01-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Got mine in today for my 50i. No idea how to install it. The instructions don’t show pics of this vehicle — they’re pretty poor. So any guidance welcomed

Thanks.
Let me put it in words for now since I am on my mobile, pictures won't come out in order.

1. Remove both front chassis reinforcement bars to have better access to the sensors.

2. Locate the sensors, they are on the bottom side of the intercooler. One on each side.

3. Unclip the oem sensor by sliding back the locking tab then press to unlock the clip then pull out.

4. Connect the OEM connector (Male) to Harness A or B (in this engine it doesn't matter) female connector then the Harness male back to the sensor on the intercooler. Repeat on the other side.
Note: Driver side is a bit hard, you may need to remove the air intake snorkle partially or fully. They are just clip on.

I hope this help.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #24
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

This scares me a bit....

(But thanks, very helpful).
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      01-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #25
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I installed the Racechip RS. You weren’t kidding it was tough to get to some of those connections jeez. A few questions:

- I can’t get it to show itself on Bluetooth even though I got the Bluetooth version with the app.
- the green light on the unit is always on—even when the vehicle is shut off.....
- the main unit looked a little scuffed up when I got it, almost like it was a return or something
- my little orange check engine symbol in my dash is on. I think that’s normal and it’ll go away in a few hundred miles driving or something? (I assume if it were completely improperly connected the car wouldn’t run??). I think I’ve noticed a little more power but it’s honestly a little hard to tell.

Whole thing makes me nervous!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #26
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

also noticed my remote start isn’t working.

I decided to unplug the Racechip from the end of the harness and plug in the dummy end plug, so that little green light doesn’t stay on all night have me worrying about this thing draining battery. Remote start still not working but I’m guessing that’s either the check engine light disabling it or something about leaving the harness plugged in without the racechip.

Slowly starting to regret this “easy” “upgrade”
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #27
G80POWER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60i

Quote:
Well I installed the Racechip RS. You weren’t kidding it was tough to get to some of those connections jeez. A few questions:

- I can’t get it to show itself on Bluetooth even though I got the Bluetooth version with the app.
- the green light on the unit is always on—even when the vehicle is shut off.....
- the main unit looked a little scuffed up when I got it, almost like it was a return or something
- my little orange check engine symbol in my dash is on. I think that’s normal and it’ll go away in a few hundred miles driving or something? (I assume if it were completely improperly connected the car wouldn’t run??). I think I’ve noticed a little more power but it’s honestly a little hard to tell.

Sounds like it may not be installed right? I never had a check engine light from mine before and should have anything to do with your remote start not working. Did you happen to get the newest iDrive update from BMW because it seems like that has been disabling it and it has been having to be RE-enabled in I-Drive. I’ll be getting mine next week and we’ll see if there are any issues with mine but my F90 M5 worked great.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:34 PM   #28
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did get the new Idrive update. But I reenabled remote start and it was working fine before this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #29
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I’m going on a long drive tomorrow and thinking I’ll unplug it and just leave the dummy plug in for now until I get this all sorted out. I would just unplug everything but it’s a huge pain in the rear to find and make these connections. I’d need to call my brother in law back to have him make the connections because I can’t seem to reach any of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #30
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You will need to contact RaceChip on the Bluetooth.
If you buy from me, I will be able to look it up.

The Green Light will turn off when the car goes to sleep.
When you turn off the car, there are still power going around the car for around 20-30 minutes.

If you get it shipped from Germany, sometime it slides around the packaging and got scuffed up.
It happened to me couple times.

Which little orange light is it?
Post a picture so I can help you.
There are many orange light on the dash. Such as DSC OFF, Hood is Open, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #31
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
also noticed my remote start isn’t working.

I decided to unplug the Racechip from the end of the harness and plug in the dummy end plug, so that little green light doesn’t stay on all night have me worrying about this thing draining battery. Remote start still not working but I’m guessing that’s either the check engine light disabling it or something about leaving the harness plugged in without the racechip.

Slowly starting to regret this “easy” “upgrade”
RaceChip won't cause Remote Start issue. Unless if your CEL causing it to be disabled.

Did you let the car to sleep before you unplug the sensors?
If you didn't let the car sleep during installation, you may trigger CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:07 AM   #32
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
RaceChip won't cause Remote Start issue. Unless if your CEL causing it to be disabled.

Did you let the car to sleep before you unplug the sensors?
If you didn't let the car sleep during installation, you may trigger CEL.
Yes I think it’s the check engine light. See below.

And no, I didn’t let the car go to sleep before unplugging the sensors. Sounds like that is the issue maybe. I thought once you locked the car and everything shut off it was “asleep.” Didn’t realize you have to wait 30 minutes.

They should have instructions that tell you all this. The instructions are horrible. Without your help no way I could have installed it, as the instructions come with pictures or a Volkswagen engine bay...
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      01-12-2020, 05:09 AM   #33
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I assume there’s a way I can reset the CEL over the ODBII port if I get one of those readers?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:17 AM   #34
G80POWER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60i

Quote:
I assume there’s a way I can reset the CEL over the ODBII port if I get one of those readers?
It usually resets on its own after several cycles. I wouldn’t use an OBII tool to manually reset it in case it is on for something totally unrelated to installing the Racechip without fully powering down or disconnecting the battery first. If that was what triggered it then it should reset on its own.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      01-12-2020, 05:33 AM   #35
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90POWER View Post
It usually resets on its own after several cycles. I wouldn’t use an OBII tool to manually reset it in case it is on for something totally unrelated to installing the Racechip without fully powering down or disconnecting the battery first. If that was what triggered it then it should reset on its own.
Great thanks for all the help here.

So in your estimation sounds like there's nothing terribly wrong here, regarding the green light on the racechip remaining on, and the check engine light? Ok for me to assume the car wouldn't run fine, as it has been, if there were a real problem here (for example, if one of the sensors remained disconnected)?

Thanks again.
      01-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #36
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Confirmed the green light went off after about 20 mins. Thanks for the tip — makes me feel more confident that it’s properly connected.
      01-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #37
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wonder if there’s a way to reset the RaceChip RS, to force it to start searching for a Bluetooth connection again. Not to erase it entirely to delete the program though. I suppose I’ll find out if I ever hear back from RaceChip...
      01-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #38
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if there's a way to reset the RaceChip RS, to force it to start searching for a Bluetooth connection again. Not to erase it entirely to delete the program though. I suppose I'll find out if I ever hear back from RaceChip...
PM me your serial number, I'll email them to check the backend registration.
Seems like it that the module is not registered to the backend database properly.

Nothing to reset on the module itself. Everything is on the backend server.
If it purchased from me, I have access to all of the unit and I can fix it right away. But not if it direct from RaceChip.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #39
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
PM me your serial number, I'll email them to check the backend registration.
Seems like it that the module is not registered to the backend database properly.

Nothing to reset on the module itself. Everything is on the backend server.
If it purchased from me, I have access to all of the unit and I can fix it right away. But not if it direct from RaceChip.
Wish I had purchased from you!! Ok thanks will PM you!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      01-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #40
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

When do you get the performance change? As soon as bluetooth activates it?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #41
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Supposedly don’t need to link to Bluetooth to get the performance gain.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #42
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
No, the Bluetooth is to have the App to connect to the module so you can change the map.
On the RS with App, there is not manual adjustment on the module. But, by default, brand new out of the box, it is on Map 4. Which have a mild gain already.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:23 AM   #43
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, RaceChip customer service has been less than great. Slow to respond, not very good communication. Sounds like my unit isn't working, so I have to unplug it and ship it back to Germany.

I recommend you buy from r33_RGSport instead -- he's been very helpful! (r33_RGSport, I sent you a PM!)
      01-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #44
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, RaceChip customer service has been less than great. Slow to respond, not very good communication. Sounds like my unit isn't working, so I have to unplug it and ship it back to Germany.

I recommend you buy from r33_RGSport instead -- he's been very helpful! (r33_RGSport, I sent you a PM!)
Glad I can help.
Appreciate 0