forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum 1 week in - still blown away

02-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
cmf5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

1 week in - still blown away

I've mentioned on a few other threads, but I've been the proud owner of a (sightly) used 2020 X7 M50i for exactly 1 week. Buying the M50i was never something I planned to do, but I was fortunate enough to find the right deal at the right time. I've always considered myself somebody who likes to drive, but in the past I've compromised. I've driven a 2009 Acura MDX (Sport pkg at least) for the last 11 years. The car I really wanted at the time was the X5 but it was considerably more expensive. Had I known I was going to drive it for so long I would've gone a different route. But alas, that was my reality.

I have 3 kids - all boys. 7, 9, 11 years old. My car search focused mostly on the Lincoln Navigator, Infiniti QX80, Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, MB GLS 450, and even the new MDX (it's bigger now). When I learned about the X7 I was curious, but dismissive. I went and drove one and it changed everything for me.

For anyone who actually needs a 7-seater, body-on-frame vs. unibody should be very familiar. I drove all of the cars I mentioned above, and they all felt like trucks. The Navigator was clearly in a class by itself - and in my opinion justifies it's price tag. It's a gorgeous truck, but in the end it's still a truck.

I fell in love with the X7 before I even got it off the lot during my test drive. Maybe it's because I've never owned a BMW, or maybe it was because I didn't have any expectations. I drove a new 40i on the NJ Parkway at rush hour (if you know you know). The sales rep insisted I pull off to the side, then attempt to merge back in. Even the 40i blew me away there. No way I'm doing that with any of the other cars I tested.

I drove a used 50i also, and was really close to pulling the trigger on it. It was a 2019 fairly loaded with low miles (3k?). Volume-based dealer wanted $68k for it but there was a catch - it was a BMW buy-back and had a Lemon title. I convinced myself I was going to own the car for 10+ years so dealing with that later was not that big of a deal. In the end that wasn't the route for me - but if you're in the market for a good deal I think that's a great option.

I never expected to end up as the owner of a 2020 X7 M50i - I feel like I'm more of the "pickup truck" guy now all of a sudden I'm driving easily the nicest car in town. These cars turn heads, and people want to see them, sit inside them, drive them, etc. The image thing is real and if you're not known as a "car guy" then it's definitely an adjustment.

But I can say, that after owning this car for exactly 1 week, I'm still as excited as I was when I brought it home. My friends are sick of me talking about it, and my boys have completely exhausted all of the LED color options. It's an amazing piece of machinery, and held the distinction I was looking for over the rest of the cars I was considering. A few of my thoughts:

Sport Mode Plus - Holy Shit. This car weighs around 5,500 lbs but it drives like a Supra. I was taking "Dangerous Curves" at 60 MPH and it felt like I was doing 30. On-ramp acceleration - cars were yielding in the right lane and then I was 200 yards ahead. It's really nice to have power when you need it.

IAS - Game Changer. This is an absolute add-on. I mentioned in another post that after driving the X7 for a few days then getting behind the wheel of my old MDX I almost hit a car pulling out of a side street I was turning onto. It's that big of a difference. I''m not quite sure how it applies when cornering at speed but car feels incredibly nimble and responsive from the wheel. It's an expensive option but it's worth it.

Assisted Driving - Chicks dig it. Having 2 free hands while doing 80 down the turnpike isn't something that can ever be overvalued. It's not a gimmick, it really works. And it underscores the technology advancements that have been made in the industry. You just have to keep your eyes on the road.

Cold Weather Package - if you live in the NE this is a must. The heated steering wheel is so the frivolous luxury you've been looking for. The armrest warmers are useless but impressive.

Glass Controls - by far the most comments I've received. It adds absolutely no value, but looks incredible.

Merino Leather - Worth it. It's really really nice. The car I bought had the Ivory Merino leather...hardly ideal for 3 small boys. The plan is to teach them to appreciate (and take care of) nice things. So far so good.

While I'm at it I wanted to give a few plugs to vendors I've worked with. Frankly I've been pleasantly surprised buying in this market, I didn't expect there to be nearly as much honesty and accountability. First is RackAttack.com - I ordered Yakima roof rails from their website based on the (certified) fit guide for the X7.. The day after I placed the order "Boston" called me saying he didn't believe the fit guide was correct and didn't want to send me rails that weren't going to work. They could've easily just shipped me what I ordered and nobody would've blamed them - but they went the extra distance to make sure I ended up with something that worked...even though it ultimately ended up meaning they lost the sale. Great folks over ther at RackAttack.com and I hope I have the opportunity to send them some business down the road.

2nd shout-out is to Ben @ RGSports. I just purchased a RaceChip for my X7 motivated solely to increase the MPG (I got 17.4 MPG during my 300 mile trip to VT). He was amazingly helpful and never tried to oversell - even tho I asked him to. If you're in the market for a performance chip he should be your first stop.

3rd shout-out goes to CanvasBack.com. I wanted some protection for the trunk carpet ahead of my ski trip. Having owned the MDX for so long I was fully aware of the challenges with 3rd row seats when it comes to trunk liners. Most of the time I kept the 3rd row seats down, but when I needed them dealing with the trunk mat was always an issue. One of the members here posted about CanvasBack, so I went ahead and ordered a hand-made custom cover for the trunk. After I ordered I realized that it actually takes them 10+ days to cut/sew/ship, which meant I wouldn't get it in time for my trip. I emailed them and they worked with me, and even allowed me to send my own 2-day shipping label so it arrived in time. Great company operated by great people.

These cars are amazing, and if you're here because you're trying to figure out if they're right for you...chances are they are. Personally speaking I definitely took a bit of a leap to get one, and this is the point when I should be feeling buyers remorse. It's quite the opposite, as I'm sitting here at 2:30am talking about how much I really really really like this car. Happy to be an owner, and to be part of the BMW community. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by cmf5; 02-15-2020 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 7
      02-15-2020, 01:59 AM   #2
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Amen. And totally agree. Congrats on the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:15 AM   #3
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Awesome, man. Hope it continues to be just as enjoyable for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

It's great to see such enthusiasm. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Yep. Driving dynamics and interior quality were #1 to me. Plus the entertainment/navigation system just plain works.
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
torment
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7

much performance difference with the race chip on the M50i?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Congrats and thank you for your business.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torment View Post
It is still on its way to him.

But OP wasn't looking much on the performance, his main goal is to gain MPG.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Paultattoo
Paul Tattoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by torment View Post

What can you do about mpg? For me it's not the cash, it's stopping for gas every 4-5 days that I hate. I'd settle for a larger gas tank! 😂
Received on 12/28/2023: 2024 X7 XDrive 40i Obsidian Black, Coffee Vernasca Leather, M SPORT, EXECUTIVE, DYNAMIC, ASSISTANCE PRO PKG, LUX SEATING, COLD WEATHER, PARK ASSIST, Ambient Air, Shadowline Trim,
Harman Kardon, Trailer Hitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:

Is there a YouTube video out on how to install the chip? I saw your few pictures but was yet curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:30 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultattoo View Post
What can you do about mpg? For me it's not the cash, it's stopping for gas every 4-5 days that I hate. I'd settle for a larger gas tank! 😂
They advertise up 20% MPG.
I personally never care about it, but all I can say, with my X3MC gain of additional 100hp at the crank, I am still at the same average MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
Is there a YouTube video out on how to install the chip? I saw your few pictures but was yet curious.
I have yet to put together installation instruction for 50i, but I don't have any YouTube video on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
They advertise up 20% MPG.
I personally never care about it, but all I can say, with my X3MC gain of additional 100hp at the crank, I am still at the same average MPG.

I have yet to put together installation instruction for 50i, but I don't have any YouTube video on them.
I ordered a 40i, so that’s where I would be looking for install instructions. Please PM me prices and details. I would first want to know what I’m doing before purchasing.
Appreciate 0