BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum I think I made a mistake test driving a fully optioned X7 M50i.....

07-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I think I made a mistake test driving a fully optioned X7 M50i.....

I test drove a base model X7 40i at first launch and it felt a bit too big. Fast forward and the owner of my dealership ordered in 2 fully loaded X7 M50i. One for his personal car and one to sell. I test drove this beast and I was blown away. Unbelievable how effective DHP hides the size of the X7. Better yet when in “comfort”, it was the smoothest riding luxury SUV, I have driven. The DHP in my X5 works very well but the longer wheel base of the X7 seems to take advantage of hiding its size/weight more. Even worse is this totally optioned out X7 M50i is in my ideal color spec. Sapphire black/shadow line with Tartufo interior. It’s a buyers market now so I am going to make a move on it. My kids will love the rear entertainment and captains chairs of our long family road trips. I just like it as a opulent luxury/muscle car.

On a side note, I also test drove a 750i and M850i. I just didn’t care for the lower driving position for my luxury car and the lack of room kills it. I have a M2C when I want to really tear up the back roads.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-27-2020 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
Wild Blue3683.50
Ilyam5894.50
BigHunk269.50
      07-27-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I test drove a base model X7 40i at first launch and it felt a bit too big. Fast forward and the owner of my dealership ordered in 2 fully loaded X7 M50i. One for his personal car and one to sell. I test drove this beast and I was blown away. Unbelievable how effective DHP hides the size of the X7. Better yet when in "comfort", it was the smoothest riding luxury SUV, I have driven. The DHP in my X5 works very well but the longer wheel base of the X7 seems to take advantage of hiding its size/weight more. Even worse is this totally optioned out X7 M50i is in my ideal color spec. Sapphire black/shadow line with Tartufo interior. It's a buyers market now so I am going to make a move on it. My kids will love the rear entertainment and captains chairs of our long family road trips. I just like it as a opulent luxury/muscle car.

On a side note, I also test drove a 750i and M850i. I just didn't care for the lower driving position for my luxury car and the lack of room kills it. I have a M2C when I want to really tear up the back roads.
It's the best car I've ever owned all around. Civil, smooth, and great highway cruiser. Beast at the drop of a dime when the kids aren't in the back seat.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      07-28-2020, 01:11 AM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

LOL congrats!

I did the same when the X7 was introduced - ride, handling are exceptional for a large SAV. In the end I couldn't justify being single and owning a large SAV, maybe next lease in 2.5 years.

Appreciate 1
MystroX56289.50
      07-28-2020, 06:15 AM   #4
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
I test drove a base model X7 40i at first launch and it felt a bit too big. Fast forward and the owner of my dealership ordered in 2 fully loaded X7 M50i. One for his personal car and one to sell. I test drove this beast and I was blown away. Unbelievable how effective DHP hides the size of the X7. Better yet when in “comfort”, it was the smoothest riding luxury SUV, I have driven. The DHP in my X5 works very well but the longer wheel base of the X7 seems to take advantage of hiding its size/weight more. Even worse is this totally optioned out X7 M50i is in my ideal color spec. Sapphire black/shadow line with Tartufo interior. It’s a buyers market now so I am going to make a move on it. My kids will love the rear entertainment and captains chairs of our long family road trips. I just like it as a opulent luxury/muscle car.

On a side note, I also test drove a 750i and M850i. I just didn’t care for the lower driving position for my luxury car and the lack of room kills it. I have a M2C when I want to really tear up the back roads.
That's a unicorn like mine...I would make a move on that before someone else snaps it up!! We all know a fully loaded 2020 M50i is going to be hard to find now and they will be the only ones with Night vision, ambient air, RES etc. since 2021 doesn't have that anymore.

That would be my second choice color combination since I already own a black sapphire BMW. It's a great color!!

I'm doing a M50i TBII/Ivory, fully loaded as well and should be arriving this week. Funny part is I've never driven the M50i or one with the DHP's Active Steering so I'm so curious to see how it all feels when put together. I'll know in a week!!
Appreciate 2
MystroX56289.50
GlennC321.00
      07-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Thanks guys. I was not aware they eliminated so many options for the 2021 builds. That’s ridiculous to do this at this level of vehicle. I see Tartufo and other options are on back order but maybe many won’t make it for 2021 builds at all???
Since this particular X7 was ordered to the owners spec and he owns about every German luxury brand dealership, it had to be completely fully “loaded” without exception. He drives a Bentley, Maybach and 760, etc...
I hear he always orders 2 of every top spec vehicle he drives. One to drive and one as a back up to sell as a “halo vehicle” . This X7 stickers/optioned out at the $123K range.

I got to spend the entire day test driving the new X7 M50i. I was even able to drive it home and park it in my garage to see the size difference. I was hyper critical in the test drive of every thing as it’s a lot more expensive than my loaded 2019 X5 50i M-Sport and needed to see where the extra money goes besides the additional size.

I love the new G05 platform and I can tell the G07 takes it to a new level. It has a completely different personality and road presence than the G05 but their similar DNA is unmistakable. My X5 50i M-Sport feels more athletic where the X7 M50i feels more opulent and like a ultra luxury muscle car. Very much a “Large and in charge” feel.
It’s fun comparing both new platforms back to back. Power and speed between the X7 M50i feels about identical to my X5 50i M-Sport. The new engine and additional hp/torque in the M50i makes up for the larger size of the X7. I will draggy the new X7 M50i. I am guessing it’s a honest 4 second 0-60mph at my elevation. I could get 3.97 from my X5 50i M-Sport. I will say the extra level of build quality like the switches and additional sound insulation is noticeable between the two. This rear entertainment is outstanding in quality and versatility. I will stream Disney+, Hulu, etc... through it for my kids. It has surprisingly a lot of control over the entire X7 from the back seat. You can tell it’s more executive/limo than basic kids entertainment. I will have to limit that extra control from my kids. Sky lounge is awesome. I had a movie playing and sat back in the captains chairs with the sky lounge on. It’s next level cool and the Bower and Wilkins surround in any seating position is outstanding. The entire experience feels so opulent and over the top compared to anything out there at any price point. I played around with the night vision and it’s resolution looks really good on the iDrive screen. The rear trailer hitch option is low enough and hides its self good enough. I typically wouldn’t have got this option as I have a dedicated truck for pulling the boat but I guess the trailer hitch has a lot of advantages on the X7 (bike rack, etc..). I hear the rear brakes may be a bit bigger with the hitch option but I don’t know if that’s true??? I love the rich color of the Merino Tartufo and it works just as well with the Piano Black trim. Coming from Merino Ivory and Piano Black, it’s a nice change and should be a touch easier to care for in color. I have 3 sets of optional floor mats that come with the vehicle. The air ride suspension with the DHP is amazing and the difference in ride between “Sport” and “Comfort” is significantly more dramatic than in my X5. It’s like the X7 turns into a different vehicle in size,feel, and comfort. I am looking forward to comparing the two G05/G07 when I get more time after finalizing the deal today. My X5 is being traded in for the X7 but I have had a lot of time and two very long family road trips in the X5 to give a good ownership comparison report. I will get into the iDrive 7 differences between 2019 and 2020. There are some differences but with all the extra toys in this X7, I need some time to go through it all.

This is going bye,bye and will be a hell of a X5 build for its new owner.

Quick pic of the new beast on its test drive visit to my home. Wait until I detail this paint properly.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-28-2020 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 8
Auricom4361.50
MomoM3987.00
Wild Blue3683.50
ChiTownM1062.00
GlennC321.00
BigHunk269.50
X54TH899.00
      07-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Great choice!

Congrats!
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #7
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was not aware they eliminated so many options for the 2021 builds. That's ridiculous to do this at this level of vehicle. I see Tartufo and other options are on back order but maybe many won't make it for 2021 builds at all???
Since this particular X7 was ordered to the owners spec and he owns about every German luxury brand dealership, it had to be completely fully "loaded" without exception. He drives a Bentley, Maybach and 760, etc...
I hear he always orders 2 of every top spec vehicle he drives. One to drive and one as a back up to sell as a "halo vehicle" . This X7 stickers/optioned out at the $123K range.

I got to spend the entire day test driving the new X7 M50i. I was even able to drive it home and park it in my garage to see the size difference. I was hyper critical in the test drive of every thing as it's a lot more expensive than my loaded 2019 X5 50i M-Sport and needed to see where the extra money goes besides the additional size.

I love the new G05 platform and I can tell the G07 takes it to a new level. It has a completely different personality and road presence than the G05 but their similar DNA is unmistakable. My X5 50i M-Sport feels more athletic where the X7 M50i feels more opulent and like a ultra luxury muscle car. Very much a "Large and in charge" feel.
It's fun comparing both new platforms back to back. Power and speed between the X7 M50i feels about identical to my X5 50i M-Sport. The new engine and additional hp/torque in the M50i makes up for the larger size of the X7. I will draggy the new X7 M50i. I am guessing it's a honest 4 second 0-60mph at my elevation. I could get 3.97 from my X5 50i M-Sport. I will say the extra level of build quality like the switches and additional sound insulation is noticeable between the two. This rear entertainment is outstanding in quality and versatility. I will stream Disney+, Hulu, etc... through it for my kids. It has surprisingly a lot of control over the entire X7 from the back seat. You can tell it's more executive/limo than basic kids entertainment. I will have to limit that extra control from my kids. Sky lounge is awesome. I had a movie playing and sat back in the captains chairs with the sky lounge on. It's next level cool and the Bower and Wilkins surround in any seating position is outstanding. The entire experience feels so opulent and over the top compared to anything out there at any price point. I played around with the night vision and it's resolution looks really good on the iDrive screen. The rear trailer hitch option is low enough and hides its self good enough. I typically wouldn't have got this option as I have a dedicated truck for pulling the boat but I guess the trailer hitch has a lot of advantages on the X7 (bike rack, etc..). I hear the rear brakes may be a bit bigger with the hitch option but I don't know if that's true??? I love the rich color of the Merino Tartufo and it works just as well with the Piano Black trim. Coming from Merino Ivory and Piano Black, it's a nice change and should be a touch easier to care for in color. I have 3 sets of optional floor mats that come with the vehicle. The air ride suspension with the DHP is amazing and the difference in ride between "Sport" and "Comfort" is significantly more dramatic than in my X5. It's like the X7 turns into a different vehicle in size,feel, and comfort. I am looking forward to comparing the two G05/G07 when I get more time after finalizing the deal today. My X5 is being traded in for the X7 but I have had a lot of time and two very long family road trips in the X5 to give a good ownership comparison report. I will get into the iDrive 7 differences between 2019 and 2020. There are some differences but with all the extra toys in this X7, I need some time to go through it all.

This is going bye,bye and will be a hell of a X5 build for its new owner.

Quick pic of the new beast on its test drive visit to my home. Wait until I detail this paint properly.
Touché!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MystroX56289.50
GlennC321.00
      08-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:

Wow - quite a change... Would you mind elaborating on that. Why X7 vs X5 M50 or even x5 M or even Cayenne or Merc GLE 63S
Do you feel the difference in the M50 engine vs 50 M sport. Every time I drive M50 i cannot tell the difference.
Even x5M was not that impressive in HP.. same torque as 50.

How is air suspension vs M sport? x7 even with DHP must feel big. How do you like the rear wheel steering. I can not get used to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Wow - quite a change... Would you mind elaborating on that. Why X7 vs X5 M50 or even x5 M or even Cayenne or Merc GLE 63S
Do you feel the difference in the M50 engine vs 50 M sport. Every time I drive M50 i cannot tell the difference.
Even x5M was not that impressive in HP.. same torque as 50.

How is air suspension vs M sport? x7 even with DHP must feel big. How do you like the rear wheel steering. I can not get used to that.

X7 longer wheel base and Air suspension is smooth as glass over any surface in “comfort”. DHP in “Sport Plus” hides the weight dramatically in the corners. It’s noticeably smoother than my X5 50i M-Sport without air suspension.
The rear steering in both X5/X7 has a turning ratio feeling about the same in my drive way which is to say, extremely tight turning ratio.

As far as power, the M50i new engine in the X7 feels identically quick as the 2019 50i M-Sport engine in the X5. In other words it’s larger size seemed to cancel out with the additional hp of the newer V8TT. I will do do some draggy to confirm. The power from 60mph to 120mph is amazing. Effortless and totally isolated from any wind or road noise. The drama with any engine sound and road noise like in a performance car isn’t there and it should be. That’s why these isolated luxury cars are so dangerous in their capabilities because you are really moving without even knowing it.
It’s a force in a vehicle this big and fun as hell as most would never have a clue a vehicle this big is this fast. Driving it the speed limit in town feels like a attack dog on a chain. You can still scare the hell out of your passengers on a tight twisty road in Sport Plus and let it eat up the corners. I have a proving road up my mountain I test all my new cars on. The X7 M50i is a beast if you really want it to be.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-04-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 3