forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 2020 X7 40i trailer hitch

02-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
naw2
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

2020 X7 40i trailer hitch

I really wish I would have researched the trailer hitch issue on the X7 before buying one WITHOUT a hitch installed. To be fair, none of the 17 X7s in the lot had trailer hitches, where I purchased mine. I’ve done some research on this forum regarding the issue, and it seems as if people are optimistic that BMW will come out with a retrofit trailer hitch, but at this time, there’s nothing. I do know there is the Stealth Hitch, which looks quite nice. I got a quote from a certified stealth hitch installer in the St. Louis area, for $1,300 to install it. Ouch, but doable. The instructions are on the stealth hitch website, which requires removing the entire rear bumper, wiring, etc. It’s beyond what I would be comfortable with doing myself. What are the rest of you doing? Waiting for BMW to come up with something or have any of you installed the stealth hitch? Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naw2 View Post
I really wish I would have researched the trailer hitch issue on the X7 before buying one WITHOUT a hitch installed. To be fair, none of the 17 X7s in the lot had trailer hitches, where I purchased mine. I’ve done some research on this form regarding the issue, and it seems as if people are optimistic that BMW will come out with a retrofit trailer hitch, but at this time, there’s nothing. I do know there is the Stealth Hitch, which looks quite nice. I got a quote from a certified stealth hitch installer in the St. Louis area, for $1,300 to install it. Ouch, but doable. The instructions are on the stealth hitch website, which requires removing the entire rear bumper, wiring, etc. It’s beyond what I would be comfortable with doing myself. What are the rest of you doing? Waiting for BMW to come up with something or have any of you installed the stealth hitch? Thanks for your input.
Quote:
I really wish I would have researched the trailer hitch issue on the X7 before buying one WITHOUT a hitch installed. To be fair, none of the 17 X7s in the lot had trailer hitches, where I purchased mine. I've done some research on this form regarding the issue, and it seems as if people are optimistic that BMW will come out with a retrofit trailer hitch, but at this time, there's nothing. I do know there is the Stealth Hitch, which looks quite nice. I got a quote from a certified stealth hitch installer in the St. Louis area, for $1,300 to install it. Ouch, but doable. The instructions are on the stealth hitch website, which requires removing the entire rear bumper, wiring, etc. It's beyond what I would be comfortable with doing myself. What are the rest of you doing? Waiting for BMW to come up with something or have any of you installed the stealth hitch? Thanks for your input.

I ordered an x7 with one. Car and Driver is trying to add one to the x7 they are doing the 40k mile tear on and they are having issues too.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
Redrex
Rep

I found one on the lot with the hitch but I did have to put a Stealth Hitch on the Macan, and it was around $800 all in. I bought the hitch directly from them on Black Friday and found an installer in NY who charged $375. Yes it involves pulling the bumper so I hope you can find someone else reputable in St. Louis at a more reasonable cost.
      02-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrex View Post
I found one on the lot with the hitch but I did have to put a Stealth Hitch on the Macan, and it was around $800 all in. I bought the hitch directly from them on Black Friday and found an installer in NY who charged $375. Yes it involves pulling the bumper so I hope you can find someone else reputable in St. Louis at a more reasonable cost.
I found out to late. Getting the factory hitch means no kick to open on the trunk
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
naw2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrex View Post
Do you like the Stealth hitch? Does it seem to be decent quality?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Redrex
Rep

Quote:
Do you like the Stealth hitch? Does it seem to be decent quality?
I like it although tbh I only needed it to mount a bike rack. It's nice the way it preserves the way the Macan looks from the back (yeah I know, those diffusers aren't fooling anyone ). But it seems to be of good quality and you can tell when you snap the hitch receiver into the frame. The hitch receiver part is actually quite heavy and I would suggest the installer show you how and then let you practice a few times as it takes some strength to have it "click" into the frame. Also it helped to know how the locking mech works.
      02-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
Redrex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
I found out to late. Getting the factory hitch means no kick to open on the trunk
Yeah I was debating that too. Once I decided on leasing instead of buying I figured I'll get one with the factory hitch. I'm convincing myself that I made the right decision by saying I won't use that feature as often as I think. That and every time I go riding
Attached Images

02-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
I really wish I would have researched the trailer hitch issue on the X7 before buying one WITHOUT a hitch installed. To be fair, none of the 17 X7s in the lot had trailer hitches, where I purchased mine. I've done some research on this forum regarding the issue, and it seems as if people are optimistic that BMW will come out with a retrofit trailer hitch, but at this time, there's nothing. I do know there is the Stealth Hitch, which looks quite nice. I got a quote from a certified stealth hitch installer in the St. Louis area, for $1,300 to install it. Ouch, but doable. The instructions are on the stealth hitch website, which requires removing the entire rear bumper, wiring, etc. It's beyond what I would be comfortable with doing myself. What are the rest of you doing? Waiting for BMW to come up with something or have any of you installed the stealth hitch? Thanks for your input.
Is there an issue beyond forfeiting the kick to open feature?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
I really wish I would have researched the trailer hitch issue on the X7 before buying one WITHOUT a hitch installed. To be fair, none of the 17 X7s in the lot had trailer hitches, where I purchased mine. I've done some research on this forum regarding the issue, and it seems as if people are optimistic that BMW will come out with a retrofit trailer hitch, but at this time, there's nothing. I do know there is the Stealth Hitch, which looks quite nice. I got a quote from a certified stealth hitch installer in the St. Louis area, for $1,300 to install it. Ouch, but doable. The instructions are on the stealth hitch website, which requires removing the entire rear bumper, wiring, etc. It's beyond what I would be comfortable with doing myself. What are the rest of you doing? Waiting for BMW to come up with something or have any of you installed the stealth hitch? Thanks for your input.
No. I just open my trunk A LOT more than I tow things...
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer73 View Post
Quote:
No. I just open my trunk A LOT more than I tow things...
That's what I thought. I agree, I have kick to open on my XC90 right now and rarely use it. I won't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Are you towing with it? Tow rating is lower without the factory hitch.
Appreciate 0