the DPF its a bit of a mystery. Tuners will tell you it needs to come off and to fit a down pipe for over 400HP. I also got told it needs to be a down pipe and you cant tune the engine with a gutted DPF but i get told by a different tuner thats OK. I also know of someone who ran 450 HP with DPF on and meth so the DPF can do more that 400HP im sure. How much is hard to say. The B57 uses a different DPF part number so maybe flows better. There is also a cat that can be removed that sits in front of the DPF that might improve flow a little.

I would be very interested to know what could be done with water (water not water/meth) injection and a hybrid turbo (dpf on), after that if fueling was an issue adding a m550d fuel pump.
Yeah, I'm going to talk to few of them too. I don't understand it myself. Will try to talk to the guys from mcchip what is their take on it. I tried asking the tuners in Romania who work with the upgraded turbos - they just said of course meth helps and water too. But didn't give me numbers. I saw guys here running close to 400 with stock turbo and DPF still in so I wager with upgraded turbo it must go over. I guess tuners are just used to the fast that if one tunes a diesel hardcore (as in stage 3) - almost everybody just automatically goes for a downpipe :/
Appreciate 0