BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum How are UK X7 drivers getting on?

02-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

How are UK X7 drivers getting on?

I'm toying with the X7. Slight concern over the length of it for UK parking spaces.

Interested to hear how UK owners are getting on generally. And how the 30d engine manages economy wise.

If I get one, I will be coming out of a Discovery 5, about 18cm shorter, a bit taller and the same width. The Disco fits pretty easily everywhere, helped by the fact that you have to open the doors very little to step down and out.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Paul847
Registered
Rep
Drives: X7 3.0 Msport

X7 vs Discovery 5

Hi,

I recently changed my D5 to the X7 and was equally concerned about the length and width of the X7.
I actually found the X7 easier to park, the cameras are fantastic and so clear.
Boot space is a bonus, I found the curving of the D5 rear very disappointing compared to my D3 and i had lost space.
I ended up getting a X7 3.0 msport with 22 inch wheels and have been very pleased with it so far

Hope this helps

Paul
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Im not in the UK but can relate to it

I too changed from a D5 to an X7, yes its longer but no issues by comparison, as has been mentioned the cameras are really good on the X7. I also find the split tailgate better plus many other positives for me going back to BMW from LR.

I cant comment on the 30d as I have the 40i.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the change.
      06-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul847 View Post
Hi,

I recently changed my D5 to the X7 and was equally concerned about the length and width of the X7.
I actually found the X7 easier to park, the cameras are fantastic and so clear.
Boot space is a bonus, I found the curving of the D5 rear very disappointing compared to my D3 and i had lost space.
I ended up getting a X7 3.0 msport with 22 inch wheels and have been very pleased with it so far

Hope this helps

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Im not in the UK but can relate to it

I too changed from a D5 to an X7, yes its longer but no issues by comparison, as has been mentioned the cameras are really good on the X7. I also find the split tailgate better plus many other positives for me going back to BMW from LR.

I cant comment on the 30d as I have the 40i.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the change.
Thanks for the responses guys. I'd forgotten about this thread! Here's what happened:

Ended up taking a X7 30d for a 24 hour test drive, including 80 miles of commute. Had a thorough go in it and it was a tough decision vs. another D5. Especially as the X7 was cheaper. There was a point where I had decided that if my LR dealer didn't take the price down another £20 a month, I was going X7.

Paul, I know what you mean about the better cameras etc. in the X7 (I have surround in the D5) but pure old-school parking I find much easier with the big mirrors, huge glass and high driving position of the LR. Also the X7 just overhangs spaces more, nothing really we can do about that.

Much prefer the X7 tailgate to the D5 space-robbing plank.

I was struggling so much to decide, especially as the strengths were often opposing, that I even wrote down and scored what turned out to be 16 attributes. The score was 140 (D5) vs 139 X7 absolutely nothing in it.

At a high level it was better comfort, parking, luxury and stereo in the Discovery vs. better handling, driving aids, technology in the X7. The D5 also won on character/emotional appeal and SUV-ness for me, two intangibles. It was those things that nailed my decision in the end, not the objective measures which were a draw in effect.

Great cars both and I've no doubt I'd have been just as happy with a X7.

If either of you are struggling to sleep, here's how i scored it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

I hadnt noticed the date of your post

Pretty close by your scoring, I guess some of it for both vehicles also depends on the spec or options chosen.

Thanks for sharing
      06-04-2020, 04:30 AM   #6
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
I hadnt noticed the date of your post

Pretty close by your scoring, I guess some of it for both vehicles also depends on the spec or options chosen.

Thanks for sharing
Yes, certainly does - spec wise it was a D5 HSE Luxury with a few options versus the X7 MSport 30d with the tech pack. The test X7 also had the Luxury(?) pack - the one with comfort massaging seats and a few other bits.

Most specs were aligned, although the Disco had things like rear seat screens and opening pano roof (X7 fixed iirc). Plus the 825w Meridian Surround (vs HK in the BMW, I could not have justified the B&O upgrade).

But it was bloody nice being back with iDrive for 24 hours.

The decision was what to replace a Disco that was being rejected, so there was also an intangible of 'I'm not done with having a Land Rover yet' after only having one for six months at that point.

The perfect solution would have been a Discovery with BMW tech. Sadly not an option.

First world problems, we're lucky to have these cars

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 05:04 AM   #7
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Yes, certainly does - spec wise it was a D5 HSE Luxury with a few options versus the X7 MSport 30d with the tech pack. The test X7 also had the Luxury(?) pack - the one with comfort massaging seats and a few other bits.

Most specs were aligned, although the Disco had things like rear seat screens and opening pano roof (X7 fixed iirc). Plus the 825w Meridian Surround (vs HK in the BMW, I could not have justified the B&O upgrade).

But it was bloody nice being back with iDrive for 24 hours.

The decision was what to replace a Disco that was being rejected, so there was also an intangible of 'I'm not done with having a Land Rover yet' after only having one for six months at that point.

The perfect solution would have been a Discovery with BMW tech. Sadly not an option.

First world problems, we're lucky to have these cars
I think in the same situation of only having the LR for a short time I might have done the same.

I went from a 40d X5 in the UK to the newly launched D5 in the UAE when I moved here and had it for approaching 3 years. I was happy with almost everything apart from the tech.

3 years is stretching my limit on keeping a vehicle so started looking around at the new X5 but then a long story short I was offered an amazing deal on a full option X7 so went with that and Im quite happy.

Had there been something remarkably different about the D5 I might have considered it again but the current model is very little different to the one I had.

The one thing I do miss for the odd occasion is the off road capability of the D5 which used to be fun in some of the remote parts of the country but something I can live without. For occasional times on a bit of sand or rock here the X7 is OK.

As you say first world problems and we are extremely lucky to be able to choose between two such great vehicles.