Drives: X7 M50i

Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #46
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

I have the same issue. B&W and 2019 model with the latest update. It happens randomly and has been going on since the car was new in Mar 2019. Never stays bad so couldn’t take to dealership to troubleshoot but now I see a lot of others are experiencing the same thing I will be taking it in soon. Everyone please update with any fixes that come your way besides shutting down the car—THAT’S NOT A FIX!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #47
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Week 2 still good. No loss everyday I drove it. Finger crossed!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #48
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
Week 2 still good. No loss everyday I drove it. Finger crossed!
This is a known issue on all 2020 produced BMWs with HK. (All series)

It's a hardware fault with the booster module where it doesn't wake up correctly when prodded to from the RAM amplifier. The booster is responsible for powering the under seat subs.

There's a puma case related to it that tells dealers to replace the booster with a different newer part:

PUMA
65463809-01

The PUMA measure for this is: DE 65463809-01 - 17.11.20

Only vehicles with the following special equipment (SA) are affected: ...

F40, F44, F90, G01, G02, G08, G20, G21, G22, G28, G29, G30, G31, G32, G38,

With the two special equipment (optional extra):

SA 6U3 BMW LIVE COCKPIT PROFESSIONAL

AND

S-0688 HARMAN / KARDON SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

A diagnosis must be carried out in the event of a customer complaint.

If the fault memory entry in control unit RAM01:

B7F480 - Booster no connection

is present and no other cause can be found:

(For example loudspeaker noises or background noises originating from the end device ), the control device is:

Replace amplifier Top-Hifi-System with the following part number:

65 12 5 A38 AB8 amplifier top hi-fi system

!Important:!

The change index must be checked before installing the part number.

The new spare part must have the change index AI-02 or higher.

Only with these can it be excluded that the customer complaint will recur.

!Info:!

The control unit amplifier Top-Hifi-System 65 12 5 A38 AB8 with AI-02 is

expected to be available from December / 2020.

Only applies to vehicles with the production period: from March 1st, 2020 to November 1st, 2020

####
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #49
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
This is a known issue on all 2020 produced BMWs with HK. (All series)

It's a hardware fault with the booster module where it doesn't wake up correctly when prodded to from the RAM amplifier. The booster is responsible for powering the under seat subs.

There's a puma case related to it that tells dealers to replace the booster with a different newer part:

PUMA
65463809-01

With the two special equipment (optional extra):

SA 6U3 BMW LIVE COCKPIT PROFESSIONAL

AND

S-0688 HARMAN / KARDON SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM

A diagnosis must be carried out in the event of a customer complaint.

If the fault memory entry in control unit RAM01:

B7F480 - Booster no connection

is present and no other cause can be found:

(For example loudspeaker noises or background noises originating from the end device ), the control device is:

Replace amplifier Top-Hifi-System with the following part number:

65 12 5 A38 AB8 amplifier top hi-fi system

!Important:!

The change index must be checked before installing the part number.

The new spare part must have the change index AI-02 or higher.

Only with these can it be excluded that the customer complaint will recur.

!Info:!

The control unit amplifier Top-Hifi-System 65 12 5 A38 AB8 with AI-02 is

expected to be available from December / 2020.

Only applies to vehicles with the production period: from March 1st, 2020 to November 1st, 2020

####
If this affects all vehicles and all series why don't I have the issue on my 2020 X7 40i with these options?

I would think this would be an issue for "ALL" vehicles with this equipment? Perhaps this only applies to certain hardware with a specific run of serial numbers or batch numbers. Otherwise BMW should replace this part for any customer who asks for a replacement whether or not they are having the problem or not. It might start happening down the road when the car is out of warranty. That would suck!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #50
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

####
Great info but the X7 is a G07 which is not part of that list you put out?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:46 AM   #51
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

####
Great info but the X7 is a G07 which is not part of that list you put out?
Probably because no one with an x7 has come forward yet. But there's a very good change you have the same booster module !
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #52
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Probably because no one with an x7 has come forward yet. But there's a very good change you have the same booster module !
Definitely a possibility. I will keep my ears open for recurrence. Will bring this up with the dealer if it does. They did say they found a fault code and upgraded the module's software so could be I have the newer hardware but old software before.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #53
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely a possibility. I will keep my ears open for recurrence. Will bring this up with the dealer if it does. They did say they found a fault code and upgraded the module's software so could be I have the newer hardware but old software before.
I have this fault on my x3, and have the very latest software available installed (20-11-542).

There's a new booster on route from Germany atm, due in next week to fit it on arrival. I gave them that puma case and it was all sorted
Appreciate 1
danchee136.00
      01-18-2021, 10:11 PM   #54
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

I experienced the bass loss again today. Except this time, my car was parked in my garage and dry (all previous occasions were out in the rain). I looked around the settings to see if I can fix it without shutting down the car.
I found turning off the logic 7 surround sound, then turning it back on reset something and fixed the bass issue.

So for those that experience this, see if turning off your logic 7 surround (if you have HK system) and then turning it back on fixes your bass loss issue without restarting car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #55
spartanhuntr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

its back... after not having the experience for a couple of weeks, it happened today. And it was a bad one. Of course, it was right before a 5 hour drive... UGH. I parked the vehicle in a hotel parking garage. Came out and no bass. It was a bad one because i had a 5 hour drive and it would not reset. I stopped after 15 mins. I shut the x7 down. Got out, hit alarm, waited 90 seconds and got back in. Didn't fix it. I did that 4 times in total over the 5 hours. It never worked. I parked at home in my garage for an hour and then got in to take my son to his music lesson and it was fixed. Very frustrating. I called a couple of weeks ago with this PUMA code and the service manager never called me back. I didn't follow up because i wasn't having the issue. I guess i will be calling again tomorrow. UGH!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #56
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

That sux! I haven't experienced it since getting the software updated. So far 4 weeks total already. Fingers crossed that I actually have the newer hardware and just needed the software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #57
spartanhuntr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Called the dealer... He said... "Known problem, no known solution, BMW is working on it".

I mentioned these posts (and emailed to him). He seemed pretty set on the fact that there is no known repair and mentioned he even sent someone home yesterday without repair because that is what BMW is instructing them to do.

Stay tuned... I will note.. he believes the HK fix IS different than what i need with the B&W system. So, then that leaves me with the fix you mentioned Danchee.

Another interesting thing on this thread is one repair listed is fully software... one is fully hardware (new booster) and a third is both. Maybe that means "it depends" or that there could be multiple issues that cause it.

I am sure he is going to tell me the PUMA is not for a B&W system and that the Danchee repair might work but might not as BMW doesn't know yet. UGH!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 01:13 AM   #58
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, the fix posted is just for Harmon kardon, it uses a different booster (ALEV3) than the B@W (ALEV4).

Interesting it's happened on yours as well - that it happens on two different amps suggests either there is a common component in them that needs addressing, or it is also software related.

They replaced the amp in mine with hk for the
New part number abs it's been flawless since.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #59
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the fix posted is just for Harmon kardon, it uses a different booster (ALEV3) than the B@W (ALEV4).

Interesting it's happened on yours as well - that it happens on two different amps suggests either there is a common component in them that needs addressing, or it is also software related.

They replaced the amp in mine with hk for the
New part number abs it's been flawless since.
My dealer doesn't know anything about replacing a booster. Is there any kind of TSB or any documentation from BMW that I can have my dealer look at?
Since I can't reproduce the issue at will, the dealer isn't willing to spend any time looking into any resolution.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #60
spartanhuntr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

New update (or lack thereof):

Refresh:

First time i took to dealer (Nov).. turned off vehicle in BMW service bay and turned back on to show them the problem and of course it was working... so got a "unable to replicate" reply.

Called multiple times (and emailed) when it happened...

Then had it happen when i was over that way so stopped in and didn't turn off in bay so i could show them. I got a "interesting, not a known problem" reply but "we will look in to it.". They wanted to cycle it.. we did and of course it was working and so...'we cant fix what isn't broken'. Need to wait until not working again. I was shocked with this answer as this thread was already going so i was struggling to believe i was the only one at that dealer who logged this? And that they wouldn't address it until it was recognized by BMW.

I sent the svc mgr another em (after leaving vms he didn't reply to).. his reply ... "now I see the problem... but no known fix" He said another owner was in the day before and they had also sent him home with no fix. So i shared the info from this thread... PUMA, fixes, etc. He said he would get back to me in a day or two.

Week later with no reply I sent another note and Sv mgr said... "I clearly understand the problem; he shared his dealer vehicle had the issue". So, now it is a priority because his car has the issue. He told me he would get back to me in a day or two.

A week later i send another follow up... stating.. "you told me you would get back to me in a day or two... has been a week what is the status". He replies... Parts ordered... have not applied fix yet. Note - emails are about this succinct... single sentence maybe two...

Then Today I get a message today that says... "parts back ordered. not sure when i will get them." And just to be clear....these are the parts for the dealer lot vehicle. Not mine..

i sent a note back asking if there is an estimate on the timing? What their plans were? Does BMW understand there are new owners who have spent a lot of money on the vehicle PLUS a $4k upgrade to B&W to have a vehicle with no radio? What is the plan? Next steps? I have not heard back. I took delivery on my vehicle in Oct. 4-5 months depending how you look at it.

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #61
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanhuntr View Post

i sent a note back asking if there is an estimate on the timing? What their plans were? Does BMW understand there are new owners who have spent a lot of money on the vehicle PLUS a $4k upgrade to B&W to have a vehicle with no radio? What is the plan? Next steps? I have not heard back. I took delivery on my vehicle in Oct. 4-5 months depending how you look at it.

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!
Well at least your dealer now acknowledges there's a problem. Mine still says no issue found and no know issues with audio system.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #62
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanhuntr View Post

Refresh:

First time i took to dealer (Nov).. turned off vehicle in BMW service bay and turned back on to show them the problem and of course it was working... so got a "unable to replicate" reply.

Called multiple times (and emailed) when it happened...

Then had it happen when i was over that way so stopped in and didn't turn off in bay so i could show them. I got a "interesting, not a known problem" reply but "we will look in to it.". They wanted to cycle it.. we did and of course it was working and so...'we cant fix what isn't broken'. Need to wait until not working again. I was shocked with this answer as this thread was already going so i was struggling to believe i was the only one at that dealer who logged this? And that they wouldn't address it until it was recognized by BMW.

I sent the svc mgr another em (after leaving vms he didn't reply to).. his reply ... "now I see the problem... but no known fix" He said another owner was in the day before and they had also sent him home with no fix. So i shared the info from this thread... PUMA, fixes, etc. He said he would get back to me in a day or two.

Week later with no reply I sent another note and Sv mgr said... "I clearly understand the problem; he shared his dealer vehicle had the issue". So, now it is a priority because his car has the issue. He told me he would get back to me in a day or two.

A week later i send another follow up... stating.. "you told me you would get back to me in a day or two... has been a week what is the status". He replies... Parts ordered... have not applied fix yet. Note - emails are about this succinct... single sentence maybe two...

Then Today I get a message today that says... "parts back ordered. not sure when i will get them." And just to be clear....these are the parts for the dealer lot vehicle. Not mine..

VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!!
Now that you have a paper trail, and I'm sure the dealership is responding in single line responses so they don't have any possible incriminating evidence when you file for lemon law buy back. Log every single time it happens and send them an email. Hound them until they respond (always include previously sent email to have paper trail of duration). Engage a lawyer at this point. This is about the only way a corporation will even acknowledge anything.

I've been lucky so far it hasn't recurred since the firmware update was applied so fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #63
spartanhuntr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Updates?

Any updates on this? I still don't have mine in. It does appear they are hanging on to the logging the issue ONLY when it happens. They are not acknowledging this as a real defect or issue that is spanning many vehicles.

Of course, mine hasn't been acting up. I know we seem to think it was a bad part but it sure feels like the weather did have some impact on it.

Regardless... when i don't have full bass loss my bass is still average if not below. This might be me having to fiddle with the eq... i don't know. But, i can't get to audio worthy of the price tag on the B&W upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:44 AM   #64
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Haven't had any issues since the software update for me. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #65
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Haven't had any issues since the software update for me. Fingers crossed!
Which software update? and was it done OTA or at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 12:59 AM   #66
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Which software update? and was it done OTA or at the dealer?
Dealer. From my 12/2020 post - Updated the TCB (Telematics Communication Box) and HUH (HeadUnit-High) software and program. They were updated via iDrive and ISTA.
Appreciate 0