11-22-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

BCP Module is dead

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
After 5 days bricked at the dealer, finally got the word that the BCP (Battery Control Protocol) module of my X7 is dead. Took the car for a simple software update and now car is dead. Dealer says the part is in back order and they have no idea when it will be available. It could take days, weeks or months and there is nothing they can do to expedite it. Car is 4 months old and has less than 2k miles. 🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
nighthawk4900
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 x40I LCI

Ah. I know the pain. Thankfully my dealer let me keep a x5 loaner for 3 months and then covered 2 months lease … maybe you can try that
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 08:43 PM   #3
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk4900 View Post
Ah. I know the pain. Thankfully my dealer let me keep a x5 loaner for 3 months and then covered 2 months lease … maybe you can try that
Paid the car cash so not sure what they plan to do. If it takes longer than 30 days they will get a call from lawyer about Lemon Law.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:59 PM   #4
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
After 5 days bricked at the dealer, finally got the word that the BCP (Battery Control Protocol) module of my X7 is dead. Took the car for a simple software update and now car is dead. Dealer says the part is in back order and they have no idea when it will be available. It could take days, weeks or months and there is nothing they can do to expedite it. Car is 4 months old and has less than 2k miles. 🤷🏻*♂️
So the car was fine when you dropped it off at the dealership, only to be told 5 days later the car was no longer running while in their possession? Sounds like a newbie tech was assigned a software update and bricked it.
You’re more patient than me, I would’ve called an attorney immediately once they told me they have no eta on the repair.
They’re angling to fix the vehicle and hope you don’t mind the loss of use. Time is money.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:20 PM   #5
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
So the car was fine when you dropped it off at the dealership, only to be told 5 days later the car was no longer running while in their possession? Sounds like a newbie tech was assigned a software update and bricked it.
You’re more patient than me, I would’ve called an attorney immediately once they told me they have no eta on the repair.
They’re angling to fix the vehicle and hope you don’t mind the loss of use. Time is money.
Car downloaded a software update but I kept getting a message that I could not be installed because the starter battery was too low. After 3 weeks getting that message I decided to take it to the dealer so they could install the software there. I waited 5 hours and was told a few times they were having trouble with the update to finally be told that because they could not install the software the car was no longer functioning and wouldn't even start. So yes, the car was working perfectly fine until I decided to take it there to update the stupid software. Fast forward 5 days after they claim a BMW engineer has been remotely connected to the car they found out the BCP module is dead and needs to be replaced. That module is not available anywhere in the US and not in Germany. It is backordered. Thus, it may take who knows how long for the part to become available. Now, new cars are being produced daily with this module so the part is available for new cars but not for the ones that need it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:26 PM   #6
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Sorry OP. Hope they resolve quickly. This is the general problem with “just in time” inventory management… no spares for failures. Makes logical sense to rip one out of another new X7 that’s unsold or on the used lot, but they won’t do that. It will cost them more to make you wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:47 PM   #7
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Sorry OP. Hope they resolve quickly. This is the general problem with “just in time” inventory management… no spares for failures. Makes logical sense to rip one out of another new X7 that’s unsold or on the used lot, but they won’t do that. It will cost them more to make you wait.
I asked them to swap with the one in the loaner they gave me. They claim the part is registered to the VIN# of teach car and thus cannot be taken from one car and placed in another one. I am sure it could be done if they wanted but they don't. I will wait until next week and will start exploring legal options.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #8
ddv2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
I am sure it could be done if they wanted but they don't. I will wait until next week and will start exploring legal options.
I am sure that module swap not covered by the warranty and BMW will refuse to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 12:58 PM   #9
cochese
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv2005 View Post
I am sure that module swap not covered by the warranty and BMW will refuse to pay for it.
Car has less than 2k miles and was bricked while in possession of their service dept. Seems pretty clear cut to me. If there’s anything other than full replacement of part plus an apology I’d be exploring legal options.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 01:29 PM   #10
ddv2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochese View Post
Car has less than 2k miles and was bricked while in possession of their service dept. Seems pretty clear cut to me. If there’s anything other than full replacement of part plus an apology I’d be exploring legal options.
It does not matter at all. BMW will not pay for work to remove old module from another car even if it is dealership car. Also warranty provided by BMW but not a dealership and dealership like a contractor that works on behalf of BMW. And absolutely no legal ways to force 3rd party to disassemble own car to fix your car on behalf of another party. It is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 01:31 PM   #11
cochese
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddv2005 View Post
It does not matter at all. BMW will not pay for work to remove old module from another car even if it is dealership car. Also warranty provided by BMW but not a dealership and dealership like a contractor that works on behalf of BMW. And absolutely no legal ways to force 3rd party to disassemble own car to fix your car on behalf of another party. It is ridiculous.
Oh, you said module swap, didn’t realize you were only talking from a lot car. Sure then.
Appreciate 0