BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Winter tire - anybody mount each year?

02-03-2020, 11:25 PM   #23
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russamur View Post
Waiting on a M50i with 22s and will have to get a 21” set for the winters here in North East. Is there a good thread with listings of non BMW sets available (not looking for cheapest)? Or maybe a good thread/website where I could get 21 inch take offs from other X7s? My first foray into BMWs so trying to read up on forums here.
https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1674370

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1654282

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1678488
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 12:23 AM   #24
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaaan View Post
Never ran a dedicated winter tire before, and looking into options.

Seems popular to buy a dedicated winter wheel/tire set.

Does anybody have a set of winter tires, and just pay to have them mounted each year?

I realize this would incur mount/balance twice a year. But you would also have the bonus of having fresh road force balanced tires. And paying for 6 mountings (I only keep vehicles 3 years max) is still far cheaper than another set of OEM wheels.
I do.

1. I lease, so I'm not interested in owning a set of winter wheels that will almost never fit onto my next lease a mere 3 seasons later. I get it if people buy the car and intend to keep it for 5-7 years, then it may make some sense. For me as a leaser, it doesn't.

2. I like the look of the stock wheels and don't like driving around in lesser wheels during Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and several other holiday gatherings during winter time. I want my X7 to look its best when the kids are home from college and we're visiting relatives.

3. Lastly, I let BMW handle it, the mounting costs around $380 per year, the wheels are never scuffed, the tires get nicely packed in my trunk, often it syncs with an oil change, I get a car wash and I get free coffee and yogurt for my trouble. That's break even or close to it for going the other way and buying new wheels. Why bother.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 06:31 AM   #25
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Waiting on a M50i with 22s and will have to get a 21” set for the winters here in North East. Is there a good thread with listings of non BMW sets available (not looking for cheapest)? Or maybe a good thread/website where I could get 21 inch take offs from other X7s? My first foray into BMWs so trying to read up on forums here.
I would recommend you also check the for sale section of the X5 forum. There are more X5's on the road so the probability of finding a BMW take off set there is higher. Just need to verify if the wheels will fit the X7 based on diameter, width and offset. Regarding going the aftermarket wheel route, as the discussion above indicated, not all aftermarket wheels are created equal. You usually do "get what you pay for" when it comes to aftermarket wheels. That said, there still are good quality aftermarket wheels that can be had for cheaper prices than OEM wheels from the dealer - you just need to do your due diligence when searching. Just buy them from reputable vendors, like Tire Rack, where you can ask questions and reasonably trust the info provided so that you can make an informed purchase decision.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:02 AM   #26
Russamur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I would recommend you also check the for sale section of the X5 forum. There are more X5's on the road so the probability of finding a BMW take off set there is higher. Just need to verify if the wheels will fit the X7 based on diameter, width and offset. Regarding going the aftermarket wheel route, as the discussion above indicated, not all aftermarket wheels are created equal. You usually do "get what you pay for" when it comes to aftermarket wheels. That said, there still are good quality aftermarket wheels that can be had for cheaper prices than OEM wheels from the dealer - you just need to do your due diligence when searching. Just buy them from reputable vendors, like Tire Rack, where you can ask questions and reasonably trust the info provided so that you can make an informed purchase decision.
Thanks for X5 tip. Will look in there
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #27
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I do.

1. I lease, so I'm not interested in owning a set of winter wheels that will almost never fit onto my next lease a mere 3 seasons later. I get it if people buy the car and intend to keep it for 5-7 years, then it may make some sense. For me as a leaser, it doesn't.

2. I like the look of the stock wheels and don't like driving around in lesser wheels during Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and several other holiday gatherings during winter time. I want my X7 to look its best when the kids are home from college and we're visiting relatives.

3. Lastly, I let BMW handle it, the mounting costs around $380 per year, the wheels are never scuffed, the tires get nicely packed in my trunk, often it syncs with an oil change, I get a car wash and I get free coffee and yogurt for my trouble. That's break even or close to it for going the other way and buying new wheels. Why bother.
Nuff said!

Here's the tires that my BMW dealer recommended. The sidewall height drops by 5, but they fit great and fit on my 22's.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1294.00
      02-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #28
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefflikescars View Post
Nuff said!

Here's the tires that my BMW dealer recommended. The sidewall height drops by 5, but they fit great and fit on my 22's.

How much life do you think you will get out of them based on the length of your winter driving season? 2,3,4 years? If you had to estimate, how many miles per year do you drive with winter tires in your winter season?

I also noticed that an X7 owner posted in the review section about using these tires w/the 22" wheels. Except that person posted different sizes than your link: F: 285/40-22, R: 325/35-22.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 02-04-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #29
Russamur
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nuff said!

Not being critical just thinking out loud - these tires cost about $1800 per set. Plus 380 x 3 to mount them every year ends up being close to 3K. If you can get wheels and tires that you can swap yourself for about 4K isn’t it about the same, considering you can also sell them at the end of your lease?
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #30
Jefflikescars
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i, Navigator, Mod Y Perf

Quote:
Not being critical just thinking out loud - these tires cost about $1800 per set. Plus 380 x 3 to mount them every year ends up being close to 3K. If you can get wheels and tires that you can swap yourself for about 4K isn’t it about the same, considering you can also sell them at the end of your lease?
My mount and balance was about $100 (BMW dealer). My BMW Service Advisor even dropped a loaner off to me, took my car in himself, then brought it back when it was done! (Ok it helps that he lives literally across the street)

$1800 tires
$600 (tires on/off twice per year, 3 year lease)
$2,400 total

If I could do it all over again, I'd honestly probably just order the X7 with the 21's. I powder coated my 22" V-Spokes all black anyway, and the winter tire options would have been far easier.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1833.00
      02-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #31
Russamur
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My mount and balance was about $100 (BMW dealer). My BMW Service Advisor even dropped a loaner off to me, took my car in himself, then brought it back when it was done! (Ok it helps that he lives literally across the street)

$1800 tires
$600 (tires on/off twice per year, 3 year lease)
$2,400 total

If I could do it all over again, I'd honestly probably just order the X7 with the 21's. I powder coated my 22" V-Spokes all black anyway, and the winter tire options would have been far easier.
So I am going to be in the same boat as you. 3 year lease. Might make sense to just swap the tires twice a year and not worry about resale of the wheels when the lease is over. I am also planning to powder coat the 22s upon delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #32
Russamur
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the links.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #33
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Remember, the tires wear out. So you wind up with a deteriorating consumable that isn't worth much after 3 years and wheels which the bargain hunters on the resale sites try to get for free.

Where I live there are a ton of BMW wheels + tires for sale on Craigslist to the point where it's a buyers market and prices are ridiculously low. For the couple hundred bucks its just not worth the hassle or the sometimes sketchy types that show up.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:55 AM   #34
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Remember, the tires wear out. So you wind up with a deteriorating consumable that isn't worth much after 3 years and wheels which the bargain hunters on the resale sites try to get for free.

Where I live there are a ton of BMW wheels + tires for sale on Craigslist to the point where it's a buyers market and prices are ridiculously low. For the couple hundred bucks its just not worth the hassle or the sometimes sketchy types that show up.
I’ve sold countless parts, cars and wheels over the past 25 yrs and can say I’ve never had an issue. I always meet buyers at the local police station and winter tires resale always goes quick. Especially right before the winter season. Don’t knock something you’ve never done or don’t know anything about.

Last edited by BMWBear; 02-05-2020 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #35
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Can those with winter tire driving experience provide some insight/experience on how many miles a typical set of winter tires will last? I ask in terms of miles vice winters/years since the winter season in North Dakota, for example, is obviously longer than say Maryland (and I know people in MD that swap out for winter tires even though the winter season here is pretty short). Admittedly, I have zero winter tire ownership/driving experience.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #36
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

insufficient data to say for the x7 specifically since it is so new but generally speaking on a similar vehicles with 21" and 22" dedicated winter tires you can expect around 20-24k miles. rotating (if possible) with proper inflation and alignment extends life also not being lazy and driving into the warmer season will preserve tread as well. the lowest i have heard of was around 15k miles on 4L Q7, L405 RRSC, X166 GLS where people were wearing out the inner shoulder of the tires or uneven wear in general etc.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1833.00
      02-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #37
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Btw: 2nd gen Audi Q7 wheels fit directly and Mercedes suv wheels will fit too if you use spacers.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #38
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I’ve sold countless parts, cars and wheels over the past 25 yrs and can say I’ve never had an issue. I always meet buyers at the local police station and winter tires resale always goes quick. Especially right before the winter season. Don’t knock something you’ve never done or don’t know anything about.
Never done? I've sold winter tires on Craigslist, hell, I even sold a 3 Series on Craigslist. Half the time the transactions go fine, the other half, it's a scary proposition, some of the people that show up, even at a neutral location like Starbucks, raise an eyebrow.

The difference between rotating rubber and re-mounting wheels is negligible for owners of a $100,000 luxury SUV. No need to deal with the inconvenience or the risk. Buy tires, no wheels, let BMW flip 'em in December and March, get your free coffee and car wash, done.
Appreciate 3
      02-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #39
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Never done? I've sold winter tires on Craigslist, hell, I even sold a 3 Series on Craigslist. Half the time the transactions go fine, the other half, it's a scary proposition, some of the people that show up, even at a neutral location like Starbucks, raise an eyebrow.

The difference between rotating rubber and re-mounting wheels is negligible for owners of a $100,000 luxury SUV. No need to deal with the inconvenience or the risk. Buy tires, no wheels, let BMW flip 'em in December and March, get your free coffee and car wash, done.
Maybe I’m just better at vetting my inquires but I’ve sold a 42ft RV, seven cars including a model T and A, 15+ sets of wheels, guitars, and countless other random parts and have yet to have a bad experience to date.

Here’s where you and me differ. I prefer to wash my own car, change my own oil and swap my own wheels. The less someone other then me touches my cars the better. I’d rather spend time selling wheels then waiting for my tires to get swapped and car possibly damaged while in someone else’s hands.

One must just go with the solution that fits their needs best.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #40
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Btw: 2nd gen Audi Q7 wheels fit directly and Mercedes suv wheels will fit too if you use spacers.
Why did BMW switch to 5x112?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 01:10 AM   #41
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
The risk of damaging the wheels during mounting/dismounting and damage from winter elements deter me from using one set of wheels. I’ve always preferred a dedicated set for winter use.
+1
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7264.00
      02-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #42
Russamur
Enlisted Member
Rep

Related but unrelated -- I was actually going to powder coat original 22s in black, but I seems like I am in the wrong area. Called 3 places already and all price it out at about $200 per wheel which includes take off, powder coat, install, balance, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #43
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Related but unrelated -- I was actually going to powder coat original 22s in black, but I seems like I am in the wrong area. Called 3 places already and all price it out at about $200 per wheel which includes take off, powder coat, install, balance, etc.
If your question is if you are being quoted a fair price, I would say yes. I see you are in MD, I live in the DMV area and recently had the 20" wheels on my M3 powder coated for $900.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:41 AM   #44
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Pricing seems to be accurate. Painting will be anywhere from $150-175 per wheel if you work directly with the shop (without them picking up or delivering) and about $250 per wheel through a dealership. Powder coating will be $200-250 if you work directly and about $350-450 per wheel if you go through dealership.
Appreciate 0