BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Reasons I'd never get the LCI, and got the pre-LCI

08-22-2022, 04:29 PM   #23
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
So, with all the discussions and conversations around mostly focused on photos of the front design, I thought I'd start this thread that's rather focused on comprehensive discussions* focused on features, functionality and design aspects of the Pre vs post LCI X7. Note: I have already seen both in person.

Reason that, a few weeks ago, I just picked and secured my pre-LCI X7 with the V8 engine and spec's that I needed instead of the LCI one:
1. The inclusion of Mild-hybrid in the 23 LCI
Mild hybrid is there for just one reason: Emissions and regulatory requirements !!, with just a tiny bit improvement in MPG. To me, it is just an added complexity, hardware and liability that we, the BMW user, don't need from a driving experience prospective. To me, it is useless. I'd love to have it if I had a Toyota or Honda; but not on a BMW that is built all around based on the driving experience.
2. Front design
Some might say that the new front might grow on some people with time. However, one thing I can tell you, it will NEVER look as nice and classy as the pre-LCI. BMW has a GREAT reputation in listening to their customers and making adjustments as they go, especially when a new generation is released. Don't forget that this X7 as an LCI and it is not a new X7. I am sure they will fix this front design when a new generation of X7 is released by end of 2026, but until then, I will continue to enjoy the pre-LCI.
3. Pre-set buttons removed (along with AC buttons!).
The removal of the pre-set buttons in the interior (which has always been one of the very best features that any BMW has), and moving it into the touch screen, is absolutely the worst decision ever made.!!! for someone who is 6ft plus, or anyone with standard reach, getting to that touch screen and sketching yourself to navigate across screens and menus to do a single function is just silly, stupid and non-sense. Also, not to mention, even worse, the lack of AC physical buttons, as well as the distance adjust between you and the front vehicle on the steering wheel! Now you have to go to the menu, follow 2-3 steps, to adjust the distance level!
NOTE: MY OPINION IS NOT SIMPLY BASED ON THE LOOK OF THE NEW LCI, I HAVE 2 POINTS OUT OF 3 THAT ARE RATHER FOCUSED ON FUNCTIONALITY THAN THE LOOK.

Sorry if I offended any of you who decided to get the LCI this year instead of the pre-LCI one. It is just my opinion. The pre-LCI absolutely is superior from a design and functionality prospective to the LCI one; at least IMO. it is not just about the front end, there is more to it as I described above from a functionality prospective.
I picked up my 2022 off the lot last month. I was given the option for the 2023. For me it was about getting a model with all the gremlins worked out, hopefully…. Versus being a Guinea pig for the new line. With the X7 and the 7 Series seem to get the latest gadgets I worried about potential issues. The new one is a good look for sure.
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 04:38 PM   #24
MAXKONG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
I did. I had an iX for about 9 months. The screens look really nice. The system is nicer than Idrive 7. But, assuming it works the same in the X7, if I have to choose between iDrive 8 and loosing physical buttons (specifically the AC buttons and the pre-set buttons), I'd rather choose and keep idrive 7 on an X7.
OK then you would not buy BMW anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 05:31 PM   #25
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXKONG View Post
OK then you would not buy BMW anymore.
To me, iDrive 8 is not an issue. I can deal with it, but I don't like the lack of physical buttons. See the 7-series sedan, it does have some kind of a temperature control related area on the dash itself rather than the screen. Moreover, in the 7-series sedan, the screen sets much closer to the driver and you can easily reach it. However, the X7 LCI does not have buttons or temperature control area on the dash and the screen is not that close to the driver as it should (simply because the entire idea of adding idrive 8 into X7 was an after thought). Once a new generation of X7 comes out, I am almost certain the AC temp control will be available on the dash just like they have on the sedan 7-series. If that's not the case, then I can say am forced to accept it. Right now, with the X7 lci and the pre-LCI being "technically" exactly the same vehicle, I do not need to deal with all the non-sense in the LCI X7, since I can drive the same exact car yet with nicer front and better functionality.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 08-22-2022 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 06:15 PM   #26
x5DZL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 M3Cx,'22 X7 M50i , '20 X5,

Car looks are very subjective so everyone can choose what they like.

I for one, might be in the minority, ordered the 22 x7 after seeing the pictures of the LCI. Personally there were 3 areas that bothered me -
1. the frontend with the split lights.
2. the single digital dash sitting there as though they suddenly realized that they needed to make room for it. [I am exaggerating but thats how I felt]
3. The missing shifter lever [I am used to holding it though not stick. a habit having driven manuals for many, many years]

In 5 years, these might not matter and I might think differently. However, this time around, it was in the moment and how I felt about the 22 over the 23.

We can all enjoy our rides and share some cool experiences, good or bad.

We all have our likes/dislikes and thats the great thing about this forum. You learn of things you might not have thought off when you were looking. - Cheers!!

Current: '22 M3Cx | '22 X7 M50i | ’20 X5 X40i | ’09 X5D
Appreciate 1
3erMan153.00
      08-22-2022, 06:49 PM   #27
nicboy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530

Totally agree. People can tell the design is good or not even for the same brand. Unlike some mentioned we should all enjoy everything BMW offered. Not necessarily, BMW can offer bad designs just like any other brands, if this time looks odd, we don't have to always pretend to be okey or only allow for compliments. Criticisms push for progress, there is nothing wrong to disklike it and wish for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #28
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicboy View Post
Totally agree. People can tell the design is good or not even for the same brand. Unlike some mentioned we should all enjoy everything BMW offered. Not necessarily, BMW can offer bad designs just like any other brands, if this time looks odd, we don't have to always pretend to be okey or only allow for compliments. Criticisms push for progress, there is nothing wrong to disklike it and wish for improvement.
Respect!
I know my post will probably offend a few people, but I always believe criticism, and sharing our opinion in a fully transparent way is a good practice. After-all, that's what makes this forum a great community. BMW can offer bad designs, and if we the owners won't speak out, nothing will change... I am confident BMW will fix all these issues when a new generation is revealed. Until then, the pre-LCI is there for those who dislike the LCI, and opposite is true.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:29 PM   #29
robersoj1
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Respect!
I know my post will probably offend a few people, but I always believe criticism, and sharing our opinion in a fully transparent way is a good practice. After-all, that's what makes this forum a great community. BMW can offer bad designs, and if we the owners won't speak out, nothing will change... I am confident BMW will fix all these issues when a new generation is revealed. Until then, the pre-LCI is there for those who dislike the LCI, and opposite is true.

I got the 22 X7M50i after I saw the 23 model. However I would have liked for the end of Pre-LCI could have come loaded. The longer you waited the less option were available. You can now get these options on the LCI Model, but even with that I am crazy about my X7 it is a great driving car. I do like computers, just not while driving. Some things should just stay simple.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 09:25 PM   #30
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5DZL View Post
Car looks are very subjective so everyone can choose what they like.

I for one, might be in the minority, ordered the 22 x7 after seeing the pictures of the LCI. Personally there were 3 areas that bothered me -
1. the frontend with the split lights.
2. the single digital dash sitting there as though they suddenly realized that they needed to make room for it. [I am exaggerating but thats how I felt]
3. The missing shifter lever [I am used to holding it though not stick. a habit having driven manuals for many, many years]

In 5 years, these might not matter and I might think differently. However, this time around, it was in the moment and how I felt about the 22 over the 23.

We can all enjoy our rides and share some cool experiences, good or bad.

We all have our likes/dislikes and thats the great thing about this forum. You learn of things you might not have thought off when you were looking. - Cheers!!
The reasons you note are actually the reason why I chose the 2023 Appreciate how you actually voiced. your opinion in a respectful fashion. Most get behind a computer and talk in a way they never would to a persons face.
Appreciate 1
x5DZL109.50
      08-22-2022, 09:45 PM   #31
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
It looks like 22 owners are justifying their purchase. I don't get it. Good you like it over 23 model. Why do you need to justify your purchase to anyone other than yourself. Are you that insecure that you have to get approval from other internet user
Appreciate 6
      08-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #32
x5DZL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 M3Cx,'22 X7 M50i , '20 X5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
It looks like 22 owners are justifying their purchase. I don't get it. Good you like it over 23 model. Why do you need to justify your purchase to anyone other than yourself. Are you that insecure that you have to get approval from other internet user
No need to say stuff like this 'that insecure that you have to get approval from other internet user"

I am not justifying anything. I don't have to. I am merely stating why I purchased my 22 over the 23 based on OP's topic.

Have a good day!!

Current: '22 M3Cx | '22 X7 M50i | ’20 X5 X40i | ’09 X5D
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:48 PM   #33
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
SMH

I second what x5DZL answered you. No need to say things like that. It is a forum and a community. People are free to share their opinion, discuss stuff, start a conversation, criticize BMW related stuff, and share their experience.

If you feel offended that me or others people disliked the LCI, you didn't need to "that's normal". If you care about what others think when they see the LCI, you should have asked. If you don't care, great, but then from the beginning you didn't need to feel offended or write such a response. You response is sarcastic and adds zero value to the discussion here.

Also, to answer your question, the reason that such threads are helpful has nothing to do with us being "that insecure that you have to get approval from other internet user" as you said. The merit behind it is that other potential buyers could benefit from such observations, see what we all think of our LCI or pre-LCI X7s, and get some sort of valuable info on the differences directly from owners. Not every BMW buyer knows that level of detail, and not everyone here is on his 2nd or 3rd X7... or even got the chance to see both vehicles in person.

Last edited by BMW5and7; 08-23-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 05:56 AM   #34
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
You assumed I have 23. Its tiring to see threads like these. IMO threads like these don't make any difference to potential X7 owners or their choice of LCI vs preLCI. Design is highly subjective topic.

Apologies if I offended as this thread is a lot more civil (as of now) than other ones.
Appreciate 2
      08-23-2022, 08:40 AM   #35
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
FWIW... the shortcuts in iD8 could be accessed by utilizing the iDrive controller (simply tip it up and they're there to scroll through). I would still prefer physical presets myself, but it is sort of nice that I could see my 8 presets in that shortcut menu rather than remembering (or hovering over each individually) to see what they did.
      08-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #36
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

We delayed swapping out the GL450 nine months or so just to get the LCI. My wife can't wait to jump inside all that hideousness. I like the M sport versions of both the pre-LCI and LCI models, but not much of a fan on the non-M sport models. The LCI is very modern looking and makes the pre-LCI look more dated than a normal mid-cycle refresh normally does for BMW (IMHO). I think BMW has and continues to have a real winner. The new GLS doesn't seem as special as the X7. I thought my wife would want another GLS, since she had one of each of the previous generations. After driving a 22 X7 and GLS back to back, she landed on the X7 and said it wasn't close. I felt the same. The LCI is just going to add more distance for the masses, even though some diehard fans of the past have issues. BMW seems pretty dialed into what "most" people want these days.
Appreciate 1
BMWX7m60i182.50
      08-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #37
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
We delayed swapping out the GL450 nine months or so just to get the LCI. My wife can't wait to jump inside all that hideousness. I like the M sport versions of both the pre-LCI and LCI models, but not much of a fan on the non-M sport models. The LCI is very modern looking and makes the pre-LCI look more dated than a normal mid-cycle refresh normally does for BMW (IMHO). I think BMW has and continues to have a real winner. The new GLS doesn't seem as special as the X7. I thought my wife would want another GLS, since she had one of each of the previous generations. After driving a 22 X7 and GLS back to back, she landed on the X7 and said it wasn't close. I felt the same. The LCI is just going to add more distance for the masses, even though some diehard fans of the past have issues. BMW seems pretty dialed into what "most" people want these days.
What I hate about Mercedes, is their transmissions!. I had a 2015 and 2018 S-Class, and the GLS. Each of them had jerky transmissions compared to all the BMWs I ever had. My very first BMW was the the 2019 530e. Since then, I switched completely from being a Mercedes loyal customers to BMW. Today, every vehicle I have is a BMW. Note that the BMW 530e does shift from one gear to another even when in full EV mode. Imagine that on a Mercedes!? shifting was very noticeable even in a bulky V8 vehicle, and worse is the auto down-shifting when deaccelerating.

I don't know if the ride quality is much different, I think both the X7 and GLS, as well as the S and the 7, ride as good as one would ever want, but the transmission and the way engine responds, is at a much higher and refined level in the BMW. Plus, IMO, the iD7 and iD8 are superior to BMUX.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 12:07 PM   #38
BMWX7m60i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Yep
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #39
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here is a formal answer from BMW USA confirming that current X7 LCI is lacking the new hardware on the 7-sedan or iX. BMW USA also confirmed the the X7 will get a refresh or upgrade on the hardware to be similar to the of the 7-series. This includes Personal Pilot and a few other upgrades coming between 2023-2027. As I mentioned earlier, the current X7 service pack is just a carry over from pre-lci. It will be upgraded later around April 2023 with newer modules that will receive other upgrades related to new BMW technologies. Another secret: Lasers lights are also coming back to the X7. Let's keep limited to this info for now.

Thanks for Adam from providing this formal answer from BMW USA info:
"Hi Adam - We should first point out that BMW does not produce vehicles capable of autonomous driving. At this time, the Driver Assistance Professional Package for the new 2023 BMW X7 models does not include Highway Assistant, which will be introduced on the new BMW 7 Series and allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to 80 mph under suitable conditions. While we anticipate this feature will be available for order starting in the spring of 2023, it will not be possible or practical to retrofit or upgrade vehicles produced earlier. The system currently available for order in the 2023 BMW X7 allows attentive hands-free driving at speeds up to about 40 mph under suitable conditions."
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 11:32 AM   #40
jofbay
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

I recently picked up a 2021 X7 (almost fully loaded)
I personally think both pre LCI and POST LCI look great. I do like the split headlight design and I enjoy that it's a point of distinction. I also think the 2021 headlights look great.

So given all of this, I picked up the 2021 M50i because the M50i is a GREAT car and starting around the end of 2023 has hit a really sweet spot from a price point perspective. Lot's of luxury for $40K less than a similarly equipped LCI model.

I do enjoy physical AC buttons and an actual drive shifter (with crystal knob) but none of these little minor gripes are a deal breaker for me with the LCI

Actually I do wish my PRE-LCI had augmented reality navigation. Either way I think X7 pre and post are both awesome cars. I have spent time with both and driven both!
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #41
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

This is the same as saying you prefer a Blackberry vs an iPhone. Sorry, the world has moved on. You may not like the LCI but BMW is not going back to the old version.
Appreciate 1
XB7122.50
      02-01-2024, 12:43 PM   #42
omnid00d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

After a year of looking, I went with the pre-LCI M50i simply because it's way way cheaper. However, I was pretty smitten in the '23 40i test drive which is what got me thinking about X7 a year ago. I'm not a fan of the new face but I could have gotten over it if it wasn't for the fact that the LCI X7 doesn't have the 7-series interior for basically the same money. I LOVE that 7-series interior and I fully expected the X7 inherit that interior but clearly I expected wrong. I feel like if X7 got that 7-series interior, it would have really differentiate it self from pre-LCI. Maybe I don't understand what LCI really really means...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 01:31 PM   #43
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnid00d View Post
After a year of looking, I went with the pre-LCI M50i simply because it's way way cheaper. However, I was pretty smitten in the '23 40i test drive which is what got me thinking about X7 a year ago. I'm not a fan of the new face but I could have gotten over it if it wasn't for the fact that the LCI X7 doesn't have the 7-series interior for basically the same money. I LOVE that 7-series interior and I fully expected the X7 inherit that interior but clearly I expected wrong. I feel like if X7 got that 7-series interior, it would have really differentiate it self from pre-LCI. Maybe I don't understand what LCI really really means...
X7 and 7 series are not same money. There is ~20k differential in same engine variant. Now if you are comparing 740i to X7M60i then that’s different.

May be eventually X7 will catch up to have similar interior as 7
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:49 PM   #44
GCR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40

Beauty (or not) is in the eye of the beholder. I do prefer the look of my Pre LCI's front end, but that's a personal thing. It's not just BMW either. My daily is a truck. My '23 Ram 2500 is not as good looking as my previous '14 was. The front end is bulbous and clumsy compared with the more angular look of the earlier truck. But the new one is a much better ride, so there's that. I'm certainly not going to say the Pre LCI is better than the LCI versions though, everyone has their own opinions..............
Appreciate 0