F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Glow plug removal n57 435dx
GetBMWParts

11-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i N54 19t FBO Pump + Meth

Glow plug removal n57 435dx

Hello,

Just been out to attempt replacing glow plug 1 as I had a code saying its outside the resistance spec and I'm also have an issue where the DPF is not getting hot enough during regeneration so its taking longer than normal to do a regeneration. First thing to try is this glow plug as it's only a tenner for a new one.

My question is how the feck do you get the wire/connector off the top of the glow plug?

BMW manual says I need a special tool. I have the version 2 connector. Do I really need that tool and if so what does it actually do apart from grip it? Is there a catch/pin that needs compressed or should it just pull off?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...plugs/Kmbb2aAI

Any advice welcome!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep

OK so i managed to get the connector off with some valve stem pliers off ebay. It just requires a good tug!

Problem i have now is that when i replaced it (with a bosch) and tried to activate them:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...plugs/Kmbb2aAI

It tells me that it cant activate them because different types are installed so i bought the exact same one that i took out (BERU) and its still staying that different types are installed. My next thing to try is to replace all of them (in case one of the other ones is a different brand) but thought first i would ask if anyone has replace only one glow plug before and know what i might be doing wrong?

Strange thing is they still work to start the car (even with the code to say they are different) but the DPF regeneration is not getting past 450c - it needs 550c.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Why do the glow plugs need to be operating for a DPF regen ?

I thought that an active regen was created via fuelling into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, or directly into the exhaust system after the turbo.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Why do the glow plugs need to be operating for a DPF regen ?

I thought that an active regen was created via fuelling into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, or directly into the exhaust system after the turbo.
https://youtu.be/Q4aI0-xIQsc

See above link. Apparently the glow plugs are used to raise the temp where its below spec during the regen process but I'm beginning to question that logic as I can't see any mention of it in the ISTA manual when I looked today. Mentioned to check the swirl flaps though if it's not regenerating correctly. I have mine deleted but so have many without problems.

Its just confusing me now. My Egt's in general seem really low, today for instance under WOT the before DPF the temps only got to 300c, normal driving is at 200-220 on the motorway, even lower in town which seems very low to me! I even checked the temp sensors where the right way round.

Does anyone know what Egt's they get on the N57? I Google the M57 and can see the EGTs' are way higher in normal driving. Like 400-500c.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I have a 330d N57. My EGTs are typically 180-300C with normal driving, 550-650C with hard driving. DPF regen tends to increase temps to 550C.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I have a 330d N57. My EGTs are typically 180-300C with normal driving, 550-650C with hard driving. DPF regen tends to increase temps to 550C.
I took it for a hard WOT run tonight. Did about 6 hard pulls 10mph to 80mph and got about 600c at the DPF and it started to do a passive regen. The temps must be normal as its about what you say apart from the regen. I will try the glow plugs first.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0