BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 3rd Row Seat Broke! Prevents 2nd Row Recline

12-08-2023, 03:41 PM   #1
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

3rd Row Seat Broke! Prevents 2nd Row Recline

Well, we never really use the 3rd row, but daughter and her boyfriend were in town this week and we had to set it up.
We used them on a recent trip to Orlando with no issues, but this time something broke.

Right side 3rd row seat goes up and down, but it's very loose and won't lock into place according to the error message. It does seem to physically lock when in the upright position as I can't move it, but not when it's lowered...I can move the seat up with my hand.

Since it won't lock, it prevents the 2nd row from being moved into it's rearmost position and it won't allow the entire 2nd row to recline all the way back.

Super frustrating...dropping off at dealer Monday for what I assume to be a seat or motor replacement with parts that probably will take weeks to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
cochese
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 x40i

The seats on these seem to be an Achilles heel.

Our passenger middle seat got stuck in the down position 150 miles in. The dealer said the motor was “over extended” because we had “put too much weight on it”. They fixed it but said they wouldn’t fix it in the future if we “did that again”. WTF. We had driven the car maybe 5 times and our kids are 9 and 12.

Seats are damn slow too. Love the car otherwise. Except for the Bluetooth nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochese View Post
The seats on these seem to be an Achilles heel.

Our passenger middle seat got stuck in the down position 150 miles in. The dealer said the motor was “over extended” because we had “put too much weight on it”. They fixed it but said they wouldn’t fix it in the future if we “did that again”. WTF. We had driven the car maybe 5 times and our kids are 9 and 12.

Seats are damn slow too. Love the car otherwise. Except for the Bluetooth nonsense.

Yep, that's a concern as well. The dealer will somehow conclude I broke it and then charge me for the fix. We have pretty much used the 3rd row for 14 days. And only raised and lowered it maybe 10 times.

It has given me a lock error before right after I picked it up from the dealer on one service visit. I had to raise all seats, lower them, and raise again to "reset" the system I guess...it worked and the error cleared.

This time, the second row won't even lower. It still raises to allow access to the 3rd row, but I can not lower the bench seat to be flat to haul any cargo.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 09:15 PM   #4
cochese
Private
Rep
Drives: X7 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
Yep, that's a concern as well. The dealer will somehow conclude I broke it and then charge me for the fix. We have pretty much used the 3rd row for 14 days. And only raised and lowered it maybe 10 times.

It has given me a lock error before right after I picked it up from the dealer on one service visit. I had to raise all seats, lower them, and raise again to "reset" the system I guess...it worked and the error cleared.

This time, the second row won't even lower. It still raises to allow access to the 3rd row, but I can not lower the bench seat to be flat to haul any cargo.
You’re probably also seeing the same error message that we did, that bongs loudly every time you start going. Almost undriveable it’s so distracting. Every stop sign, stop light and in traffic, just because the seat is broken.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 05:59 PM   #5
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochese View Post
You’re probably also seeing the same error message that we did, that bongs loudly every time you start going. Almost undriveable it’s so distracting. Every stop sign, stop light and in traffic, just because the seat is broken.
I don't get that warning...just a message on the screen saying the right rear seat is unable to lock. The most annoying thing is the inability to move the 2nd row all the way back and recline the seat all the back. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a luxury SUV.

Wish they would have just made the third row manual...there's no reason it needs to be powered. Safety issue to with these powered seats since they don't have a safety stop/reverse if there's something in the way...imagine a small child being back there in 3rd row or under 2nd row...kids play around in vehicles all the time and push lots of buttons.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:15 AM   #6
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Update #1
Dropped X7 off on Monday morning...Advisor texted me today saying the TCB Module had to be replaced...assume this is to fix the "emergency call inop" error message.

No update on rear seat lock issue...guess they wanted to address the emergency call issue first.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:13 PM   #7
Saejin
Captain
Rep

Final Update - Repair complete...Picked up my X7 today and all was covered by warranty. Actually had two issues they needed to fix; rear seat and emergency call malfunction

$5800 was the overall cost to fix per the paperwork in case you have this issue and are not under warranty anymore.

Rear Seat Lock Fix - $3200
- $2100 in parts
- $1100 in labor

Emergency Call Fix - $2600
- $1100 in parts (module and battery)
- $1500 in labor
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:34 AM   #8
dtximages
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

I'm having the same issue in my x7 now. Took it to dealership in Grapevine TX and they quoted me $5100 just to redo the bowden cables and actuator in rear headrest. Seems insanely excessive. Car has 33k miles but just out of the 5 year warranty.

Was there not a TSB about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 10:50 AM   #9
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
I wonder if CPO would cover this

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0